friends, following article is old. I’ve released a new version (total five article series) with more tips, in light of CSAT 2012. So Please visit following link
Following is an old article-don’t read
As I keep saying GS prep. is like Kung-fu, everyone has to develop his own style but given the lot of email queries here it goes:
This study plan is designed on two key-points
- Plausible in the given time limit
- Requires Minimum Expenditure
This plan is not exhaustive, this plan doesnot guarantee 100% success, this plan is only for those who’re totally confused about what to do and where to start.
- General Studies (GS) Manual
- Science and Technology (S&T)
- Economy for GS
- Polity for GS
- History for GS
- Geography for GS
- Environment and Biodiversity (E&B)
- Empowerment and Social Issues
- Public Policy and Rights Issue
- Mock Tests Practice
- To sum up the plan
- Download Links NCERT: Science, Geography, History etc.
- Download Links NOS: Economy, Polity etc.
- Other important articles/tips
|GS Manual a very thick book containing almost every topic of General Studies (Geography History, Polity, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc.)
Many publication houses (TMH, Unique,Spectrum,Pearson) release their Manuals.
You should buy atleast one of them. Because after each topic, they provide hundreds of mock questions, you must solve them to gain confidence and command over the topic.
If you have not purchased a GS manual, I recommend you get TMH (TataMacgrawhill’s) Click me to get it from flipkart.com with attractive discount.Hindi version of this GS manual is also available on Flipkart. Click Me to get Hindi Version TMH Manual
Crux of this whole plan is : First read NCERT, then read GS Manual and at last solve the Mock-questions given at the end of GS Manual.
- NCERTs 7 to 10 (science): Can be downloaded for Free. For English medium scroll down to the bottom of this article you’ll get the download links
- for Hindi Medium click me
- For Arts and Commerce grads, the 11-12th science NCERT may appear very tiresome, so leave them.
- GS Manual’s Science and Technology section (the explanations and principles of various things are important, “Why” this or that?) + the mock tests given in it. If you’ve purchased any Manual, well and good- just stick to it. But if you’re yet to purchase a GS manual, I suggest you get TataMacgrawhill’s GS Manual.
- Not much point in mugging up inventors, radius of Saturn’s moons, chem.formulas, Latin names of various plant and animal kingdoms and families etc in the manual.
- The Hindu’s S&T section (can be read online).
- Liberal use of websites such as Howstuffworks and Kids’ Encyclopedia Britannica for time pass.
- I regularly provide updates on Science & Tech related articles, You can access them on mrunal.org/snt
If you’re Yet to purchase Laxmikanth, Do it from Flipkart.com, Get it at home within 3 business-days. with almost 40% discount!
The level of difficulty shown in last years’ paper for E&B, ain’t no point in doing Ph.D.
Again this study-plan is not exhaustive, it doesnot cover each and every topic.
Please read my separate article on it. How to prepare Rights Issues ? Click Me
No amount of preparation is complete, unless you practice some mock questions. I’ve provided the free blank answersheets (click me to download). Print them, then take 15-20 photocopies of them and practice the mock questions given at the end of each topic in your General Studies Manual.
You must read either The Hindu or Indian Express on daily basis and maintain a current affairs diary from it.
The Tips on newspaper reading, are given in a seperate article Click ME
- No one can score 100% in GS. So have plausible targets :
I’ll cover polity so good that If they ask 8 Questions, I can tick atleast 5 correctly without hesitation.
- I believe UPSC will continue the trend of asking from the ‘basic-concepts’ to crush the coaching factories of Delhi and to give level playing ground to the newcomers. So, You should have impeccable command over the basics.
- Over-reliance on internet for GS preparation = mistake.
- When they give you four statements and ask you to identify correct or incorrect ones, you can do it only if you’ve impeccable command over the basics, otherwise you’ll always feel 50-50.
- That’s why I recommend you use NCERTs and GS Manual, because they deal with the basics. In the market, there are lot of books and magz ‘special issues’ dealing with each topic, but have the tendency of “fact/data-bombing” or unnecessary elaboration (Ph.D-izing) to make the things complicated.
- From now on to 20th May: Buying new book, for any topic, is useless unless you’ve the time and energy to do revision atleast 3 times. So Better to read one book thrice instead of reading three new-books once.
- UPSC= unpredictable PSC, Just because last year they didnot ask map-question in CSAT, doesn’t mean they won’t do the same this year. So always be prepared for unexpected surprises, never take things for granted.
These Zip files contain PDF files. All of them important for concept/fact based Multi choice questions on Science, History, Geography, Polity, Culture.
|Science Class 7||Download|
|Our Pasts Part 2 – Class 7||Download|
|Social and Political Life Part 2 – Class 7||Download|
|Our Environment Class 7||Download|
|Science Class 8||Download|
|Our Pasts Part 3 – Class 8||Download|
|Resource and Development Class 8||Download|
|Social and Political Life – Class 8||Download|
|Science Class 9||Download|
|Contemporary India Social Science for Class 9||Download|
|Economics for Class 9||Download|
|India and Contemporary World 1 for Class 9||Download|
|Science Class X||Download|
|India and the Contemporary World 2 Class X Social Science||Download|
|Democratic Politics Part 2 for Class X Social Science||Download|
|Contemporary India Part 2 for Class X Social Science||Download|
|Understanding Economic Development Class X Social Science||Download|
|Fundamentals of Physical Geography Class 11||Download|
|India Physical Environment Geography Class 11||Download|
|Indian Economic Development Economics Class 11||Download|
|Themes in World History Class 11||Download|
|India People and Economy Class 12||Download|
|Introductory Microeconomics Class 12||Download|
|Macroeconomics Class 12||Download|
|Fundamentals of Human Geography Class 12||Download|
|Themes in India History 1 Class 12||Download|
|Themes in India History 2 Class 12||Download|
|Themes in India History 3 Class 12||Download|
|Economics Basics||click me|
|Indian Culture and Heritage||click me|
UPDATE: Other important articles
- Also use the 30 Days Revision plan 4 CSAT (click Me)
- See the Analysis of CSAT General Studies (Paper I) exam taken on 20th May 2012
- Working Professionals- read the five rules (Click ME)
- There are five types of players in UPSC, which one are you? Click ME
- How to read India Yearbook? Click ME
- What to do in last 100 days before the CSAT preliminary exam? Click ME