The nickname given to the 5 permanent members of the UN Security council (UNSC)
- United States
They’ve been misusing their Veto power for personal aims, since a long time.
In the spring 2012, Russia’s and China’s used their veto-power to prevent UN Security council from passing resolutions criticizing the Syrian government for the human rights violation. [Recall the earlier article: why does Russia support Syria?]
“Small Five”, is the group of
- Costa Rica,
They want reforms following reforms in UNSC, particularly the Veto mechanism.
- Regular consultations between members and nonmembers of the council;
- Greater role for nations that contribute troops for UN peacekeeping missions in africa etc.
- Political restrictions of the use of the veto.
- Permanent members should explain their reasons for resorting to a veto,
Permanent Members shouldn’t use their Veto power in following cases
- and in cases of genocide
- other serious violations of human rights / international humanitarian law
- In the May 2012, The S-Five, tried to move a resolution in this regard, in the UN General Assembly, but the Big Five forced them to withdraw it.
- The other UN member nations, secretly appreciate the demands of S-5, but donot openly support S-5. (Besides, all the “powerful” UN members such as India, Germany want UNSC permanent seats with veto powers for themselves!)