This is shared by Varoon Bakshi.
- The River Dolphin is found in the River Ganges.
- In 2009, The Ganga River Dolphin was declared the National Aquatic Animal of India by the National Ganga River Basin Authority which is chaired by the Prime Minister.
- The Ganga River Dolphin is basically found in the Ganga and Brahmaputra river systems.
- Around 1500-2000 River Dolphins are found in the aforementioned two river systems.
- The scientific name of the Ganga River Dolphin is Platanista Gangetica.
Problems faced by River Dolphins
- The habitats of the Ganga River Dolphins are shrinking as smaller rivers are drying up and bigger rivers do not have uninterrupted flow of water in various parts.
- Thus the Ganga River Dolphins are perhaps one of the few creatures which face extinction due to the destruction of their habitat instead of being hunted or poached.
- Although, these river dolphins are hunted for their oil and sometimes they get stuck in the nets of the fishermen and die.
- By declaring the Ganga River Dolphin as the National Aquatic Animal of India there will be some focus on the plight of these animals.