[Question Paper] Anthropology Mains 2012 Paper 1 & 2 UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS exam

The usual instructions- and 5 are compulsory and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each section.
300 marks and 3 hours.

Anthropology Mains 2012 : Paper 1

Section A

1. 150 words each
    1. How natural selection acts on variation?
    2. Ways of acquiring a spouse in simpler societies
    3. Post-modernism in anthropology
    4. relative dating methods
    5. adaptive radiation in context of evolution
  2. 20 markers
    1. Discuss race Crossing in humans with suitable examples
    2. Distinguish between religion, magic and science
    3. discuss the role of ABO  blood group system in resolving cases of disputed paternity.
  3. 20 markers
    1. compare and contrast the skull of Gorilla and man
    2. discussed the typology and distribution of upper palaeolithic cultures in India
    3. What are the legal and sublethal genes? Explain
  4. sub questions
    1. Describe the types of kinship groups formed on the basis of different principles  20 marks
    2. give a competitive account of the variations in haemoglobin levels and respiratory functions among the populations living under different environmental stresses – 30 marks
    3. commented briefly on the phylogenetic  position of Australopithecines. -  10 marks

Paper I Section B

1. 12 markers, 150 words each
    1. is family a social institution?
    2. Application of anthropometry in designing
    3. band and tribal societies
    4. Genetic counselling
    5. Epidemiological  anthropology
  2. 20 markers
    1. how does improved aerobic fitness increase  exercise tolerance in warm humid climates? Give suitable examples in support of your answer.
    2. what are the tools of data collection? Discuss the advantages and limitations of participant – observations as a technique of data collection
    3. discuss the chromosomal aberrations and manifestations of Klinefelter and Turner Syndromes
  3. 20 markers
    1. explain any to biological theories of ageing based on purposeful events
    2. what are the basis of social stratification? Discuss with examples
    3. explain the concept of status and role in anthropology
  4. 20 markers
    1. briefly discuss the important causes for the variations in occurrence and intensity of parasitic disease among different populations
    2. what are the genetic effects of Consanguinity ?  give examples
    3. briefly discuss the applications of the knowledge of human osteology in  forensic investigations.

Anthropology Mains Paper 2 :

Section A

1. 12 markers 150 words each
    1. Sacred geography
    2. Youth Dormitory
    3. Narmada Man
    4. participatory rural appraisal
    5. Palaeolithic Art
  2. 20 markers
    1. traced the trajectory of encyclopaedic works on the tribes and casts of South India with special reference to Anathakrishna Iyer’s contribution
    2. discussed the concept of indigenous people as per the relevant UN Convention. Are the tribals of India indigenous people? Comment
    3. critically examine the relationship between tribal communities and the nation – State on the issues of governance
  3. 30 markers
    1. Examine the relevance of tribal Panchsheel by  Jawahar Lal Nehru in the light of emerging development practices.
    2. using the ethnographic examples, highlight the process of religious conversions in tribal India.
  4. 20 markers
    1. compare the contributions of S C Roy and Verrier Elwin to the tribal ethnographies  in India
    2. using ethnographic examples, went out of how gender relationship changed over time among central Indian tribes.
    3. how has globalisation infected agrarian relations in the last two decades?

Section B

1. 12 markers, 150 words
    1. colonial ethnograpcommodification of tribal art
    2. Soan cultur
    3. ethnic issues in genetic research
    4. indigenous knowledge
  2. 30 markers
    1. critically examine the prevalence of caste ideology among religious minorities in Indian context
    2. discuss the linkages between language, territoriality and kinship among the tribes of north-east India
  3. 20 markers
    1. critically examine the national policy on rehabilitation and resettlement substantiating it with experiences from different parts of India
    2. compare the salient features and distribution of middle Palaeolithic and upper Palaeolithic cultures in India. And add a note on tools traditions of upper Palaeolithic period.
  4. 20 markers
    1. critically examine the book view and field view of social reality
    2. using examples, comment on how anthropology can be utilised in policy-making
    3. briefly comment on the linkages between (1)  gender and customary law (2)  gender and caste. (10 marks each)
Lucent General Knowledge Objective English

1. kkp says:

thanks a lot mrunal!

2. Pradeep says:

Hello Mrunal sir…Whether Anthropology is suitable only for persons having Medical background ??? Ur suggestions pls???

3. Nishi Sharma says:

Anthropology is suitable to all who can think analytically. It is a very good subject. It can be done in short span of time without coaching and this subject is very much scoring, small(though its syllabus seems quite large). Questions are very straightforward and writing good answer is very easy based on knowledge and analytical thinking.

4. Nishi Sharma says:

If u want any help, please feel free to ask :)

• dileep reddy says:

if available can u upload philosophy &sanskrit mains 2012 papers

• Devendra says:

Hi Nishi,

I will be appearing for Civil services in 2013 and planning to take Anthro as one of the optional. I am from Engg background.
      I would request you to plz guide me in this regard. Just to let you know that I haven’t read any books/ notes till now for Anthro though have gone through the syallbus and found it quite interesting.

• Nishi Sharma says:

I am also Engg Background, and this subject is very easy and interesting, if you can analyse thngs. Things once studied for socio topics will always remain there in ur memory :)

U can start ur preparation as u have planned,writing 200 word answers for most topics will help u to concentrate points into a single answer for each topic.,but u have to go through these books n select which all will suit u best. But, I suggest not to read Ember from exam point of view,also no need for a particular order of topics for study, dont hang on too much to any topic as all topics are worthy of equal time.

List of Books-

An outline of Indian Pre history-DK Bhattacharya(helpful for Pap.ii initial topics,also chronology in pap.i)

Organic Evolution-Veer Bala Rastogi (for genetics in pap.i & also evolution)

Anthropological thought-Makhan Jha( is a must as nowadays,theories are being freq.asked, even if it is suggested to attempt physical qns. in pap.i rathr than theory qns., at times v may b forcd to attempt a theory one too.)

Outline of Physical anthropolgy-BM Das (ths s the one i studied,bt as u have scored good in pap.i,)

Modernization of Indian Tradition-Yogendra Singh (is nt a must, can hlp u in few topics in pap.ii like external factors in social change etc.)

Introduction to Social Anthropology-Nadeem Hasnain (good one for topics in pap.i new anthropology,marriage,family,religion etc)

Anthropology-Indrani basu roy (will help u in theories ,also in communication,language topics in pap.i,also applied aspects)

This may be an exhaustive list, bt its not at all needed to stdy evrytng in these buks, take out points which can add value to ur answers n can suffix ur base notes which u currently have.

• rohit says:

hi nishi. civil mains ka exam diya kya aapne..

• Nishi Sharma says:

not this time but i gave last year

• Ayan Sinha says:

mam , can it be done without coaching ? or one have to take help of renowned coaching centre’s note ( such as braintree , muniratnam sir ) . If I prepare my own notes will it be sufficient ? And most important question is there any disadvantage if I take Bengali as my medium while writing Anthropology optional ?

• Devendra says:

Hey Ayan.. are you in Hyd ?? (just curious by the references by you have given). I am here in Hyd

• Ayan Sinha says:

no yaar Im from WB . are you taking coaching ?

• Nishi Sharma says:

Yes it can be done without coaching though I had taken coaching at Brain Tree. If you know what to study and in what manner you need no one to teach you this subject. It is damn easy except archeological,evolutionary and prehistoric(this is the only thoda sa time taking thing and little complicated glossary which be handy once u r done with it).

Regarding Bengali medium I cant suggest anything, i dont know what types of buks u have in bengali for anthropology.

But according to my knowledge UPSC will allow us to take these papers either in English or in HIndi.

• Nishi Sharma says:

Anthro Can be done without coaching, I have wasted mine hard earned money because that time Mrunal’s blog was not there to help me :(

• Kumar Abhishek says:

mam, I M doing english hons.( 1st yr ) from IGNOU.WHICH TWO PAPER will right to take in optional.??

• Nishi Sharma says:

Brain Tree Notes though contain almost everything covered in syllabus. But it has two flaws:
        1. THe notes are haphazardly arranged(so that some ppl go for coaching otherwise there is no need to take coaching if notes were arranged properly)
        2. Factual data is very old. So you have to search for correct facts.

I dont know if they provide same material for classroom students and correspondence materials. Above fact is true and verified for Classroom Notes of 2009

• Sandy says:

Hey Nishi, plz tell how to prepare Anthropological Thoughts and Prehistory Part. I have bought Upadhyaya n Gaya Pandey for thoughts, is it ok and do explain how to tackle applied part?

• Nishi Sharma says:

For Anthropological Thoughts I am studying Makhan Jha(Some theories are missing acc to UPSC syllabus in dat buk)

For Pre History I am studying D.K.Bhattacharya

• Sandy says:

Hi Nishi, thanx for your valuable advice. please suggest on study plan for archaological part and theories part too.

• NS says:

I am writing it, will post it soon

• Krishna says:

Nishi,

Nice to see u giving tips. I recently resigned to my corporate career to pursue a govt. service. My optionals are Pub.ad & anthro. Just gone thru 2012 paper… seems like we can answer it generally with our analytic mind. At present am being nurtured by a person who sent 4 candidates to LBSNAA from a remote town of AP. He’s guiding me personally. Regarding Anthro, I have some deficits here. Can you pls give me your mail id so that I can ask u more in person regarding anthro.. & the ways and means to tackle it….? Pls feel free to mail me at [email protected] . Ya, I hv some base material provided & am value-adding from various sources at the moment. So need ur advice as u had already mastered the subject. Thanks in advance…

5. asian hawk says:

@pradeep take philosophy and Pali , deadly combination

6. rakesh sharma says:

I am a mechanical background guy so can anybody suggest me what subjects shold i choose

• Nishi Sharma says:

It is up to your aptitude to decide the subjects. Check syllabus and UPSC papers of subjects you wish to take and then decide

7. tani says:

very informative post indeed.. I was looking for such articles online to assist me.. and your post helped me a lot :)

8. 24indian says:

Hello Mr. Mrunal! Thanks for the wonderful website. Please upload Last 33years Question papers of Anthropology too. Need them very much. And if possible a model essay (Mains)- just to know the contents need..;especially the introduction and conclusion. Please do the needful.

• Sharavana says:

Do, anyone have all the previous question papers for anthropology ?

9. Rob says:

Is there any topic-wise previous years question papers available in the market???… (For anthropology)

• Nishi Sharma says:

There may be something in Hyderabad but not in Delhi :( Though I am not sure about it

• Nishi Sharma says:

In hyderabad Target IAS provide topic wise Mains Exams, but you have to search for it. Probably not available in open market

• Rob says:

Thanks Nishi.

10. Rob says:

I think this year’s anthro-paper is almost at the same level as that of the previous ones….. Unlike other papers which have almost unexpected, out-of-the-world questions…..

11. Nishi Sharma says:

Mrunalji Paper 2 Section B question 5 a 7 b are combined. actually 5 a is Colonial Ethnography and 5b is Commodification of Tribal Art.

• touzeep says:

heloo mam.
      i am preparing for state civilservices mains going to be held in feberuary..my 2nd optional is anthropology and im reading thru nadeem hasnain books.now i have a problem in reading social-cultural part 4m it as it looks quiet abstract..will u plzz suggest the best notes fot anthro and especiall the socio-cultural part and also the procedure of getting those notes.. plzz be quick as i h’ve short tym left…tnxx

12. Riddho says:

Which are the absolutely must have books for paper 1 and 2. also i have vaid sir’s previous years’ notes, which as nishi rightly said, is haphazardly arranged. so if u could tell me the absolutely essential books. i have preferred to study the subject by myself!

13. Krishna says:

Nishi,

14. l naresh says:

hi nishi,
    this year anthro paper 2 seemed to be a abberation from yesteryears what do u think about this can u guide me how to go about paper 2 . particularly certain questions like Anathakrishna Iyer’s contribution etc (was he in news?) i have started prep with paper 2 tell me how go with

15. mahesh kilje says:

hi i m reading p nath .seems good fr physical n genteics part. can anyone tel me which book is good fr socio cultural part f pa 1?
    also thinkin f joinig target ias at hyd .can anyone tel me hw is it?

16. Ayan Sinha says:

whichmaterial is better…….vaid / reddy / brilliant or braintree ..anyone please help

• Nishi says:

Brain Tree Material is good but haphazardly arranged but if done in particular order it can be done from BT notes +internet. if u wish to read standard buks u can do dat also

• maverick02 says:

HELLO NISHI MAM, CAN U PLEASE ELABORATE ON IMPORTANCE OF IGNOU MA (ANTHRO) NOTES IN PREPARATION FOR ANTRHO.

17. Rose shimray says:

i don find brilliant tu helpful, m in time constraint, hw mani months will it tke to complete the syllabus, anyone plis

18. JRF says:

Dear Sir/madam,
    I also want to get suggestion from elders that Iam preparing for UGC NET/JFR in anthropology please kindly suggest me in books or web or anything. Sorry for wrong place but I want from my senior brothers and sister to help me.

with love,
    joy

19. Venkatesh says:

Hi Nishi , did u get me …… I’m chandrashekar friend who. Residing in kondapur I think once I hav came 2 ur apartment. Also….
    Hope hwz ur. Prep nw

20. Riddho says:

@nishi..please tell me the names of the books that u think are absolutely essential.
    Thanks

21. Rhonda says:

Nishi Sharma,

I have BT material. But when I see the questions in paper-2 2012 relating to Central,South and Middle Indian tribes , I think nothing can be suitably answered, How did you tackle the questions relating to tribes?
    And yes, you must be looking at the dynamic trend in the papers over time, Can you suggest ones which can be complemented with BT and are absolutely necessary

22. Rhonda says:

Nishi Sharma,

And yes, you must be looking at the dynamic trend in the papers over time, Can you suggest books which can be complemented with BT material.

23. Siddharth Raj says:

Plz Suggest books for HINDI Medium anthropology

24. paige says:

Hello… m looking forward to take anthropology as my optinal,i’ve gone through the syllabus n find it quite intresting ….i need ur advice plizz… also could u suggest me coaching centre for the subj in Delhi.

25. Pritam Chatterjee says:

hi…when preparing Anthro what will be more helpful?syllebus wise reading or question wise?pls help me……..

26. bhaz says:

Nishi if you are still around, could you please share source topics in thought that arent covered in makhan jha?

27. RASHMI says:

hi
    well i am little confused now..which optional is less time consuming and scoring is it antro or history or geography.can anyone help me in that.
    Please explain how should and where from should i start preperation of optional mentioned above

28. Arun says:

Hi All..
    Is IGNOU Anthropology Notes Available in e-Gyanghosh..

29. emran says:

Hi Nishi Mam,
    I m from Kolkata.could u plz suggest me how to get hold of Anthro Notes from BT.

30. PLABAN PANDA says:

Sir, kindly suggest me the books for UGC NET in Anthropology subject wise for Paper II & III.

31. Snehal says:

Plz tell me Tips to write effective answers??

32. Vamshi says:

dear friends

I am preparing anthropology from Braintree notes, though the arrangement is mismatched I would suggest It will be the best material if it is supplemented by certain books like Indian anthropology by nadeem hasnain and social anthropology by madan and majumdar+internet.

• Siri says:

How should one do these books like indian anthropolgy and social anthropology ? They are bulky, probably
      Selectively?

33. Vamshi says:

if any have doubts please ask me.

34. Vamshi says:

dear friend

Indian anthropology by nadeem hasnain and social anthropology by madan and majumdar, both these books combinedly are not even the size of laxmikanth’s polity, as a matter of fact the contents of these books don’t cross upsc anthropology syllabus, it takes not more than 2 weeks to finish these books from end to end.

• Siri says:

Thank you. It is better to finish Braintree part first or these books first?

35. Vamshi says:

finish these books first. so, you could eliminate unnecessary things Braintree.

• rajyalakshmi says:

thanx vamshi sir and am done with these two books and i dont have braintree notes what books to be followed further

• Siri says:

Thanks a lot :)

36. Vamshi says:

1.tribal india by nadeem hasnain.
    2.modernisation of indian tradition by yogender singh.
    3.tribal cultures in India by l.p vidyarthi
    5.physical anthropology by l.p.vidhyarthi.

• vibhor says:

hi anthropology is giving me a hard time i haven’t gone thru it even once i have to give paper in december could you tell me how to get these brain tree notes how to order them please with details

37. Vamshi says:

you don’t brain tree notes in the market.

if you are in hyd you can get in xerox centers

38. Vamshi says:

you don’t it bt material via postal course.

• vibhor says:

teah that what i wan’t how to get that postal course can you gave me the link or any phn number or sumthng like that

39. Vamshi says:

sorry my dear friend, I forget write “get” in the previous comment. actually you don’t get it via postal course.

• vibhor says:

ok can you tell me in hyderabad where can i get xerox copy exact place

40. Vamshi says:

you can get it near r.c reddy ias academy
    ashok nagar, rtc x roads.

note : you can also get muniratnam sir notes, which is a master piece for civils.

• vibhor says:

thankyou that would be very helpful

41. Sandeep Kumar says:

Nidi mam,
    I have completed B sc(Maths) and now i m pursuing my M.Sc Mathematics with computer application in IGNOU. Also i have completed diploma in electronics engineering. Now I m serving in Indian defense force(Navy). I have great ambition to be a IAS. Since i m in defence, i couldn’t take any coaching classes due to busy schedule.I need a guide who can guide me to crack this exam.
    I m planning to appear in civil services 2014. can u guide me in such a way that i can prepare for it without any coaching classes.

42. Bims says:

Hi @Vamshi thanks for your suggestions above. Seems like braintree is no longer providing just a single correspondence material such as I need only for anthro without any class room coaching. I dont stay in hyderabad do you have any suggestion how to procure the notes both of brain tree and muniratnam sir.

43. Vamshi says:

sorry dear friend, to procure these material you need to visit Hyderabad, else you can also get it from your friends if anyone lives in hyd

muniratnam sir notes is available in all Xerox centres near r.c reddy ias academy, ashoknagar

44. Bims says:

@ VAMSHI so I guess the braintree notes are not available in xerox centers also. Only the muniratnam notes are there in xerox am I right. So anyother way how to get even the braintree notes for anthro

45. Avi chauhan says:

Hi sir/mam.
    I did my Bsc. In botany & chemistry .
    I want to know which subject i have to take in IAS mains. Kindly guide me..

46. touzeep says:

heloo mam.
    i am preparing for state civil services mains going to be held in feberuary.. my 2nd optional is anthropology and i am not getting the social and cultural part as im reading nadeem hasnain. will u plz sugest good notes especially for this part and also the procedure to get that material.. plzzz make it quickly as itz short tym left..thnxx

47. Raghunadha Reddy Kandi says:

Hi. I am raghunadha Reddy. I had completed my M.Pharmacy and thinking of aiming for civil services examination in the upcoming year(2014). I wish to take anthropology as my optional. Can you suggest me a good institute. I was thinking of Target IAS academy. Is there any other best institute. If so, please do let me know.

48. divya says:

Pls suggest the best books and material for anthropology paper 1 and 2
    Is it possible to prepare this optional without any coaching?