- Problem areas in Indo-Russia
- Putin’s Wishes in Delhi visit?
- Business n Trade
- Energy: Nuke
- Energy: Oil and Gas
- Defense: Indo-Russia
- Science Tech: Indo-Russia
- On Afghanistan
- No Joint Press Conference=Problem?
- Mock questions
- 13th India – Russia Annual Summit was held @New Delhi and attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin. (Dec 2012)
- Important because this year marks the 65th anniversary of Indo-Russia Diplomatic relations.
- Russia used to be key defense supplier to India, but recently India has diversified its suppliers (from Europe, Israel etc).
- Lost bid of France’s Dassault Rafale.
- 2G scam: Indian Supreme Court canceled license of Siestema company. Russian Government owns ~17% stakes in Siestema.
- Russia trying to improve relation with PAK. (already discussed how Russian Defense minister did not come to India but visited Pakistan. click me)
- Delayed delivery of Admiral Gorshkov (Vikramaditya) Aircraft carrier + Russia demanding more cash for it.
- Few years back, ONGC Videsh bought a Russian Company Imperial energy. We want Russian Government to decrease the export duty on this company.
- USA has gained heavy clout in Libya=> From now on, most of defense and nuke energy contracts of Libya will be awared to American Companies. So Putin wants more deals with India to make up for the business-loss.
- India’s support (or atleast non-pro-USA stand) on Syria.
- Putin is blackmailing Mohan that if you want tax-holiday for OVL (ONGC Videsh) in Russia, then you must restore 2G licenses of Siestema.Mohan says I’m helpless it is court-matter. (for more on 2G scam, click me)
|Bilateral trade between||Worth billion USD|
|Indo-China||More than 50|
Putin-Mohan agreed to take steps to increase the bilateral trade to 20 billion US Dollars by 2015.
|Untapped sectors in Indo-Russia Business||Progress during Putin’s Visit:|
|2010||Putin had signed “Roadmap for cooperation in the nuclear energy sector” with Mohan|
- Russia will build 1 nuke plant in India, every year for next 18 years.
- Cost of Each plant=2.5 billion USD.
- Capacity of Each plant = 1000 MW.
- Thus, By 2030 approx 20% of India’s electricity output come from Russian plants.
- In Tiruneveli district of TN
- Developed by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) + Russia Collaboration.
- Capacity 1000 MW x 2 plants
- For other plants of India, observe this map: click ME
|Centre vs State||People vs Government|
|Unit 1||Construction Complete.Power generation will start soon.|
|Unit 2||Will be finished next year.|
|3 and 4||In progress.Putin wants them to be out of Civil Nuke Liability law or India should pay higher price.|
|Late 80s||Agreement between India-Russia for construction of Kudankulam plant Unit #1 and #2.|
Government has kept Kudankulam Unit #1 and #2 outside the purview of nuke liability act, saying they were being constructed before passing of that Act.
Now we are planning to install two more units here (#3 and #4),
but we want them under the nuke liability act. (so, if disaster happens due to faulty Russian equipment, we can demand money from them.)
|Putin||This is wrong yaar! If #1 and #2 are outside Nuke liability then #3 and #4 should also be exempted.|
|Mohan||Sorry can’t help.
If I make an exemption for you, then America and France will demand the same treatment. Ultimately no plant will come under Nuke liability act!
If you want to build #3 and #4 with our help, AND you want them under Nuke liability then give us twice the money we had agreed earlier. (so I can use that money to buy insurance cover from third party to pay up for the disaster.)
|Before Putin’s Visit||During visit|
Fifth generation aircraft Development, already discussed in old articles click ME.
During the summit India gave orders to buy
- Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets
- Mil Mi-17 Military Helicopters
- Global Navigation Satellite System.
- Glonass is a Russian space-based system with many satellites.
- It provides location and time information anywhere in the planet,
- use= military, civil and commercial
- Glonass is an alternative to the U.S.-controlled Global Positioning System (GPS).
- During Iraq Invasion, America had blocked GPS signals to Iraq and then inserted misleading GPS signals into Iraqi missiles and air force.
- Because of this, Iraq could not attack American defense forces with deadly accuracy.
- India should be prepared to meet “aggression by any developed country, including the U.S.A.” Hence over-reliance on GPS= bad. Need to put some eggs in GLONASS basket.
GLONASS: Military use?
- GLONASS navigation system will allow Indian missiles, to strike within half a metre of distant targets= very accurate.
- GLONASS fitted on Nuclear submarine Chakra= killer combo.
Mohan-Putin signed agreement for use of GLONASS.
- Establishment of India-Russia Joint Science and Technology Centers in India and Russia,
India and Russia want Afghanistan to be free from
- External interference (of PAK+China)
- Extremism+ Terrorism
- Drug trafficking.
We’ve agreed to work together in Afghanistan to achieve ^these.
|Already Cooperating||During Putin’s visit|
||We’ve reviewed and updated the agreements.|
Apart from that,
- Russia has supported India’s entry as a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Already Discussed click ME
- Russia has reaffirmed that India as one of the most deserving and strongest candidate for the permanent member of the expanded UN Security Council.
- Usually after a summit is over, the leaders of Both Nation hold a joint press conference.
- But this time, after 13th India-Russia annual Summit, no join press conference was held.
- Critiques say this proves India-Russia friendship is going through difficult times.
But it is not true, because
- Putin was on tight schedule.
- Putin has broken his back in Judo practice, can’t stand or sit for long.
- Mohan was afraid that during Joint Press conference, reporters would ask him uncomfortable questions on Delhi-Gangrape + demolition of only Hindu temple in Russia.
Therefore Joint press conference was avoided.
Mohan checks the bill
|Item||Quantity||Price ($ Billion)|
|Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets||42||1.6|
|Mi-17 Military Helicopters||71||1.3|
levitra 10 mg Mohan: There seems to be a mistake in the calculation. Total should be 47.9 billion dollars.
propecia tablets for sale Putin: sorry mate, I don’t keep chillar just like Delhi’s rickshaw-walls. Figure rounded off to next 50s and 100s.
follow site Mohan: But how am I going to justify this expense-mismatch in Government account books? CAG will rip me apart!
hay cialis generico en mexico Putin: Chillx, just show it as bill for serving Desi Liquor to delegates and foreign journalists during this Summit.
see Mohan: oh yes, then it’ll be a legit expense under diplomatic protocols. Indeed whaat an idea sir-ji
Q1. find the Wrong match
- GLONASS (5m)
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- Write a brief note on 13th India – Russia Annual Summit (10m)
- Discuss Indo-Russia nuclear cooperation. (12m)
- Analyse emerging trends in Indo-Russia relationship with special reference to business and investment. (15m)
For the Archive of all articles on Diplomacy and International relations: visit Mrunal.org/diplomacy