These terms are from The Hindu S&T, Nov.2012
- Cold Climate=Big Body size
- Migrantwatch and Seasonwatch.
- Bactrian camels and heavy-chain antibodies
- Ross Sea: Marine Protected Zone
- Lake Vida
- Hedonic Scale Method
- Mock Questions
- For most species of animals, body mass increases the closer you get to the poles.
- The bigger you are, the more fat you can store to help you get through the winter.
- bigger animals have a smaller surface area-to-volume ratio, which helps reduce heat loss- a pattern known as Bergmann’s Rule.
Two projects started by National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore, (NCBS)
These projects are aimed at involving common citizen in scientific research.
|participants in this activity identify migrant birds and note down the first sighting and feed it into the online database: www.migrantwatch.in||builds up baseline data about the flowering and fruiting of trees, to work on climate-season change from ecological angle. www.seasonwatch.in|
- Two-humped camel
- Found in cold deserts of central Asia. (China, Mongolia)
- They consume eight times more salt than cattle and have twice the blood glucose levels of other ruminants, yet do not develop diabetes or hypertension.
- They also produce unique disease-fighting proteins called heavy-chain antibodies, which interest pharmaceutical engineers.
- The Ross Sea, located in arm of the southern Pacific Ocean in Antarctica.
- Ross sea is populated by seals, whales, fish, penguins and other birds.
- Environment activists want to create Marine protected zones (MPAs) in Ross sea= where fishing would be totally banned.
- in East Antarctica
- hosts some newly discovered microbes, 60 feet below ice.
- Thus proving that where there is water, there is life.
- Right now, the lipstick colores are made using artificial chemicals.
- These chemicals can cause allergy and even cancer.
- Scientists have now found reddish-brown spores in squid skin that can be used for lipstick colors.
- They are screening it for consumer acceptance applying hedonic scale method.
- Hedonic Scale is used in food science, marketing research where the respondents indicate the extent to which they either like or dislike for a particular product sample.
- compound produced naturally by marine algae, currently under research.
- can be used for Treatment of stroke.
Q1 Which of the following is incorrectly matched
|UN project of Tracking human migration patterns.|
|found in Plant leaves, help in photosynthesis.|
|Project to build database of flowering, fruiting patterns in various seasons.|
- Only 1
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 3
- All of them
Q2. Which of the following is correctly matched
- Only 1
- Only 2
Q3. Which of the following is correctly matched
|It stipulates that animals at colder regions have higher bodymass.|
|Associated with Marketing research.|
- Only 1
- Only 2