- Essential books for RAS Mains PubAd Paper 1
- Introduction to Public Administration
- OB (organizational Behavior)
- Theories of Organization
- Organizational Structures
- Personnel Administration
- Financial Administration
- Accountability and Control
- Administrative Reforms
- Delegated Legislation and Administrative law
- CPA and DA
|English Medium||Hindi Medium|
|Lok Prashasan by M.Laxmikanth|
|Prashashanik Chintak by Prasad and Prasad|
|Lok Prashashan ke naye Aayam by Mohit Bhattacharya|
|Same but in Hindi|
Also download UPSC’s Public Administration (Mains) question papers of Last 33 years [1979-2011]: here is the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9AJvFSzIyiwMGFaOTI3eXZ5WHc/edit?pli=1
Why UPSC papers? Because many static-direct questions remain important for State PSC exams as well, for example
- ‘The Central Secretariat occupies a key position in the administrative hierarchy.’
- Judicial Control over administration operates through a system of writs. Explain
So go through the old UPSC papers, prepare answers for all static-direct questions relevant to syllabus of RAS.
|Basic Premises : Meaning, scopes nature and significance of Public AdministrationEvolution of Public Administration as a discipline|
|Ecology of administration -social, economic, cultural, political and legal.|
|New Public Administration|
Principles of Organization – Hierarchy, Unity of Command, Authority and Responsibility, Coordination. Span of Control, Supervision, Centralization and Decentralization, Delegation.
- These topics are beautifully explained in M.Laxmikanth’s book on Public Administration.
- For extra fodder material, consult block 3,4 and 5 of EPA-01 (IGNOU BA Public Administration)
- Chapter 8 from Mohit.
- The nature of this topic leads to Direct static questions. Hence your score here directly depends on ability to recall number of points during exam hall = revision essential.
Administrative Behaviour – Decision making with Special Reference to the contribution of Herbert Simon, Theories of leadership; Communication, Morale, Motivation (Maslow and Harzberg).
- Laxmikanth, Prasad, IGNOU MPA-012, EPA-01 block 5.
- Chapter 10 of Mohit.
- There may not be enough direct content for Morale topic.
- You may consult internet for that.
- It is one thing to tick answers in Administrative thinker based MCQs, and it is totally different thing to write a decent answer on a particular thinker.
- Frequent revision and answer writing practice is essential. You don’t need to enroll in some fancy mock test series for this. Plenty of questions given in IGNOU booklets as well as in old Public Administration papers of UPSC.
Structure of Organizations-Chief Executive; Types of Chief Executives and their functions; Line, staff and Auxiliary agencies; Departments: Corporations, Companies, Boards and Commissions, Headquarters and field relationship.
- These topics are again beautifully explained in M.Laxmikanth’s book on Public Administration and IGNOU EPA-01
- Line-Staff topic from Chapter 8 of Mohit.
- For extra fodder or any missing topics you may consult Sharma Sadana chapter 9 to 14.
- M.Laxmikanth’s book on Public Administration.
- Mohit Bhattacharya’s Chapter on Public Personnel administration.
- IGNOU EPA 04
- Just like “Statistics and graphs” topic is considered “scoring” in General Studies paper II, similarly personnel administration is considered “scoring” (or atleast that’s what Delhi’s eminent Coaching sirs used to tell hehehe).
- Anyways point is, Personnel administration, Org.behavior=usually direct static questions, so easier to score decent marks compared to “critically analyse xyz thinker/theory.”
- But again, no topic is scoring by itself. A topic or an optional subject becomes “scoring” only after you’ve read, revised, understood, digested and practiced it many times.
- LAxmikanth’s chapter on Financial Administration (Chap 8)
- IGNOU BA: EPA 05. EPA 05 is quite lengthy but you’ve to do selective study only- of the syllabus topics.
- Finally Mohit’s Chapter on Financial Administration to get the gist of everything.
- Religiously mugup the entire chapter given in M.Laxmikanth’s PubAD book.
- Chapter 19 and 22 in IGNOU MPA-013
- Mohit’s chapter on Accountability.
O & M, Work Study, Work Measurement; Administrative Reforms; Processes and Obstacles.
- O&M: Chapter 21 of Indian administration by Avasthi and Avasthi OR Sharma Sadana.
- Work measurement: Chapter 16 IGNOU MPA 013.
- Reforms and obstacles: Chapter 23, 25 in MPA-13
- Mohit’s chapter on Administrative reforms.
Or just skip the whole damn topic. (according to coaching experts lolz!)
- IGNOU BA Public Administration code BPAE-102.
- Visit Library, do chapter 36 and 37 from a book named “Public Administration by Avasthi and Maheshwari”. Or wait for a few days, I’ll write an article on it.
Comparative and Development Administration.
- Start with M.Laxmikanth’s book on pubad
- Fred riggs from Prasad and Prasad
- Mohit’s chapter 15 and 16.
The booklist/ approach for RAS (MAins) Public Administration Paper II is given in separate article, click ME