- What is IOR-ARC?
- Members of Indian Ocean Rim?
- Why IOA-ARC is important?
- Gurgaon Communiqué /Declaration (2012)
- 6- Priority areas
- What is blue economy?
- Mock questions
- Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation
- Established in 1997
- Indian Ocean is vital for the transportation of oil and conduct of other forms of global trade.
- >97 per cent of India’s international trade by volume passes through Indian Ocean.
- Indian Ocean rim region = rich precious minerals, metals and other natural resources, marine resources and energy.
|20 full time Members||6 Dialogue partners|
- China is not a “member”, just dialogue partner. Although they’re interested in becoming full time member.
- Some books mention Ocean Rim got only 19 members=outdated information. Because Comoros was recently added as 20th member.
- Because it was established in 1997. Therefore, 2012 marks 15th anniversary year.
- Whenever something/somebody’s birth/death anniversary is in ‘multiple’ of five, it is important for UPSC!
- Secondly, their 12th summit was held in Gurgaon, India in Nov.2012.
- When a summit/conference is over, the official statement is issued that “we’ve agreed to do this, this and this…)
- Such press statement is called Communiqué.
- In Gurgaon summit, member nations agreed to work on following 6 priority areas
They also agreed that
- We’ll continue economic cooperation @regional level
- We’ll aim for sustained growth + balanced Development
- We’are adding Comoros added as 20th member
- We’are adding USA as our 6th dialogue partner
- We’ll hold next meeting in Australia in 2013.
- Blue Economy concept emerged at Rio+20 Conference.
- seeks to integrate ocean-environment-ecology issues into economic frameworks. Sustainable use of marine and coastal resources.
- Reducing over-fishing.
- Stop destructive fishing practices.
- Stop illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing.
- Protect coral reefs.
- Combat climate change.
- Combat ocean acidification.
- Littoral= relating to a coastal or shore region
- e.g. IOR-ARC is an organization of littoral countries in Indian ocean.
Q1. Which of the following is correct about Indian Ocean Rim association (IOA-ARC)?
- It has member-states from two continents only: Asia and Africa.
- 12th summit of IOA-ARC was held at New Delhi, India.
- Iran is not a member of Indian Ocean rim association.
- Only 3
- Only 1 and 2
- Onlly 1 and 3
- None of them.
Q2.find Wrong match
||Island nation in Pacific ocean|
||Between Madagascar and Mozambique|
Q3. Correct order of islands from North to South in the atlas
- Seychelles, Comoros, Madagascar
- Madagascar, Comoros, Seychelles
- Comoros, Seychelles, Madagascar
- None of above.
Q4. Which of the following is correct about Blue Economy?
- It is a term associated with Socialist countries, having features of both red (communist) and green (capitalist) economies.
- It is a term associated with Economic unions and track blocs such as EU, NAFTA etc.
- It is a term associated with protection and sustainable use of maritime resources.
- None of above.
- Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (5 marks)
- Suggest measures to combat ocean acidification and coral reefs destruction. What are the measures initiated by Government in this regard?(10m)
- Discuss the 12th summit of Indian Ocean Rim association (12m).