- Space mission related
- Black Beauty
- IO: the moon of Jupiter
- COMET online monitoring system
- India’s IT Development: SAGA 220
- MillatFacebook (MFB)
- Direct-to-Home (DTH) movie release
#1: Square Kilometre Array (SKA)
- world’s largest and most sensitive radio telescope
- will be 50 times more sensitive, and be able to survey the sky 10,000 times faster, than any imaging radio telescope array previously built.
- will be completed in 2024
- Location: South Africa + Australia.
- Benefit: developments in many technology areas, including antennas, signal transport, signal processing, computing, software and data archiving
- India is actively involved in this project
#2: Solar telescope, Solar winds
- Will be built in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir .
- It’ll have capability to do both day and night astronomy.
- Will help in understanding sunspots: process of their creation and decay.
- Sunspots pose a threat to the communication system on earth as well as space satellites.
- Increased sunspot activity=> increase in the outflow solar wind.
- Solar wind contains charged particles that can interfere with the operation of satellites by introducing what is called background static.
- Solar winds also interact with atoms in the upper part of earth’s atmosphere, wreaking havoc with the communication systems on ground.
- Satellites in low earth orbit face greater risk as during periods of heightened solar activity.
Space mission related
#1: Luna Glob
- Russia will launch this robotic lunar mission in 2015.
- Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1)
- South Korea will launch this satellite and gain entry to an elite global space club that includes Asian powers China, India and Japan.
- Earlier, South Korea couldn’t launch satellite program for many years, because its main military ally the U.S., feared S.Koera’s arms race with N. Korea.
- name of Monkey that was recently sent to space and returned back, under Iranian space mission.
- In Farsi, Pishgam = Pioneer.
- original kilogram — known as the International Prototype Kilogram or the IPK.
- It is made up of platinum-based weight.
- All other measurements of mass are set against this IPK model.
- Problem: This kilogram has become heavier as contaminants have built up on its surface.
- It is a 320 gram space rock from Mars.
- Discovered in Morocco’s Sahara Desert in 2011
- It contains more water than any other Martian meteorite previously found.
- could unlock vital clues to the evolution of Mars
source Black beauty: Rock from Mars
IO: the moon of Jupiter
|Jupiter planet has 5 major moons.IO is the innermost of them.
||Earth as only one moon.
|Has many active volcanoes. In fact, most volcanically active body in the solar system
|Smaller than our moon
||bigger than IO
|Jupiter has a few natural satellites orbiting it
||Doesn’t have any natural satellites orbiting it.
COMET online monitoring system
- Communication Plan for Election (COMET) is made for use of Election Commission.
- It is a high-tech SMS-based alert system.
- Officials on the election duty just need to punch in a few letters to send various coded SMSes.
- The information is instantly available online and can be used by the Election commission and poll officials in the state capital and district.
- It also helps in monitoring events down to a particular polling booth at the click of a mouse, for example
- When did the staff reaching the polling station
- voting percentages every two hours
- did the poll party reached safely at the EVMs deposit centre or not?
India’s IT Development
||First computer in India (imported from UK) in 1955. Installed @ Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Calcutta.
||networks such as NICNET and the Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT),
||Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) was developed by ECIL and Bharat Electronics.
|LPG reforms (90s)
||Led to rise of private players such as Infosys, Wipro, Satyam.
||Supercomputer built by ISRO @Vikram Sarabhai space centre.
||Supercomputer built by C-DAC, Pune.
- Open source operating system (OS) Linux for computers.
- Android = Google’s open source operating system for smartphones and tables. (based on linux)
- Now Ubuntu is also coming to tablet platform.
levitra senza ricetta italia pagamento online a peta is a million billion or 10 raised to power 15
- Pakistan’s version of Facebook.
- website was launched after the Lahore High Court banned Facebook after some members started a `Everybody Draw Mohammad Day’ competition.
- objective was to provide a platform for all Muslims and “nice, decent and sophisticated people of all religious and faiths” to come together and make a network.
Direct-to-Home (DTH) movie release
- one of the controversies surrounding Kamal Hasan’s recent movie.
- Kamal Haasan wanted to release his movie Viswaroopam on DTH platform as a pay-per-view screening a day ahead of its intended theatre release. (=you can watch it on your dish tv, tata sky etc.)
- But Theatre owners and distributors said DTH is not video piracy-proof and hence, if new movies are immediately shown on DTH= it will drastically cut ticket revenues.
- Kamal Haasan’s argument: It is not impossible to record the contents of a digital set top box. and he was just attempting to explore a legitimate source of revenue. Besides the single pay-per-view show priced at Rs. 1,000 per activation = mostly upper middle/rich class will watch. This will not hurt the business of theatre owners, because their target consumer base belongs to different income group.