- What is Inner Line Permit (ILP)?
- What’re the Implications of ILP?
- Why ILP in MiNA but not in Manipur?
- Pro ILP arguments for Manipur
- Anti ILP argument
- The case of Meghalaya
- Persons in News: Manipur
- If you’re an outsider and want to travel to MiNA (Mizoram, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh), you’ll need this Inner Line permit (a type of certificate/paper).
- Even if you’re an Indian citizens and wish to travel to these places, you’ll need an ILP.
- This provision was made by Britishers under an Act called as Bengal Frontier Provision Act,1873.
- + An outsider cannot take away any rubber, wax, ivory or other forest product (or any book, diary, manuscript, map, picture, photograph, film, curio or article of religious or scientific interest outside these inner line permit areas.
- This ILP provision was made to give special protection to the indigenous people.
- ILP certificate can be used only for travel and not for permanent residency in the area.
- Outsiders cannot buy property in the state.
- Inter-caste marriages are not possible as residences of outsiders are not permitted.
- There is no competition among the backward tribes and inflowing foreigners.
- Although such provisions though are not valid for Central govt employees, security personal, etc.
- ILP is applicable only to MiNA (Mizoram, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh), but it is not applicable to Manipur. So, question: Why doesn’t Manipur fall under ILP system?
- Because MiNA (Mizoram, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh) were under the British control till independence. So Britishers implemented ILP permit there, but Manipur was princely states so ILP wasn’t implemented here.
- Although, Manipur (as a princely state before independence) had created its own system of Permits/ passports but it was abolished in 1951.
- Now people of Manipur have made an organization Federation of Regional Indigenous Societies (FREINDS) and they’re demanding Government of India to implement Inner Line Permit system (ILP) in Manipur as well.
- In 2012, Manipur State Assembly also passed a resolution urging Government of India, to implement the ILP system to Manipur.
Inner line permit should be implemented in Manipur because
- After independence, the influx of foreigners/non-locals/outsiders in Manipur has increased exponentially. This has led to increased competition (in jobs, business, election) among locals and outsiders.
- Foreigners like the Bangladeshi, the Nepalese and the Myanmarese have started standing for local elections and some of them have also emerged victorious!
- Local youth has to compete with outsiders for state Government jobs, college admissions.
- Influx of outsiders, changes the demographic structure of the state= in long term, this could post to reservation quota for scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes.
- Outsiders bring their language and culture. It poses threat to Manipuri language, scripts and local dialects.
- Drug trafficking cases, incidents of rape and other crimes in the State have become more rampant due to the inflow of outsiders into Manipur.
- Manipur is one of the six high HIV prevalence states in the country. The influx of migrants is worsening this problem.
- lands in tribal belts and blocks are being occupied by non-tribals and Bangladeshis, but the government machineries have done nothing to protect these lands from the encroachers.
- Since the NE states are already backward in areas of education, infrastructure, etc such a competition has been passing onto the even younger generations.
- The recent violent riots in Assam is an example on how if immigration is unchecked can lead to severe problems. (Click me to learn more about it)
- Outsiders are ready to work for lower wages. This makes difficult for the local Manipuri tribals to get any employment.
- ILP system is already in place in MiNA (Mizoram, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh), then why should it not be implemented in Manipur, which is in the same geographical area, facing similar problems for immigration.
- ILP system doesn’t prohibit outsiders from entering into a state. It merely requires them to get registered so they can be easily identified.
- Any section of the citizens residing in the territory of India or any part thereof having a distinct language, script or culture of its own shall have the right to conserve the same. This demand is therefore constitutional and legal.
- The North Eastern states lack labour and trained professionals. (Doctors, CAs etc.) Hence ILP permit will be a setback for the already under-developed region.
- Migration is an issue for all regions in the country. It is unavoidable.
- The problem of illegal migrants (Bangladeshi, Nepali, Burmese) can be tackled easily by increasing the border security. Therefore, ILP is not necessary.
- If ILP system is implemented in Manipur, other states will also start demanding the same, this political propaganda will be harmful for national integration.
- Very similar arguments of rise of immigrants are present in Meghalaya also.
- The government created a committee under its Dy.Chief Minister to recommend steps.
- Another solution was to provide for a 3-tier ID card for immigrants.
- There are already other strict provisions in Meghalaya to prohibit ‘outsiders’ from buying property.
- Also, contractors employing more than 5 immigrant workers need to register with the state.
|HIV positive bodybuilder. has won a bronze in the Mr World competition in Bangkok (2012)|
|London Olympics, 2012. Bronze in Female Boxing (Flyweight (51kg))|
|CM of Manipur. (third consecutive term)|
Q1. Find Correct Statement
- The system of ILP is required for tourists visiting the states of Nagaland, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Indian tourists are not required to get these ILP permits.
- Only 1
- Only 2
Q2. Which among the following were princely states during the making of Constitution?
- Only 1, 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- Only 2 and 3
- All of them
Q3. Moving from North to South, which is the correct order?
- Mizoram, Manipur, Nagaland
- Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland
- Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram
- Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur
Q4. Find Incorrect Statement
- Mary Kom won 2012 Olympic Bronze for female boxing under Lightweight category.
- Khundrakpam Pradipkumar is a famous HIV positive bodybuilder from Mizoram.
- Only 1
- Only 2
- Khundrakpam Pradipkumar (2m)
- The case for Inner Line Permit in the North Eastern states is a complex one. Analyze the situation and give possible solutions.
- India’s Economic Policy has changed but its Population policy is yet to change. Comment with respect to the recent immigration issues of the country.
- What are your views on the Inner Line Permit issue? Is there a possible middle path?
- Can you suggest a few possible measures that can be a possible win-win situation to both immigrants and locals?