Continuing on 2nd part. Here we see recent developments in Indo-US cooperation in sci-tech, space and public health (SSP)
- India US Cooperation in Science-Tech
- Information Technology
- Millennium alliance
- India US Cooperation in Space Research
- Thirty Meter Telescope
- India US Cooperation in Public Health
- Child deaths
- Disease Detection
- Drug regulation
India US Cooperation Sci-Tech
Science, technology, and innovation = needed for well-being and economic growth of both US and India.
India US Cooperation for Scieence, Technology and innovation
|IT||cloud computing, R&D in ICT, mfg-testing|
- increasing the role of women in science, technology and engineering
- workshops for mentoring and networking of women science professionals in both countries
- initiative by USAID and FICCI
- to fund grassroot innovations, business incubation via PPP mode.
- to solve development problems e.g. education, food security, water, sanitation, maternal & child health.
|Physics||India’s Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and American agencies are collaborating to develop next generation proton accelerators and related physics research.|
ISRO and NASA will do following things
- Cooperation space exploration work, including future missions to the moon and Mars.
- Sharing and analysis of data from ISRO’s OCEANSAT-2 satellite.
- ISRO is planning the launch of the ‘Mars Orbiter Mission’ during October-November 2013. NASA is providing deep space navigation and tracking support services to ^this Mars mission.
- the joint development and launch of a radar satellite. will use a dual frequency (L and S band). will help in earth observation studies.
- Monsoon studies using joint ISRO-French Space Agency Megha-Tropiques satellite and the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) constellation of satellites.
- Exchange program for engineers and scientists working in each organization.
- Joint Astronomy to Better Understand Our Solar System
- A US firm will help implementing a ‘Global Positioning System Aided Geo Augmented Navigation System (GAGAN) for civil aviation purposes.
- Indian Initiative in Gravitational Observations
- both sides are working to build a world-class gravitational wave detector in India
- Using this, we’ll study gravitational waves form – black holes, neutron stars, and supernovas.
- This will improve our understanding of the big bang theory.
- India has proposed realizing this goal in its Twelfth and future Five-year Frameworks.
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- India’s own indigenous satellite navigation system, made up of seven-satellite constellation
- Both side agreed for Compatibility-interoperability between the U.S. Global Positioning System and the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System.(IRNSS)
|Thirty Meter Telescope|
- It is one of the most powerful telescope in the world
- Being setup in the Hawaii.
- India is collaborating with US on this project.
India US cooperation in Public health
|AIDS||Since 2004, USA has gave >250 million dollars to India’s National AIDS Control Organization (NACO).|
- Earlier, US, India, Ethiopia and UNICEF made a goal to reducing all preventable child deaths by 2035.
- Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal, Child, and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Roadmap and a national and state scorecard and dashboard to track progress.
- >60 million Indians and >25 million Americans suffer from diabetes.
- 2012: India-US agreed for conducting cooperative research
- to developing a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying diabetes
- this will give us innovative solutions to prevent and treat diabetes in future.
- MOU in 2010 for setting up Global Disease Detection-India Centre.
- The Global Disease Detection-India Centre is now fully operational
- And working on food borne diseases, emergency operations, zoonotic diseases, acute encephalitis and disease surveillance.
|Drug regulation||Drug Controller General of India and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have been collaborating in the area of training, clinical research, pharmacovigilance, and e-governance.|
- Human and Avian Influenza and other Emerging Infectious Diseases
- disease prevention (HIV, TB, malaria, polio)
- maternal and child health
- environmental and occupational health
- vaccine development
- infectious diseases
- diabetes, cardiovascular diseases,
- eye disease, hearing disorders,
- mental health
- Low-cost medical technologies.
|Road injury||National program on (road) injury control.|
US, WHO, ICMR and Highway ministry collaborate on this.
|ROTAVAC||New rotavirus vaccine.|
AIIMS, Stanford University and many public and private partners from India and America are collaborating on this.
Clinical trials are going on. If successful, this could be recognized as the first entirely new vaccine developed within India in over 100 years.
|Training||Indian scientists from National Centre of Disease Control (NCDC) and the National Institute of Virology, Pune, are being trained in USA.|
So, what is the big picture? Where do these individual pieces fit in the Indo-US relationship? click on following chart to find out.
Mock questions, @the end of part 3 of 3.
Indo-US relationship 2012-13 (click to enlarge)
For more on diplomacy, international relations: visit Mrunal.org/diplomacy