[Job Profile & Cutoffs] RBI Assistant

4. Salary and perks
    5. It is a good job, IF
      1. vs SSC CGL
    6. Cutoffs RBI Assistant 2012 exam
  3. Insurance Assistant: work profile
  4. Insurance assistant: Cutoffs

Recently, RBI and various insurance companies announced large scale vacancies for assistants. This article should settle some basic doubts regarding job. Information courtesy of my old friend csl80 (Pagalguy) + Mr. Prashant Kundu and Mr.Susheel Ragade (orkut).

Exam comparison RBI vs Insurance assistant

RBI Assistant Insurance Assistant
Vacancies 525 (less) 2600 (more)
Last date to apply 20 June 12 June
Exam date 20, 21, 27 and 28 July 14 and or 21 July
State wise vacancies? Yes Yes
Need to know state language? Yes Yes
Age 18-28 with relaxation for reserved categories, Widows and ex-servicemen.
Read notification for more
Click me
18-28 with relaxation for reserved category.
Age relaxation also for Bangladeshi Migrants, Assam residents, existing employees of the companies.
Read notification for more, Click me.
Educational At least a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks (pass class for SC/ST/PWD candidates) in the aggregate and the knowledge of word processing on PC. Graduate from a recognized University OR
Pass in HSC/Equivalent (12 pass) examination with 60% marks (50% for Ex-servicemen, SC/ST/PH)
Exam Stages?
  1. written
  2. interview
  1. written
  2. computer proficiency test
  3. interview
Penalty for wrong answer? -1/4th (=25%)
Written stage 40 Questions each from GA, computer, Maths, English and reasoning. =Total 200 Qs, 2 hours. 50 Questions each from GA, computer, Maths, English and reasoning. =Total 250 Qs, 2 hours.
Sectional cutoffs?/ Minimum qualifying marks in each Section? Yes according to the notification. Notification is silent about this.
NOC from Ex-employer? Candidates serving in Government / Quasi Government Officers, Public Sector undertaking including Nationalised Banks and financial institutions will be required to submit ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their employer at the time of Interview, falling which their candidature may not be considered and travelling expenses, if any otherwise admissible, will not be paid.
Initial salary (approx.) 21,419 15000
Pay scale 8,040 – 410 – 9270 – 500 – 11,270 – 550 – 13,470 – 650 – 15,420 – 720 – 16,140 – 990 – 20,100 (20 years) 7640-440(1)-8080-480(2)-9040-540(5)-11740-625(2)-12990-760(3)-15270-790(2)-16850-840(5)-21050

RBI assistant

Clerical job, entry of inward and outward of mail, data entry etc.

Hierarchy

Officers (Class 1)
  • Grade A to F.
  • Grade is A is lowest, F is senior most.
  • Junior-most officer is Assistant Manager
  • An Assistant from class3, can appear in Departmental promotion exam to become an Assistant manager.
Staff (class 3 and 4)
  • Senior Assistant, special assistant, Assistant, record clerk, attendant (maintenance, catering etc.), security guards etc.

(RBI doesn’t have class II, or atleast that’s what internet says hahaha).

Working hours

1. The working hours are quite limited 9.15 AM to 5.15 PM
  2. No one asks a class 3 (Assistants) to stay after office hours because then organization will have to pay overtime.
  3. holiday on weekends

Career Growth / Promotions

1. For Assistant post there is no transfer.
  2. For officer first posting will be out of home state and then transfer after every 5 years.
  3. After 3 years, there is usually an in-service (departmental) exam held for Assistant managers. But you should be ready for transfer.
  4. You cannot get into officer cadre without clearing that exam.
  5. Assistant manager’s exam involves subjects like RBI Act, English etc.

Salary and perks

1. Approximate 21419 per month but it comes with many allowances and perks so total is about 2,90,000/- per annum.
  2. other allowances, viz. Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Transport Allowance etc., as admissible from time to time.
  3. RBI’s accommodation subject to availability,
  4. reimbursement of expenses for maintenance of vehicle for official purpose,
  5. Newspaper, Brief case, Book Grant,
  6. Allowance for furnishing of residence, etc. as per eligibility.
  7. Dispensary facility besides reimbursement of medical expenses for OPD treatment/hospitalization as per eligibility;
  8. Interest free Festival Advance,
  9. LTC/ Leave Fare Concession (once in two years for self, spouse and eligible dependents).
  10. Loans and Advances at concessional rates of interest for Housing, Car, Education, Consumer Articles, Personal Computer, etc.
  11. New Pension Scheme (NPS)

It is a good job, IF

1. if you want to remain in your home state, want to have good quality life , bring up children and get a decent salary or
  2. want to prepare for any higher level competitive exams
  3. for a female who wants to get a husband on the basis of a job .
  4. Dont expect any bribe , the only advantage is that you will get fresh currency notes!

vs SSC CGL

1. SSC also recruits “assistants” in central ministries but their promotion prospects are higher.

Cutoffs RBI Assistant exam held in 2012

MUMBAI - 109 119 137 123
NAGPUR 136 - 136 146 132
NEW Delhi 141 - 144 156 142
PATNA 136 - 154 163 149
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM and Kochi 142 - 151 158 144

Insurance Assistant: work profile

So far Insurance Assistant job is concerned its same like bank clerk job only difference is 5 days a week in GIC

Insurance assistant: Cutoffs

No information of cut offs available, because this is for the first time they are conducting common exam for four public sector general insurance companies.

1. parvinder says:

thanks mrunal ,pls mention the preparation techniques

• Mrunal says:

very soon

• Meer says:

Mrunal sir, Now results are out. Some people got shortlisted for interview any article/info for preparation of interview…Pls help.

2. Kartik says:

Mrunal sir ,

Market is flooded with compilation of ignou notes , nios notes , ministries reports etc etc
    No clear prescription available in market !
    But most vague idea prevailing in market is take the prescribed portion of syllabus by upsc from each concerned optional subject !! Sir is that much depth warranted ??
    Sir in this dark tunnel only u can throw some light n show us the right path towards our preparation…!!
    Without delaying further kindly do so !!

Regards

• Onegarious says:

IGNOU notes are like reverse edged swords dear friend! They contain too many grammatical errors and other blunders! Like while I was reading I found that the author had used “weather” instead of “whether”. Also if you read too much IGNOU then you will have trouble finding error in english sentences as then your essential gut feeling about sentence formation might have got corrupted because of these improper notes..

3. shilratna says:

I need previous years RBI assistance’s papers
    and analysis on it!!

thanks and regards!!!

• Onegarious says:

Already there I guess. Check he previous post. The paper was discussed with the questions.

• Neena says:

sir, I saw the previous year paper analysis for rbi grade “b” officer exam.. but not for the rbi assistants exam. kindly help.

4. sameer says:

sir, plz post strategy and study materials for mains… i know that its not easy to prepare a strategy in such a short time but post in parts as you do the analysis for each paper…

5. deepak says:

interview carries how much marks?

6. Onegarious says:

Is the coaching institute – ILS4IAS sponsored or supported by Mrunal?? He doesn’t seem to care about the bogus propaganda from being disseminated using his blog. I really do not understand if a coaching institute accepts you as a student and, god-forbid, if you fail; doesn’t the institute fails with you! Shouldn’t they at least pay back your fee, if not compensate for your lost time too! They sell dreams and not truth. They enroll 5K students and then brag/boast a hundred selections! Why don’t you spread your effective selections! 100/2000 or whatever.
    But what I really want is that Mrunal blocks this stupid institute and take some legal action too.

• Sandeep singh says:

@onegarious: even on facebok it u typee “‘Iravata Enterprises” page will come with mrunal sir photo.

• Onegarious says:

hmm.. Interesting! maybe its because he owns that firm. Anyways what he does is his own business. See I am doing self-study for the mains-GS and optional(Philo). I was just here to make a couple of contacts but unfortunately I failed miserably as no-one responded to my post on forum.
        Also I really do not understand why people hold Mrunal as a revered character. He is also simply making money!
        I do update my notes using his articles, they are somewhat good material, actually better than a lot of paid materials.

7. manav says:

Hey Mrunal,

This is really an important question, Currently working in Karnataka , basically from rajasthan , not aware of local language , can’t go to rajasthan to take the exam , so is that the must requirement to have knowledge of local language as they have mentioned in notification … should nt must ??

I hope you’ll reply to this query.

• Sumit says:

yes manav,it is necessary to know the local language.

8. Pavan says:

This article doesn’t match upto your level sir…… Could be better. Disappointed

• SK says:

What level were u expecting…it’s a simple article clearing doubts about the job profile of an rbi/insurance assistance…moreover not much info available about insurance assistant to present a comparison(if u were expecting).

9. priyanka says:

thanks sir…. please mention prepration techniques.

10. priyanka says:

thanks

11. Pradeep says:

Hi Sir, could you please post the strategy to prepare for the RBI Asst exam. As we have short time for the exam please post the short and smart strategy.

12. priya says:

thanks sir

13. PrAdEeP says:

will cutoff for cgl tier 1 be higher this year. as i m scoring a low of 72?

• Sandeep Dhar says:

You are gone if you belong to General Category.

14. neeraj says:

is auditor in CAG better than RBI assistant?

Please reply..

• Sandeep Dhar says:

Always better sir though both are clerical data entry type jobs, the variety will be more in the CAG one.

15. Smruti says:

Sir ,
    First of all thank you for this clear info . But I Want to know if i can apply from other state , other than my home state ( orissa ).

16. Bipllab says:

Mrunal Sir please give the tips how to prepare for the rbi assistant exam.

17. Jai says:

Great work again
    Please give us a clear picture for Grade B as well.

Thanks

18. Karna says:

Hello Mrunal, Thanks for the article. But I need a help regarding the application of RBI Asst. In the application it had asked for “General Computer Knowledge” which I’m confused what to write there. I’m a Computer Science graduate and so I know about computing.
    What are the things I can write in that box, maybe like MS Word, MS Excel that is what I think an Asst. should have known. Is there anything which I can learn so that it could be useful if I get the job. Could you comment on this please.

19. Neha S says:

Thanks Sir, for this article and all the articles you have published earlier giving detailed information about the exams.
    I have heard that IBPS is going to conduct this online exam. So will the pattern be same as we have seen in other IBPS exams and Do we need to study in detail about RBI for GA Section??
    Sir, Can you tell which book contains a lot of questions on Puzzles (logical Reasoning) of high level that are generally asked in IBPS Exams. I have searched on Internet but could not find any useful site.
    Plz Plz reply!!

• dhanjit choudhury says:

neha ji u can use the book analytical reasoning by m k pandey,and common sense reasoning of bsc publication….. u ll get each and every type of questions asked in high level reasoning along with short cut methods….and with a good no. of practice questions….

• Neha S says:

Thanks a lot!

20. Nimesh says:

IS there any bond like structure in assistant post? Can we upgrade our post by just giving exam for it?

21. atul says:

The above given Cut off is including interview marks or only of written marks?

• Maddy says:

Only written test of 200 marks…

22. shruti says:

sir we heard that RBI grade’B is coming ??? is that is true ?? i am a graduate (b.sc ) and age 24 … will i be eligible for dat ?? pls clear my doubt …. i want to prepare for it …pls help .

23. MINAKSHI says:

Mrunal I wish to know that while filling up the RBI assistant application form, due to the internet connection problem I opted for the knowledge of regional language for Patna as ‘NO’.But at the end when it was asked about the languages known to me I mentioned ‘ENGLISH,HINDI,ANGIKA’ and even my payment for the exam has also been made.So,shall I get the admit card for this particular exam.Please reply.

24. Kavya says:

Dear sir, can you tell me the strategy to adopt for management optional in mains and also reference books?

25. ruchi says:

Dear sir͵
    Can you plz give the study plan for RBI ASSISTANT EXAM 2013. i hav to clear it any how. plz help me. my gk is v poor. i hav to work hard. plz upload it as soon as possible. plz plz plz.. help me.. waiting for ur mail. plz also tel me d way to crack it…thanks a lot.

Regards
    Ruchi..

26. chandu says:

Very funny.
    Thanks for info.

27. suresh kumar says:

Hi Mrunal Sir,
    I have not received my final year scholarship.I belong to Alwar Rajasthan.When I asked social welfare department Alwar,They said we have already sent into your account last year.But I have not received it.I am sure that these people are making me fool and they have eaten the money in middle as you know abt corruption in public offices.Now what should I do? Should i file RTI or Should I do a court case against them in lok adalat or you suggest.As you are the most knowledgeably person abt indian govt offices,Please guide me wat to do and also how to do.

28. diya says:

hi mrunal sir …its urgent
    as i belong to other state.
    i applied for gujrat state
    but i dont kw gujrati language can it creat prblm??????
    i only knw regional lanuge like hindi english nd other i dont kw
    plz kindly response

29. kricha says:

Hello sir,
    i belong to hindi state, but live in pune but dont know marathi……….nd can’t go back in hindi state because of my husband’s job…..so i m confused about test center name….so plz suggest me about which center name i can applied……plz

30. kunal says:

hello mrunal bhai,

me reserved category (OBC) me hu magar uske liye vacancy nahi he to kya me general category se form bhar sakata hu?

aapke uttar ke pratiksha me.

31. DN Patralekh says:

Awesome…keep it up Mrunal as you keep it quite simple!!!

32. gaurang says:

can u provide job profile for upsc-cds and salary books?

33. Anshika says:

The CUT-off seems to be very high for rbi-assistant!

34. Akash says:

pls update last year paper

free music downloads

35. somit says:

for those having any doubt regarding which centre/state. to appear from read this https://m.facebook.com/gkaajtak/posts/381346595308375

• Minakshi says:

Thanx for ur valuable suggetions. Please clear one of my doubts also.While filling up the RBI assistant application form, due to the internet connection problem I opted for the knowledge of the state language i.e for the state Patna as ‘NO’.But at the end when it was asked about the languages known to me I mentioned ‘ENGLISH,HINDI,ANGIKA’ and even my payment for the exam has also been made.So,shall I get the admit card for this particular exam.Please reply.

36. guarav says:

Dear Mrunal Sir,
    thanks for this information about RBI asst. i working and preparing hard for competitive exams, as some people told me to prepare only previous papers for maths & reasoning will it be sufficient for RBI exams as i am also going to join some online speed tests for this exam.

kindly revert for this message.

37. somit says:

Miss Minakshi, as per my understanding since Patna comes under the Hindi belt region,the languages mentioned by u in the form are sufficient (Hindi and English) and enough for your application to get accepted.so from now on put all your energy in exam preparation and get rid of all such anxieties !!

• Minakshi says:

Somit,last night when I sent this above query to the RBI admissions office then they replied as,

Dear Candidate,

You send us the soft copy of challan at the earliest.

With regards,
      Support Team
      IBPS

I do not understand why they r asking me to do so .What should I do,please reply.

• somit says:

Minakshi, co operate with IBPS team ..send them the soft copy.There are still 10 days left they will surely come up with a solution for you.Such instances happen with many candidates.Relax and do not panic.

38. NIPON says:

Sir plz give some gudance for the insurance sector assistant exam.what type of question may be asked in the exam.

39. NIPON says:

Sir plz give your valuable guidance for the insurance sector assistant exam.what type of question may be asked

40. rajeev says:

sir mera chndigargh region hai aur usme sc ki ek bhi vacancy ni hai so muje apply krna chye ya nahi.

41. ash says:

These cut offs,including interview marks or without??

42. parth says:

Sir can you plz give the clear understanding of payscale… what does at the end ’20 years’ mean ??

43. RSK says:

EXAM wil be online or offline???????

44. Shashi says:

Hi Sir
    I have done my Graduation from BHOPAL{MP},
    can i fill the form for RBI Assistant, for any other city?

45. Basavaraj says:

Hi Mrunal,

Could you please give me a strategy for preparation of insurance assistant job.

Regards,
    Basavaraj

46. Arjun says:

Hi,
    Currently I am working in Maharashtra but I belong to MP so i want to apply for bhopal.Is it possible to have exam center and job location different??? PLZ reply

47. ANAYTA says:

hello sir
    while filling the form for RBI assistant,by mistake i chose the option ‘no’where it was asked if you are proficient in the language of the state you are applying for.
    will my form get rejecteD??????

48. tanmoy says:

what is the minimum individual section wise cut-off for RBI ASSISTANTS?????

49. Anu says:

Hi, sir i have small doubt in filling the application.i.e., in filling the column of details of computer knowledge.please help me in that

50. mustahab says:

sir why this cut off list is so high