- ASEAN – India Commemorative Summit 2012
- Delhi Dialogue
- India ASEAN logo
- ASEAN-India Eminent Persons Group (AIEPG)
- You know the rule, whenever someone/something’s birth/death anniversary is in the multiple of 10, 15,25…then it becomes important for UPSC. (Whether UPSC will actually ask any question or not, that’s a different matter!)
- Anyways ASEAN topic becomes important because in the end of 2012, two important developments took place
- 20th Anniversary of India-ASEAN dialogue.
- India-ASEAN FTA in service & investment was signed.
- Held in Delhi, Dec 2012 (during the same time when Delhi gang-rape protests had erupted).
- To mark the 20th year anniversary of the ASEAN – India dialogue
- Theme: ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity.
- This summit led to three outcomes
- car rally
- naval expedition
- vision document
- It started from Yogyakarta (Indonesia) and ended in New Delhi (India).
- Its Journey covered 8 out 10 ASEAN nations. (and more than 8000 kms)
But What was the purpose of this car rally?
- To Increase jantaa’s awareness about India-ASEAN partnership, with respect to, trade-investment-tourism and people to people linkages.
- To waste petrol and increase air pollution
- Part of the 20th anniversary celebration, India sent “INS Sudarshini” on a ship expedition to ASEAN countries. (6 months, 9 countries)
- To enhance people-to-people and naval links between India and the ASEAN nations.
|About the ship|
It was adopted during the Commemorative Summit held in New Delhi (Dec 2012). This document..
- Declared India and ASEAN as strategic partners.
- India agreed to support ASEAN community (to be setup in 2015).
- Work for ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity.
- political and security, economic, socio-cultural and development cooperation
in future, we’ll intensify our security consultations in
|Regional forums like||Sub-regional forums like|
by the way, recall that we said the similar things to America, in Kerry visit / 4th Indo-US strategic dialogue article.
As maritime nations, India and ASEAN nations agreed to do following:
- relief during natural disasters
- search and rescue at sea
- maritime safety: for communication and cargo
- freedom of navigation
- fisheries: promotion, protection
- Peaceful settlement of maritime disputes, as per international law including UNCLOS.
- cooperate via ASEAN Maritime Forum (AMF)
- defense and counter-terrorism cooperation
- transnational crimes, India is committed to drug-free ASEAN 2015
- ASEAN-India Joint Declaration for Cooperation to Combat International Terrorism.
Together face common challenges related to
- energy security
- Food security, agriculture development.
- rapid urbanization
- climate change
- education and skill development, including English language training
- drug abuse
- natural disasters
- India-ASEAN already cooperating here under the CEBU declaration. (CEBU declaration was signed in 2007 for energy security and alternatives to conventional fuels).
- India accepts 100% FDI from ASEAN investors for renewable power generation projects in India.
ASEAN-India Green Fund
ASEAN-India S&T Fund
- greater interaction between our people: particularly younger generations, students, scientists, academics, intellectuals, diplomats, media, entrepreneurs, agriculturists and artists
- We will also enhance contacts between parliamentarians, media personnel, academics and Track II institutions such as the network of think tanks.
- Study/research on India’s civilization links with ASEAN countries.
- Protect/restore following monuments because they show civilizational bonds between ASEAN countries and India
|Borobudur and Prambanan temples||Indonesia||dedicated to the Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva|
|Wat Phu||Lao||Theravada Buddhist monuments.|
|Bagan||Myanmar||Theravada Buddhism. temples, pagodas and monasteries|
|Sukhothai Historical Park||Thailand||Buddhist architecture|
|My Son||Vietnam||abandoned and partially ruined Hindu temples constructed between the 4th and the 14th century AD|
Joint development of infrastructure such as transport networks, ports, shipping and air connectivity
|This will connect Southeast Asia to South Asia on the eastern part of India|
^These will help in greater regional economic integration between ASEAN and India.
now let’s look at some minor topics:
- India-ASEAN Delhi Dialogue is an annual international conference of political and economic leaders, officials, academics and opinion-makers of ASEAN countries
- 5th Dialogue was held in Feb 2013, theme “India and ASEAN: Partners for Peace, Progress and Stability.”
- Unveiled in 2012.
- It is an improvised five-spoked wind turbine,
- It represents energy, motion, progress, connectivity and dynamism as well as the expanding canvas of ASEAN-India partnership.
- This group was setup to review the ASEAN-India Dialogue Relations and long-term strategic partnership.
- Gave report in 2012.
- Here are the major recommendations:
|Diplomat||India should install a separate ambassador in Jakarta, solely dedicated to ASEAN-India relations.|
|Security||regular bilateral consultations between ASEAN and India on drug trafficking.|
setup ASEAN-India Business Portal for
- Major Inputs from Ms.Shalini Rai
- Ch.10, International Relations, Peu Ghosh