- Agri / Dairy related
- Environment and Biodiversity (EnB) related
- Solar/ Energy related
- Drinking Water related
I’m running the Summary of Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s Annual Report 2012-13. This report contains some good material UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 3 Topics:
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Total four part article series:
- Agro, EnB, Solar and Water (We’re here)
- Medical/Healthcare, Building-construction, textile, metal, plasma, Nano etc.
- Projects for benefit of SC, ST, Women, States and Human resource development
- Mapping, International relation (IR), awareness campaigns and awards.
ok But What about the Hindu science tech compilation for Sep-Oct-Nov? I’ll release it after 15th Nov.
- Potassium is an essential plant nutrient. MOP (Muriate of Potash) and SOP (Sulphate of Potash) are the popular forms of potassic fertilizer,
- but We don’t have local mineral resources, have to rely on Potash through imports= more current account deficit
- However, we’re blessed with long coast line=salt production.
- Britten= bitter liquid remaining after common salt has been crystallized out of sea water.
- This Britten can be used to harvest potassium chloride (20-25 gms per liter)=> further processing will give Potash.
- DST funding project for this indigenous production of Potash.
- + another project to extract ultra-pure magnesia from seawater
- India being the largest producer of banana in the world
- But Banana stem=generally discarded as waste.
- banana stem+wheat straw / Bagasses=>pulp them = can be used for paper making and reinforcement fibres
- this will reduce the need to import softwood/hardwood pulp.
- Example of Non-Edible oils= Wild Apricot, Karanj, Malkangni, Jojoba, Wild Castor
- NEO can be used for making soaps, lubricants, paints and varnishes, medicines etc.
- But all value-addition and employment generation takes place in urban-industrial areas.
- And tribals get very low income for collecting raw material.
- DST promoting a hub-and-spoke supply chain using Village level women SHG.
let’s check some more projects supported by DST:
|bio control agents= using bugs/living organism to destroy other pests. DST running project to see bio control potential of|
|Solar Tunnel Dryers for Copra Production in TN.|
Hand Held Electronic Nose (HEN)
|Jack fruit cutter @ Thiruvananthapuram, minimize women’s drudgery involved in jackfruit processing|
Milk protein estimator
|for tea aroma classification|
solar food processing
|solar food processing of non-timber forest produce such as Gum Karaya, Satavari, Neelavemu and Maredugaddalu for value addition and income generation for tribal farmers.|
PEOPLE LIVING IN DIFFICULT AREAS
|ASAR||for people living in the Arid and Semi-arid Regions e.g. Rajasthan, Gujarat and MP|
|CODER||for people living Cold Desert Regions. e.g. JK, HP.|
These programs focus on Soil and water management, Sustainable Agriculture etc.
National Action plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) => two components for DST
- National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change (NMSKCC)
- National Mission for Sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE)
DST also helped in following projects related to climate change
- measuring Long Term Changes in Sea Level along Indian Coast by National Institute of Oceanography
- studying Climate Change on Agriculture and Forest Ecosystem in Indo-Gangetic Plains
- case studies for sustainable livelihood and climate change by IRMA (Indian Institute of Rural Management) Anand.
- Knowledge for Climate Studies Centre by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Coal based thermal power plants=>release fly ash=>pollution.
- but fly ash could also be used for
- Construction of railway embankments
- in concrete for critical structures such as building
- foundation material for turbo- generators, chimneys and cooling towers etc. in power plants
- DST promotes R&D for such uses of fly ash to change the image of fly ash from a “WASTE MATERIAL” to a “RESOURCE MATERIAL”.
- Since its inception, this project has added economic returns worth >3 billion USD and employment >1 million people.
- Even Russia has sought the expertise of this fly Ash Unit.
- NATIONAL MISSION ON BAMBOO APPLICATIONS (NMBA) by DST
- to promote bamboo related to create economic opportunity, income and employment for the tribal.
|Bamboo For School Buildings|
|Bamboo Vinegar Oil|
|Thermoplastics||Bamboo thermoplastics are being used in the non-critical components/ interior decoration of 2/3 wheeler vehicles (i.e. three wheeler and two wheeler).|
|Arsenic Kit||for detecting arsenic levels in drinking water. Uses silver nitrate.|
|Artificial Glacier Technology||water bodies constructed in Leh region for livelihood generation and irrigation purpose.|
|Greenway Smart Stove|
|WaSH||ECO & WaSH (WATER, SANITATION & HYGIENE) FUTURESProgram for science communications related to eco-resources and water, sanitation & hygiene.|
2007: DST launched NATIONAL PROGRAM ON CARBON SEQUESTRATION RESEARCH (NPCSR).
At present DST funding projects for
- Bio-fixation of CO2 using microalgae Scenedesmus sp. It grows well in industry effluent=cheap cost.
- Bio-logical carbon sequestration in terrestrial, fresh water and marine forms.
- Microbial fuel cell
- carbon sequestration for crop land, forest land, grass land, wet land and agro-ecosystem etc.
let’s check some projects supported by DST:
|ARTI||Appropriate Rural Technology Institute(ARTI), Pune, Maharashtrafor converting agricultural and other waste into high grade fuels.|
|Dye Sensitized Solar Cell Technology|
|Hybrid Solar-Biomass Powerplant|
- Winning, Augmentation and Renovation (WAR) for water program.
- DST giving funds for developing low cost solutions using indigenous technology for safe drinking water, purification, recycling etc. let’s check progress:
|States||water problem||solution given|
|Andhra, TN||saline water, bacteria etc||Reverse osmosis and UV treatment|
Next part, we’ll see DST’s support to medical, electronics, plasma research etc.