- Sci-tech for Socio-Economic Development
- Tribal Development
- Schedule caste development
- Women and Science
- Empowering Desi Manpower
- Cooperation with desi States
- PPP/funding/collaboration with private Players
I’m running the Summary of Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s Annual Report 2012-13. This report contains some good material UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 3 Topics:
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=acquistare-levitra-online-sicuro-Calabria Total four part article series:
- Agro, EnB, Solar and Water
- Medical/Healthcare, Building-construction, textile, metal, plasma, Nano etc.
- Projects for benefit of SC, ST, Women, States and Human resource development: http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=acquistare-viagra-generico-100-mg-a-Genova You’re here
- Mapping, International relation (IR), awareness campaigns and awards.
Sci-tech for Socio-Economic Development
DST supports following programs:
ca$H comes from “Tribal Sub Plan” of the Department of Science & Technology. funding given for S&T applications in fruit crops, kitchen gardening, backyard poultry, goat rearing etc. let’s check some specific projects:
Tuna processing & Tribal development
- Lakshadweep islands with its large lagoon offers very high potential for tuna.
- but only less than 10% of the fishing potential is actually being tapped from this area.
- dried tuna (Masmin) widely consumed in Sri Lanka, U.A.E, Malaysia, Philippines.
- DST helping project for production of dried tuna (Masmin) and value added products in Minicoy islands.
- fish waste = used for making pet feed.
- Will help generating large scale employment in transporting, manufacturing, packing, marketing activities in a cooperative mode.
- Biomass Based Stove for Leaf Moulding Machine (=leaf dishes used in marriage feasts)
- machine does not require electricity for moulding operation with the improved heat transfer and combustion efficiency
- developed by IIT, Kharagpur, tested in Mayurbhanj, Odisha.
Protected Areas (PA)
- Eleventh Conference of Parties (CoP-11) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) was held @Hyd. in 2012. for more click me
- Here India agreed to implement CoP-11 – Programme on People & Protected Areas (PAs).
- This program brings together community, grass root NGO and other stakeholders for local conservation and livelihood issues
Schedule caste development
ca$H comes from DST’s Sub-Plan for the Development of Scheduled Caste Population (SCSP).
||DST promoting cultivation of Nalia grass in Coastal Odisha to increase livelihood of SC communities + ecological benefits.
other projects run via All India Coordinated programme (AICP):=
| http://buy-generic-clomid.com/ Non-Farm
- non-farm technologies for better income
- new tools and simple machineries for artisans
- Biomass utilization to generate energy, compost etc.
- Breed improvement in local animals like goats, poultry, and rabbits.
- Backyard poultry and kitchen garden for better nutrition etc.
- Value addition of local fruits and vegetables
- water treatment plants
- ground water recharging technologies
- rain water harvesting technologies
- sanitary latrines
Women and Science
- Under Science for Equity, Empowerment and Development (SEED) Division of DST.
- to promote gender equality and empower women through application of S&T
- Socio-economic development of the women, especially in rural areas.
- Improve livelihood prospects, drudgery reduction, health issues specific to women etc.
- with help of NGOs, universities etc
WOMEN FELLOWSHIP SCHEMES
- For women who have taken break from their science career.
- scheme gives them opportunity to come back in main stream of science /engg.
- workshops to guide women on how to shape up their ideas in the form of a project.
- IPR related training-certification exams for women scientists.
- Consolidation of University Research for Innovation and Excellence (CURIE)
- To improve the R & D infrastructure @Women Universities’
- so far 6 univ. supported. Latest being Banasthali University, Banasthali.
- it’ll help gender parity in the long run.
Empowering Desi Manpower
- Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)
- Who? Ministry of Science & Technology
- Why? To attract/inspire talented students to study Science and pursue career in research.
- When? 11th FYP and continued for 12th FYP as well.
INSPIRE includes following:
- Scheme for Early Attraction of Talents for Science (SEATS),
- Scholarship For Higher Education (SHE)
- Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC)
- INSPIRE Award (Rs.5000 for science project)
- INSPIRE Internship (students also get chance to interact with Nobel winners)
- INSPIRE Scholarship
- INSPIRE Fellowship
- INSPIRE Faculty Award
|for Indian scientists living in India, with are having regular positions in various institutions.
||for (NRI) Scientists+Engineers who want to return to India .
|max age limit: 68
||duration: 5 years
|Benefit: 25,000 per month
||75000 per month + Annual grant of 5 lack rupee.
- UTILIZATION OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE OF RETIRED SCIENTISTS (USERS)
- to get the help of retired scientists to write in books/monographs and state of art-reports.
|Rajat Jayanti Vigyan Sancharak Fellowship
- for young scientists who are creating awareness generation among various target groups in remote areas.
- duration: 1 year.
Cooperation with desi States
- STATE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PROGRAMME (SSTP) by DST.
- this is the is the only scheme of the Union Government to promote S&[email protected] level since VI
- Provides help to State S&T Councils.
||mitigating Water Crisis by Roof top rain waterHarvesting structures for SC/ST households in Southern Andhra.
- Micro hydel project on Sakthang Rong river.
- Prevalence of familial cancers because of DDT, Endosulfan, agro-chemicals.
- DST running risk assessment.
- Glomus mosseae=>bio-fertilizer
- Trichoderma Virideis=>bio-pesticide.
||Problem? Aquaculture =>mangrove habitat loss=>more damage during cyclones, tsunami etc.Solution? Scientific and mangrove friendly type of aquaculture (silvofishery). Projects going in Kerala.
- DNA and Chromosomal damage in workers of stone crushing/quarrying units
- DST running risk assessment.
- series of projects related to upliftment of SC/ST population
- in Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, West Bengal and Tamilnadu.
- example: livestock rearing ,agriculture, and vocational training for artisans.
- eco friendly rodent control methods for farmers
- Soil Testing Kit – Ferticheck
- in many villages of Jaunpur district- females have muscular dystrophies.
- project to use biomarkers and find genetically susceptible people and give them advance treatment.
PPP/funding/collaboration with private Players
- Fund for Infrastructure Strengthening of Science and Technology (FIST)
- improves the facilities/machines at the university
- Provided better exposure to the students for preparing their base in research.
- given to both basic + applied science areas including engineering, medicine, agriculture etc
- Global Innovation & Technology Alliance (GITA)
- to stimulate private sector’s investment in R&D
- Technology Cooperation agreements with many countries (more than 70 countries) launched industrial R&D programmes with Canada and Israel
|Global INK platform
- by Ministry of overseas affairs + Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- electronic platform for using Indian Diaspora’s skill for the benefit of the country.
- to connect knowledge experts with knowledge seekers.
- India Innovation Initiative – i3 i
- PPP by DST+CCI+Agilent Tech.
- helps upcoming innovators for incubation, funding, marketing etc.
- Initiative for Research and Innovation in Science – IRIS
- PPP by DST+CCI+Intel.
- for kids in class 5-12
- Millennium Alliance (MA)= an India – U.S. innovation Partnership for Global Development
- to bring together social innovators, philanthropy organizations, social venture capitalists, angel investors, donors, corporate foundations etc.
- will provide innovators funding, grants, incubation, marketing, technical assistance etc.
- MEGA FACILITIES FOR BASIC RESEARCH
- to create Mega Science facilities and launch Mega Science programmes in and out of the country
- India -EU Networking Pilot Programme (New Indigo)
- Green Chemistry, Water Purification, transport, clean energy etc.
- Research Agencies of Belgium, Finland, France, Netherlands, Germany and Spain had initiated joint proposals.
- NATIONAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT BOARD (NSTEDB)
- under DST
- promotes innovation and entrepreneurship to convert “job-seekers” into “job-generators”
- Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence.
- Grants given to univ. depending on their scientific/research publications.
- In the 11th plan period
- To boost research at the University Sector
- funding for manpower, equipments, magazines/journals, travel, workshops/conference etc.
- Greater flexibilities: univ. free to choose their equipments etc.
- doesn’t give ca$h for building and civil construction
- doesn’t give ca$h for permanent faculties (only for contractual manpower)
- SOPHISTICATED ANALYTICAL INSTRUMENT FACILITIES (SAIF)
- to provide sophisticated instruments to the research workers all over India.
- So they can purse R&D activities and keep pace with developments taking place globally.
- SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH BOARD (SERB)
- under Dept of S&T.
- provides funding for R&D
- fellowships including JC Bose, Ramanujan; Seminar/ Symposia and S&T Professional Bodies;
- International Travel Support
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT BOARD(TDB)
- statutory body in 1996
- gives financial assistance for
- development and commercial application of indigenous technology and
- adapting imported technology for domestic uses
- Via loan (debt) or equity.
- Notable projects: IVDD, EndoXS, Easymesh, Eko:branchless banking, Paclitaxel, PacliALL. (these terms covered in first and second part of article series)