Important: SSC CGL has made some changes in the notification about age/education for certain jobs. CLICK ME
- Exam Syllabus and Strategy?
- Important Dates and links for application
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Can I apply multiple times?
- Validity of Distance Education Degree?
- Confusion in Job Preference codes?
- Age and Attempt limit
- Codes for Education-qualification, Exam Center and Category
- Negative Marketing
- Sectional Cutoffs in Tier-I?
- Tie in score
- OBC creamy Layer: Avoid Mistakes
- Physical Standards?
- Exam Centers
- Photo ID
- Helpdesk Numbers
- No. of vacancies?
- Last Semester
- DONOT apply for this EXAM before knowing the job profiles of various posts offered under this exam (Assistant, Inspectors, Auditors, Clerks etc.) Otherwise, Even if you get high marks, you’ll get lower job IF you tick job preferences foolishly. Job profiles covered in separate article CLICK ME, read it thoroughly before you tick the preferences in the application form. They’ll not allow you to change job preference at later stage.
- DONOT tick job preference for Statistical invigilator/compiler posts UNLESS you’ve relevant eligibility. (minimum 60% in class 12 maths OR studied statistics at degree level.)
- DONOT Apply for this exam IF You are in last year or last semester of graduation. (Because candidate must have finished the bachelor’s degree on or before 1/1/2014)
- and most importantly, DONOT misplace your registration id and roll number after the exam is over. Write it down down at multiple places: in your mobile contact list, in google docs, in the wall-calendar in drawing room and in your bio data/certificate file. (Same principle for all competitive exams you appear in.)
In short, first get familiar with this exam-system, SSC technicalities are bit different than UPSC and IBPS. So, don’t make haste in filling the application form, read the official notification first.
SSC was thinking of changing syllabus of SSC-CGL 2014. BUT they’ve decided to continue with the old system and syllabus. (only MCQs, No descriptive paper, Same syllabus.)
Therefore, booklist, strategy, study plan same as earlier CGL-2013. click on the following links:
- General Awareness (GA/GK)
- Maths, Quantitative Aptitude
- English Grammar, Vocabulary and Comprehension
- Reasoning, General Intelligence
(Although some minor tweaking here and there according to 2013’s papers, that we’ll see later.
but the underlying principles remains same like explained in above links)
Tier 1 (Written MCQ)
One paper with 200 marks: Reasoning (50) + Maths (50) + GA,GK (50) + English (50)
Tier 2 (Written MCQ)
|Maths Paper||for everyone|
|English paper||for everyone|
|Statistics paper||Only for those who apply for statistics invigilator/compiler post. I repeat again, DONOT apply for this post, UNLESS you’ve the relevant degrees in Commerce, Maths, Stat. or economics. Full list is given on Page 11 of the official notification.|
Tier 3 Interview/Proficiency
|Interview (100 marks)||Assistants (gr.B), inspectors, Enforcement office, Stat.invigilators|
|No interview||Auditors, Jr. Accountant, clerks, Tax assistants and Stat compiler.|
|Computer proficiency test: word, powerpoint and Excel||only Assistants (gr.B)|
|Data entry test||only for Tax assistants (gr.C)|
For SSC-CGL Notification: http://ssc.nic.in/notice/examnotice/CGLE-2014%20Notice.pdf
For Paper application form: http://ssc.nic.in/notice/examnotice/Application%20Form%20CGLE%202014.pdf
(Backup-server): if above links don’t work then, goto following link and download whatever you want:
|online applicant||19th Jan||SSC will start accepting online application through|
Important: Apply using Internet Explorer browser. If you try with google chrome or Firefox, some error may happen.
Credit card/ Debit card NOT accepted.
|22th Feb||you must finish part I registration by this date. (5PM)|
|24th Feb||you must finish part II registration by this date. (5PM)|
|offline (paper-form) applicant||24 February, Friday||if you’re apply offline (through paper application), then your application must reach SSC office by this date.|
|exam dates||27 April and 4th May|
|30-31 August||SSC tier II exam will be held.|
Q. I filled up the form but then xyz error happened OR
I’ve already applied but now I want to change the job preference now. Can I apply again? OR
I made some mistake in tying date of birth, graduation marks or xyz thing, can I apply again?
Ans. In case of multiple applications for on-line application, the last application for which part-i and part-ii registration have been completed will be accepted.
- you applied first time and got registration id: ABC1000.
- You applied again, after a few days and got registration id: ABC5000. <=They’ll send you hallticket according to this application.
For off-line applications, the regional director/deputy director at his/her discretion, will accept only one of the applications.
Q. I’ve done graduation from xyz postal/distance Education University. Is my degree valid for this SSC CGL exam?
Ans. Yes IF your course is recognized by Distance Education Council, IGNOU. You can see the list of valid courses here: http://www.dec.ac.in/Documents/currentstatus.pdf
Q. Which job should I give first preferfence to? so What preference should I give to xyz post?
Ans. Job profiles for individual posts, given in a separate article CLICK ME,
Rule of thumbs are:
– Want uniform?= Preventive officer (white), Excise inspector (Khakhi)
– Want adventure/risk= CBI, Nacrotics, Preventive officer, Enforcement directorate. (although in real life, its more stress than adventure.)
– Want peace of mind, family life, permanently settle in Delhi= Assistants in Group B in certain ministries.
– Want posting in foreign country= Assistant in Ministry of External affairs.
– Non interview posts should be given last preference because they get less salary, power, promotion than interview posts.
For Assistant (CSS) posts: Three attempts.
Age is counted on 1st January 2014.
|jobs||Age limit for General Category||OBC (3 years relaxed)||SC/ST (5 years relaxed)|
|Assistant in ministries (Group B)||20-27|
|CBI sub inspector||20-30|
|Statistical invigilator Group II||not above 32|
|Assistant Enforcement Officer||30|
|all the remaining jobs||18-27|
Physically disabled, Central service employees, ex-servicemen, widowed/divorced women also get age relaxation. for full details read page no. 7 and 8 of the notification.
Q. I’m applying for SSC via Paper application (offline mode), what is the code for xyz thing?
Ans. You’ll find those codes in the official notification (click me)
|Job preference codes||3 and 4|
|Category codes for Age relaxation||7, 8 and 9|
|Exam Center Codes||13 and 14|
|Educational Qualification Codes||39 and 40|
Q. Is there negative marking in SSC CGL exam?
|Paper||negative marking for wrong answer|
|Tier-2 (maths) compulsory for everyone||-0.50|
|Tier-2 (English) compulsory for everyone||-0.25|
|Tier-2 (Statistics) only for those who apply.||-0.50|
Q. Does SSC CGL exam have sectional cut-offs like in IBPS and RBI exams?
But to remain ‘legally-correct’, SSC-walla always mention in notification that they shall have the discretion to fix different minimum qualifying marks in each component (Maths, English, Reasoning, GK/GK) of Tier 1.
Q. What is the time table for Tier I and Tier II exams?
Tier-1: 27th April and 4th May. (Given the large number of applicants, it is conducted twice and there also morning and evening session). BUT you’ll have to appear for only one paper.
|30th August||Statistics paper (only for those who applied for Stat invigilator/compiler job)|
|31st August||Maths Paper (morning)|
|31st August||English paper (afternoon)|
Q. What if two candidates get same final score?
Ans. Final merit list is prepared by combining the marks of Tier-I + Tier-2 + Tier 3. If there is tie, then it will be solved in following sequence:
- Total marks of Tier-II Examination.
- Total marks in Tier-I Examination
- Date of Birth, with older candidate placed higher.
- Alphabetical order in which the first names of the candidates appear.
To claim OBC reservation benefit, you need two certificates.
|Name of certificate||Important thing to keep in mind:|
|State’s own list and Central government’s list are different.Your caste MUST be in central list. Check here http://www.ncbc.nic.in/centrallistifobc.htmlFor example,|
The Commission has decided to accept OBC certificate, in the prescribed format, issued after the closing date for receipt of application but issued on or before the date of completion of last tier of the examination i.e. Interview/Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test/ Document Verification, as applicable , in the concerned SSC Regional Office, as valid proof of belonging to non-creamy layer of OBC. NOTE:- Candidates are warned that they will be permanently debarred from the examinations conducted by the Commission in case they fraudulently claim SC/ST/OBC/ExS/PH status.
- In short, make sure you’ve these certificates, else make trip to Tehsildar’s office/Collector Office/Jan-Seva Kendra and get the proper certificates.
- Otherwise, SSC will reject you at the last stage, during document verification and your entire year will be wasted for nothing.
Q. What are the Minimum height/chest/eye-sight requirements for SSC jobs?
Ans. It applies to only a few specific jobs:
Category#1: CENTRAL EXCISE/EXAMINER/ PREVENTIVE OFFICER/INSPECTOR & SUB-INEPCTOR IN Narcotic bureau. (Note CBI has different rules)
|chest||Chest 81 cms (+5cm expansion)||–|
|weight||–||48 kg. and 2 kg relaxed for ST, Gorkhas, Garwalis, Assamese|
|physical test (walking)||1.6kms in 15 minutes||1km in 15 minutes|
|physical test (cycling)||8 km in 30 minutes||3 km in 25 minutes|
- Persons with disabilities will have to meet the physical standards i.e. Height, Chest and Weight prescribed for the post of Inspectors, Central Excise, Examiner and Preventive Officer in CBEC.
- However, for orthopedically disabled candidates the following relaxation in Physical Test is allowed:
- The test of ―Walking‖ shall not be insisted in case of OL and OAL categories.
- The test of ―Cycling‖ shall not be insisted in case of OA, OL and OAL categories.
Category#2: CBI sub inspector
|chest||Chest 76 cms (with expansion)||–|
- Eye-sight (with or without glasses)
- Distant vision: 6/6 in one and 6/9 in the other eye.
- Near vision 0.6 in one eye and 0.8 in other eye.
- You’ll have to pick your Tier-1 exam center. In tier II, Commission will allot the candidates to the same or nearby centre in Tier II Examination.
- The Commission reserves the right to cancel any Centre and ask the candidates of that centre to appear from another centre. (and this happens often).
- Following people don’t need to pay fees Women, SC, ST, PH and Ex-serviceman
- Others have to pay Rs.100 fees.
- There are two ways to pay fees
- Online application = Challan (and pay cash At local SBI branch) OR via internet banking from SBI account. (Note: they don’t accept debit card or credit card.)
- Offline (paper application)= you’ve to buy Rs.100 worth Central recruitment fee stamp (CRFS). Important: you must get it “cancelled” (i.e. ask the post office clerk to put a sign on it.)
Q. When will I get my hallticket /Admission card?
Ans. two weeks before the exam. it’ll be uploaded on the regional site of SSC.
During exam, you MUST carry at least one photo bearing IDENTITY PROOF in original such as Driving Licence, Voter Card, Aadhaar Card, Identity Card issued by University/College, Income Tax Pan Card.
- SSC(NR), New Delhi – 01164715222, 01165021888,01124363343,01124360840
- SSC(CR), Allahabad – 05322460511, 05326541021
- SSC(SR), Chennai – 09445195946, 04428251139
- SSC(WR), Mumbai – 09869730700, 07738422705
- SSC(ER), Kolkata – 09477461228, 09477461229
- SSC(MPR) Raipur – 09407921504, 09407921505
- SSC(KKR), Bangalore – 08025502520, 09483862020
- SSC(NWR), Chandigarh – 09915509204, 09915509331
- SSC(NER), Guwahati, – 09085073593, 09085015252
Q. I want to file RTI to SSC for xyz matter
Ans. How to file RTI, is explained in following article click me
Q. How many vacancies are there, for those individual posts?
Ans. Firm number of vacancies in each category of posts will be determined at least one month before the declaration of the final results.
Q. I’m in the last semester/ last year of college? Can I apply?
Ans. No. You must have completed graduation on OR before 1st January 2014. Otherwise, they’ll reject you at document verification stage.
Let’s assume you prepare extremely well and clear tier 1 and tier 2, still they’ll reject you at document verification stage. So, instead of occupying a seat at tier-II, tier III, better let a needy person get those seats.
Besides, SSC will release official answerkeys and cut-offs. So, you can practice the same question paper at home. (instead of appearing in the exam just for the sake of “experience”).
Courtesy Mr. Chandra Deo
Q- I have not filled the non interview post as my preference , can i get that post because now i am planning to change my preference order?
No , SSC strictly followed the preference order , if you have not filled the post then you will not get it .
Q I have a backlogs in my graduation , that i have still not cleared , can i fill this form?
No, if you have back it means you have not yet completed your graduation .
Q i have 45% marks in graduation , can i fill this form ?
Central govt recruitment is based on merit system , for this they conduct written exam . Less marks in graduation / 10th / 12th does not create any problem . There is no such specific criteria, you can go ahead.
Q I use -5D spectacles , will it create any problem in income tax inspector or any other post ?
No , no problem at all. Your vision should be 6/6 using glasses.
Q i have not filled CSS cadre in my preference in 2012 exam , will it be count as a used attempt for CSS cadre.
If you have not filled CSS cadres in your preference / you dropped the idea to give T1 exam then this attempt will not be counted as a used attempt.
Q – i have filled statistical investigator post in my preference but i don’t have statistics as a subject in my graduation ?
Give T1 exam and don’t appear in statistics paper of T2. not a problem at all.