- D1: UN-IOC Sports for development and Peace
- D2: UNSECO and International literacy day
- D3: UN-IOC Sports for development and Peace
http://whenwaterwaseverywhere.com/?x=viagra-super-active-50mg Q. Write a short note on the structure & function of UN-ECOSOC (100 words)
Since UN ECOSOC had released this Arab integration report (and it appeared in Hindu & Frontline) hence this “Chillar” body becomes super important!
anyways, let’s frame the answer:
get link Answer key points
Economic and Social council (ECOSOC) is one of the six principle organs of United Nations.
- ECOSOC membership is based on geographical representation. Out of 54 seats, specific quotas fixed for Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, Europe etc.
- They’re elected from General Assembly for a term of three years.
- Four UNSC members – US, UK, Russia and France- are reelected continuously, because they provide majority of the funding to ECOSOC.
- Decisions by simple majority vote.
- Presidency changes annually.
- NGOs also given “Consultative status”.
see url Functions
- Direct and coordinate the economic, social, humanitarian, and cultural activities of the UN and its agencies; sends progress reports and resolutions to UNGA.
- Conduct studies pertaining to human rights, narcotics, population, demographic change, social development, status of women, role of sci-tech etc.
- buy clomid online NIOS Political Science Module: Chapter 32, Page 340-41
- http://acrossaday.com/?search=best-price-on-vardenafil Britannica Page
Q. Write a note on structure and functions of UNESCO and international literacy day 200 words.
- UNESCO (UN educational scientific and cultural organization):
- Specialized agency of UN, HQ- Paris
|Executive board||58 members. Overall Management of UNESCO|
- International collaboration through education, science and culture interactions
- Promote values of UN charter: rule of law, justice, human rights, fundamental freedom
- Peace, eradicate poverty, sustainable development
|Natural science||promote curiosity and learning|
|Social and human science||To solve the social challenges|
|Culture||To foster Cultural diversity|
|Communication and information||To promote Inclusive knowledge.|
- UNDP report says ~880 million illiterate adults in the world. 2/3rd of them women.
- On the 8th September, 1965, Education ministers met in Tehran, to discuss world literacy problem.
- Hence that day celebrated as International literacy day.
- 2014: theme “Literacy and sustainable Development”.
UNESCO celebrates this day to remind the world that
- Literacy is a human right and the foundation of all learning.
- To mobilize public support against illiteracy.
- UN and IOC has signed an agreement “Sports for development and Peace”
- To use sports for promoting peace and economic development.
- Joint sporting initiatives with help of International Olympics Committee and its allies vs. UN, its member states, Specialized agencies and goodwill ambassadors (like Suresh Kalmadi and Sheila Dixit.)
- Educate youth via sports: learn while you play
- Sports to increase interaction of margined society with rest of the world .
- In conflict areas like Syria and S.Sudan, Sports can help restore some normalcy.
- Sports can motivate children to enroll in schools.
- Sports can empower girls, give them leadership skills.
- Even HIV, drug abuse and environment protection messages can be taught via sports.
Visit Mrunal.org/Diplomacy for entire list articles on Diplomacy & International relations (IR) for Mains GS2 paper of UPSC Civil service IAS/IPS Exam.