- At present, the judges in SC/HC are selected via a collegium method. But this method is opaque, and lacks accountability. Therefore, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Law and Justice recommended creating JAC.
- In December 2013, UPA cabinet cleared two bills related to this.
Bill #1: 120th Constitutional Amendment bill 2013
Adds two new Articles to Constitution
- 124A: JAC composition will be created by an ordinary act
- New Article 124B: JAC functions listed here.
- ti’ll modify Article 124(2) President shall appoint judges on recommendation of Judicial appointment commission (JAC)
- will amend viagra generico 50 mg italia pagamento online a Firenze 217: Appointment of HC judges
- will amend http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=levitra-20-mg-prezzo-pi%C3%B9-basso 222: transfer of HC judges
- will amend dove comprare viagra generico 100 mg pagamento online a Verona 231: common court for two or more states and provision related to judges-transfer in such case. (e.g Seemandhra and Telangana)
- Terms and functions will be defined in Constitution itself.
- so they cannot be amended later on without 2/3rd majority in parliament.
Bill #2: Judicial appointments commission Bill 2013
This ordinary bill/Act will define the composition of JAC
- Chief Justice of India as chairman
- Two Supreme court judges
- Law minister
- Law Secretary (as convenor)
- Two eminent persons (PM+Opposition leader+CJI will select them)
Rajya Sabha has passed this bill. But with dissolution of 15th Lok Sabha, bill lapsed. (Ref. PRSINDIA link)Introduced in Rajya Sabha but referred to standing Committee on law. Current status: PENDING. (Ref. PRSINDIA Link)
http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=acquistare-viagra-generico-100-mg-a-Torino Overall, JAC will have two functions:
- Will replace the collegium system of appointing SC/HC judges
- Recommend transfer of judges from one high court to another.
|parliamentary panel’s recommendations||Did UPA cabinet accept it?|
|three eminent persons in the commission||only two eminent persons|
|At least one out of them should be an SC/ST/OBC/woman/minority, preferably by rotation.||NO|
|~800 judges in the highcourt. So, it’ll be better to have state level JAC for their appointment.||NO|
|if judge dies/ steps down then JAC should be informed within a month so new recruitment can be done||yes|
|JAC should be informed 6 months in advance about the upcoming retirements and vacancies in SC/HC||yes|
At present, CJI is selected on the seniority principle.
|40th CJI-P. Sathasivam||41st CJI R.M.Lodha|
|recommended 2years fixed term for CJI and Chief justices of high courts.||no need for fixed tenure to CJI.|
||If law is enacted to make tenure of CJI fixed, it’ll undermine independence of judiciary|
|Since CJI is frequently changed, he cannot implement full scale judicial reforms, which require his personal supervision for longer period.||
|if the kith and kin of the judges practice in the same court, then bar council should take action against them.|
14th Report of the Law Commission (Motilal Staved )
- This JAC formation will not bring any change if its basic criterion for selection will be same as earlier – principle of seniority.
- CJI selection should be different from the method of selection of other judges of SC and HC
- In past, CJIs could not serve their best capacity, because of limited tenure they retired too soon.
- Due to seniority principle, many deserving judges retire before they can become CJI
- JAC should fix this issue by selecting most competent person in administrative, judicial and leadership skills; social and constitutional philosophy, instead of just focusing on seniority.
farmacia viagra generico 200 mg a Torino Q1. Consider following Constitutional amendments
- 118th: Changes under Article 16 about reservation.
- 119th: transfer of territories between India and Bangladesh
- 120th: judicial appointment commission
Which of them are correctly matched?
- only 1 and 2
- only 2 and 3
- only 1 and 3
- none of them
viagra generico 25 mg italia pagamento online a Milano Q2. Suppose JAC was created then
- President would appoint CJI and other judges in supreme court, as per JAC recommendations
- Governor would appoint judges of high court as per JAC recommendations.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
best place to buy price cialis professional Q3. Suppose, PM wants to reduce salaries of the judges of SC, what should he do?
- get President to declare financial emergency
- get article 125 amended
- Either A or B
- It is not possible because their salaries are charged upon the consolidated fund of India hence outside parliament’s scope.
http://buy-generic-clomid.com Q4. Suppose, PM wants that President should appoint judges of SC/HC only from the names shortlisted by PMO, THEN, which articles will he need to modify?
- 124 and 125
- 217 and 218
- 124 and 217
- It is not possible because of the collegium system.
Interview Question: Should CJI have fixed tenure of 2 years- CJI Lodha says no, Ex-CJI Sathasivam says yes. What’s your stand?
Visit Mrunal.org/Polity for entire Archive of Polity articles published so far.