- House sparrow Population decline
- Long billed Vultures
- Lake Kolleru & its bird sanctuary
- 15 Indian birds globally endangered
- Amur Falcon
- Nicobar scrubfowl/Megapod
- Narcondam Hornbill
- Mock Questions
- House sparrows found around the world, except in the Polar Regions.
- IUCN status: Least concern
- March 20 – World Sparrow Day. (from 2010 onwards)
- Declared state bird of Delhi.
- Have a symbiotic relationship with humans for the past 10,000 years. Hence their disappearance hints rapid degradation of environment.
|Less food for sparrows|
|Sparrows can’t make nests.|
|Sparrows mistake them for real trees- crash while flying.|
|Negative impact on bird life cycle.|
- Sparrows are resilient, they migrate to safer zones, feed at public granaries, market places, ports and rail stations, nest at nearby sites and adapt to stabilize their population.
- But gradually, all such places are becoming unsuitable for the sparrows.
- IUCN status: Critically Endangered
- Where? only in Nilgiri hills [North-Eastern slops]
- other vulture species in Nilgiris=White-backed vulture, King vulture and Egyptian vulture
- Threat: anti-inflammatory drug (Diclofenac) used in cattle. When vultures eat such dead cattle, it causes renal (kidney) failure in the vulture => death.
- Solution? = educate farmers to use another drug called Meloxicam
|STATE||OFFICIAL STATE BIRD|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Black Necked Crane|
|Maharashtra||Yellow Footed Green Pigeon.|
Why in news? Migratory Pelican birds arrived in Kolleru bird sanctuary. [IUCN status: Least concern].
- Location: Lake Kolleru in Andhra Pradesh.
- it’s a fresh water lake
- It’s a Ramsar wetland site
- located near coast but not a lagoon
- Enclosed between mouths of Godavari & Krishna Rivers.
- gets water from Bedameru and Tammileru streams (they get water from Krishna & Godavari)
- Many islands on this lake.
- Pallava era copper plates found from the lake.
Threats to Lake Kolleru?
- Industrial waste and fertilizers polluting the lake. They promote growth of weed and hyacinth*. Not good for fishes.
- Farmers setup artificial saline ponds for hatching fish and prawn. This saline water pollutes ground water.
- Borewells in the nearby farms = water table down = salt water intrusion
Topic in news because Hindu ran a story and UPSC has a nasty habit of asking MCQs related to Endangeredness of xyz bird/animal.
- A Migratory bird from Russia.
- Every year, in October, they arrive in northeast India from Siberia en route to their final destination — Africa.
- During their flight, they stop the jungles of Nagaland for a while, for food and rest.
- Why in News? Because some environment activists found that 120,000 to 140,000 birds are being slaughtered in Nagaland every year during their passage through the state, and sold for their meat @local markets.
- They’ve requested Environment Ministry to take action.
- India, is a signatory to the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS), therefore it is Government’s responsibility to provide safe passage to all migratory birds, turtles etc.
- A bird, only found in Nicobar island.
- Why in news? Because Navy wanted to setup a missile testing site at Tillanchong Sanctuary in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Environment Ministry rejected it, missile testing project would destroy the habitat of this bird.
- This Bird is also called Nicobar megapode —because of its large legs.
- This bird is considered sacred by the Nicobarese people, was hit badly by the Indian Ocean tsunami that destroyed vast swathes of its habitat and nesting grounds.
- Navy Chief said, “We know that Environment ministry has its reservations. But the fact is we cannot do without our firing range”
- Narcondam is an extremely remote, tiny island in the Andaman and Nicobar Island group, and is home to about 300 Narcondam hornbills, a species that is found nowhere else in the world.
- Why in news? Because The Coast Guard wanted to set up a surveillance radar here, but environment ministry rejected the proposal.
Q. Kolleru bird sanctuary is enclosed between the mouths of ____ and ____ Rivers.
- Godavari, Pennar
- Krishna, Pennar
- Godavari, Krishna,
- Pennar, Polvaram
Q. Which of the following measures will help in biodiversity preservation of Lake Kolleru?
- introduction of aquatic plant species called Hyacinth, in this wetland habitat
- Providing subsidy to the fisherman in surrounding villages to create artificial ponds for prawn hatching.
- Requesting UNFCC Secretariat to grant “Ramsar Wetland site” Status to Lake Kolleru.
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- None of them
Q. Which of the following statements are correct?
- Amur falcon is a bird species native to North East India.
- Nicobar Megapod is a critically endangered insect under IUCN.
Q2. Narcondam Hornbill Is found in…
- Wheeler’s island, Orissa
- Salim Ali National Park, Kashmir
- Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Goa
- Andamand Nicobar islands.
- Write a short note on the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS). 10marks
- With respect to, the tussle between Navy/Coast Guards vs. Environment Ministry, What is more important: National security or conservation of an endangered species? And why?
- What do you know about Migratory Species? Do you know names of any sites your state/district, that are frequented by migratory species?
- There are reports of large scale poaching of Migratory birds in your area. This is the only source of livelihood for many villagers and favorite dish among urban class. Forest officers are reluctant to detain anyone, fearing possible protests and unrest in the villages. As the District collector what steps will you take?