- P1: RPA Section 126-A and 130: Modi’s Selfi
- P2: Indelible ink: Principle
- P3: Booth Officer
- P4: Benefits of registered political party
- P5: Election Deposit Lost
Topic important because
- after voting in Ahmedabad, Narendra Modi gave a press conference while brandishing his election symbol. He even took a selfi on his mobile phone and published it twitter. For this act, Modi was booked RPA.
- Therefore, topic becomes important for UPSC General Studies Mains paper II syllabus: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act (RPA)
|Section 126||Section 130|
|48 hours before conclusion of polls, No person can
||Prohibits following activities near polling booth (100 meters distance)
|Non-cognizable offence –i.e. Police cannot arrest without court permission||Cognizable offence- police can arrest without court permission|
|2 years or fine or both||only fine upto Rs.250|
|Modi was booked under this section||Congress demanded that Modi be booked under this section as well and immediately arrested.|
- After this incident, Ahmedabad Crime branch investigated and sent a report to EC.
- IndiaTV(!) said crime branch gave clean chit to Modi because press conference happened 100m outside the polling area hence no violation done. Police yet to file any chargesheet.
http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=comprare-viagra-generico-100-mg-a-Venezia Sample Question: Under representation of people’s act
- Canvassing near the polling booth is a non-cognizable offense.
- No person can publicize election matter through TV, radio etc. 72 hours before the conclusion of polls.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Mains (GS2) Question: List the salient features of Section 126 and 130 of the Representation of People’s act 1951. 200 words.
- Indelible= cannot be removed.
- Chemical: silver nitrate. 5 ml vial can mark 350 voters.
- Silver nitrate is colorless soluble salt.
- When it is put on skin, Silver nitrate reacts with the salt present on skin
- Forms silver chloride. (a metallic salt)
- in the meantime, solvent alcohol evaporates in air.
- Silver chloride is not soluble in water, and clings to your skin.
- It cannot be washed off with soap, water, alchol, nail polish removal etc.
- You must wait for few weeks until dead skin cells fall off.
go site Production?
- Factory: Mysore Paint and Warnish ltd. (public sector company). only supplier.
- Where? left forefinger of voter => any other finger of left hand=> right forefinger=> right hand any other finger
- if no fingers=> left arm or right arm.
- Apart from India- Philippines, Indonesia, Mali etc also use it.
- Chemical used: silver nitrate
- which stains the skin on exposure to ultraviolet light, leaving a mark that is impossible to wash off – removed only as external skin cells are replaced
- It may also contain a solvent such as alcohol to allow for faster drying, especially when used with dipping bottles,
- It may also contain a biocide to ensure bacteria aren’t transferred from voter to voter.
- In India, ink dries up in 60 seconds and remain for few months
- He is the Representative of Election Commission at the Grass-Root Level.
- Appointed as per provisions of Representation of People Act, 1950.
- From amongst the officers of the Govt. /Semi Govt. /Local Bodies.
- He is the custodian of EVM @ polling booth.
- Responsible for distributing voter identification slips to people. (Previously work done by political parties=complaints.)
- Helps citizen get voter cards.
- Keeps electoral rolls updated- removes duplicate entries.
- can accept donations (but government company cannot give election fund)
- gets first preference to pick symbol (Independent candidate cannot)
- Need only one proposer while filling nomination form
- Gets one copy of electoral rolls free. (in general election)
- Gets two copies of electoral rolls free (when rolls are revised)
- Can broadcast/telecast facilities over Akashvani/Doordarshan during general elections.
- Can nominate “Star Campaigners” during General Elections.
acquistare viagra generico 25 mg pagamento online a Venezia Star Campaigners
Travel expenses of star campaigners are not to be accounted for in the election expense accounts of candidates of their party.
|party||National / state||Un-recognized party|
|Can have how many star campaigners?||40||20|
go site Eligibility conditions
Meet any one of the following conditions:
|State party||National Party|
|3% seats in leg. Assembly, (minimum 3)||Minimum 2% seats in Lok Sabha (11)From atleast three different states|
|Won 1 LS seat for every 25 LS seats in the state||6% votes in four states (+4 seats in Lok Sabha)|
|Polled minimum 8% votes during (national/state) election||Enjoys state party status in 4 states or more.|
|Got 6% votes (+ 1 Lok Sabha OR two leg.assembly seats)|
Must fullfill these conditions for all subsequent Lokshabha or State elections. Else, they lose their status.
|http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=buy-original-viagra-online-uk National Parties||prednisone online no prescription fed x 6|
|http://buy-generic-clomid.com State Parties||47|
|Total Registered Parties||1616|
|Category||Deposit Amt (Rs.)|
If the candidate fails to get a minimum of one-sixth of the total valid votes polled=> deposit taken away, sent to treasury.
Q1. Correct statements about Voter verifiable paper audit trail (VVPAT)
- It generates paper slip containing serial number and individual votes-directly at State Election Commission’s headquarter for the purpose of cross-verification.
- First successful trial was done during last assembly elections in New Delhi
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q2. Name of the chemical compound used in Indelible Ink Marker Pens during Elections and Pulse-Polio Campaigns.
- Lead Acetate
- Silver Nitrate
- Chromium Sulphate
- Zink Bromide
Q3. Why is Silver nitrate used in Indelible ink?
- it directly penetrates inside skin pores
- When it comes in contact of skin, it forms a metallic salt that cannot be washed off.
- It forms an insoluble dye when exposed to air and Sunlight.
- None of Above.
Q4. Incorrect statements about Star campaigners in an election?
- Only national parties such as Congress and BJP, can nominated star campaigners.
- Travel expenses of star campaigners are not to be accounted for in the election expense accounts of candidates of their party.
- All Star campaigners are eligible to get minimum “Y” category security cover.
- only 1 and 2
- only 2 and 3
- only 1 and 3
- None of them
Visit Mrunal.org/Polity for entire Archive of Polity articles published so far.