In this page, we look at two noted revolutionaries who fought for India’s struggle for independence.
- full name: Ramchandra Pandurang Tope
- 1814: Born near Nasik, in a Brahmin family. So, http://smarttransom.com/?x=canadian-drug-pharmacy-viagra&5ea=72 2014 marks his 200th birth anniversary therefore Tatya Tope automatically most important for UPSC!
http://parilokmontessori.com/?x=where-to-get-pfizer-viagra-best-price (GS1) Discuss in brief, the Role of Tatya Tope in India’s struggle for independence. (100 words)
- Last Peshwa Bajirao II=> his adopted son Nana Saheb. Nana Saheb had two trusted generals: Tatya Tope and Azimulla.
- During the 1857 mutiny, Nana Saheb and Tatya liberated Kanpur from the British
- Later, Nana Saheb sent Tatya Tope with 20,000 men to aid Jhansi queen Laxmibai
- Tatya and Laxmibai together captured Gwalior but they could not save Jhansi from Sir Hugh Rose.
- Tatya was an expert in guerrilla warfare. He led attacks in Rajputana, Malwa, Panchmahal and Banswara districts.
- In Panchmahal he aimed to organize the Bhils against the British.
(95 words). After this…two versions about Tatya’s death:
|Madhya Pradesh state school textbook||
|Tatya’s descendent Parag Tope’s book “Operation Red Lotus”||
Version #2: Tatya was hanged
- 1859, April: Tatya’s own comrade ManSingh informed the British about his hideout. Tatya was arrested and hanged.
- May 2014: MP Governor Ram Naresh Yadav says Version#2 is right i.e. Tatya was hanged.
- Governor Yadav aims to publish a book “Tatya Tope: Ek Swatantrata Sangram Senani”, to correct the error in MP school textbooks.
PS: Tamilnadu class11 textbook also agrees with Governor Yadav. Page 107, Tatya hanged for Kanpur massacre.
|http://thefoolishobsession.com/page/2/ 1907, Sept||Born. Studied in Dayanand Anglo Vedic High School of Arya Samaj.|
|Buy Clomid 100 mg 1919||Visited the Jaliawalla massacre site|
|1923||Joined National college, Lahore|
|1924||Runs away from home to avoid marriage|
|1924, Oct||HRA founded. Later renamed to HSRA Hindustan republican association. Founding members: Bismil, Jogesh Chandra and Sachin Sanyal.|
|1925||HRA/HSRA members loot cash of British Railways in Kakori, UP. Bismil, Ashfaqullah, Rajendra Lahiri and Roshan Singh were hanged for this.|
|1928, Sept||HSRA recruits new members, including Bhagat Singh.|
|1928, Oct-Nov||Lahore SP Scott orders brutal lathicharge on Lala Lajpat Rai during protests against Simon commission. HSRA decides to avenge his death.|
|1929, April||Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt threw bomb in the Central assembly, Delhi to protest against|
- Public safety bill: Mainly to stop Communist movement in India by cutting it off from British & foreign communist organizations.
- Trade dispute bill: jail and fine for striking workers and trade unions.
- After bombing, they voluntarily surrendered.
- (As per Britannica, He bombed to protest against Defense of India Act.)
- Bhagat had met Batukeshwar while working in Hindi daily “Pratap” in Kanpur
- For this bombing, they got life sentence. (Bhagat hanged for Saunders).
- Bhagat Singh wrote a pamphel “Why am I an Atheist” while in jail.
- From Bhagat singh’s letters and writings, we can see he was influenced by Karl Marx, Mazzini, Garibaldi, Tolstoy, Rousseau, Voltaire and Gorky.
1931, FebruaryGandhi-Irwin Pact (Delhi Pact). Lord Irwin rejected Gandhi’s demand of commuting Bhagat Singh’s death penalty to life sentence. Chandrasekhar Azad killed in a police encounter in Allahabad, Alfred park.1931, March 23Hanged along with Rajguru & Sukhdev, at Shadman Chawk, Lahore. for the Lahore Conspiracy case i.e. Murder of Saunders.
Yes, but Why in news?
- May 2014: A Lahore lawyer found out the original FIR from Anarkali Police station.
- The original FIR doesn’t mention the names of any individual. But it only describes the physical looks of the assailants.
- So, it seems British officials would have added the names later.
- Special tribunal had awarded death sentence to Bhagat Singh, without listening to 450 eye witnesses
- Bhagat singh’s lawyers were not given opportunity to cross examine the eye witnesses
- Special tribunal promulgated an ordinance which stopped Bhagat singh from appealing in High Court.
Now this Lahore Lawyer Imtiaz Qureshi, has filled a petition in Highcourt to prove Bhagat Singh’s innocence in this case.
Q1. Correct statements about Bhagat Singh
- He, Batukeshwar Dutt and Azad were the founding members of HRA.
- He and Rajguru had surrendered after throwing bomb in Central assembly building.
- He threw bomb in Central Assembly building to protest against Rowlett Act and Simon Commission.
- None of above
Q2. Bhagat Singh had bombed Central assembly building to protest against Public safety bill and trade dispute bill. What was the purpose of public safety bill?
- It aimed to curtail the sale of chemicals that could be used in making explosives and firearms.
- It aimed to curtail the Nationalist movement in India by empowering British police with powers akin to those under Rowlett Act.
- It aimed to curtail the communist activity in India by cutting it off from foreign organizations.
- None of above.
Q3. What did Tatya Tope do in 1857 mutiny?
- With Laxmibai, he captured Gwalior.
- With Begum Hazrat Mahal, he liberated Kanpur from British
- Tried to organize Bhils of Panchamahal region against the British
- only 1 and 2
- only 1 and 3
- only 2 and 3
- All of them
Mains and Interview
- (GSM1) Discuss the role of Bhagat Singh in freedom struggle of India. Why is there a view he was hanged for a false case? (200 words)
- (GSM1) Discuss in brief, the role of Tatya Tope in India’s first struggle for independence. (100 words)
- D none
- C for communist
- b only 1 and 3