viagra super active 100 mg What is the Relevance of this issue with UPSC Mains exam?
- (GS2): Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- (GS2): transparency and accountability
- (GS4): challenges of corruption
Timeline / Sequence of events
http://virgin-yachts.com/?search=stopping-prednisone-at-10-mg December 2013: Lokpal and Lokayukta act passed. Lokpal will consist of
- one chairman
- Four judicial members
- Four non-judicial members
buying generic canadian cialis 2014, January 1: President gave assent to this bill.
buy viagra online cheap 2014, May week1: NGO-petition against Lokpal selection rules (Rule 10) in SC.
Problem with Existing Provisions (Rule 10)
Lokpal “recruitment” involves two Committees
|They’ll shortlist the eligible candidates for selection as Lokpal chairman and members.
||Will decide the final names.
|Search Committee will have 1 chairman + 7 members from following professional categories (total 8 people)
||total five people
- representatives of the law enforcement agencies
- judicial officers
- legal professionals
- eminent persons in public life
- Prime minister
- Speaker, Lok Sabha
- Leader of Opposition, Lok Sabha
- Chief Justice of India CJI OR a judge nominated by him
- One Eminent Jurist.
|at least 50% members of search Committee will be SC, ST, OBC, minorities and women.
||no such reservation
- As per the rules, search Committee can to shortlist candidates only from the list given by Central government!
- so there is no freedom in searching!
- only those who’re in the ‘good books’ of ruling party, they’ll get shortlisted.
- When Lokpal is selected among such candidates, he is less likely to be impartial and strict while dealing against political corruption.
- Thus, entire process is illegal, arbitrary and against Article 14 of the constitution
|Selection Committee has two options
- We can Select toppers(!) among the shortlisted candidates by search Committee.
- we can even select people not shortlisted by the search Committee.
- dosage lasix Justice KT Thomas: quits the Search Committee post because selection Committee can pick even outsiders also. then what’s the point of shortlisting?
- price of levitra in india Legal expert Fali Nariman: declined to join as member of search Committee for all these stupid rules
- Govt. chose a practicing lawyer (PP Rao) as an eminent jurist.
- Now, four sitting judges of supreme court are in race for to be chosen as Lokpal.
- So, there would be conflict of interest when a practicing lawyer has to select a sitting judge of Supreme Court.
- No transparency. At least names of eligible candidates should be put on website one week before final selection.
- Government even reduced “Work-experience” criteria for shortlisting candidates.
Outcome of NGO petition?
|Supreme court observed
||(UPA) government replied
|Selection process is made in such way that it’ll undermine the independence and autonomy of the Lokpal.
- we’ll re-examine the section rules
- in the meantime, We’ll not appoint any lokpal chairman or member (this will be done after new government is elected i.e. Modi).
http://history4girls.com/?search=levitra-super-active-online June 15, 2014: Modi government began reforming search/selection rules of UPA government. Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) working on this.
click Q3. Correct statements about Lokpal
- It’s 9 person’s body. Four of which, have to be judicial members and among them one must be an eminent jurist.
- Eminent jurist in the Lokpal selection panel is nominated by CJI.
- Law Secretary acts as the convenor cum member Secretary of the Lokpal search Committee.
- only 1 and 2
- only 2 and 3
- only 1 and 3
- none of them
Interview Question: What is the present mechanism for selection of Lokpal? Why did Supreme Court find deficiencies in it?