- Prologue to six part Article series
- How much sports you need to prepare?
- Sport Mascots
- Individual games
- National sports development code
- Unfortunate incidents
- Misc. sports
Total six parts covering December 2013 to 8th June 2014- nearly six months that is the usual time span for current affairs most non-UPSC competitive exams of India.
- [PIN-2014] Part 1/6: National- Official Posts, Committees, Stamps-2014, Defense, Telengana & more
- [PIN-2014] Part 2/6: International- Presidents, Prime ministers, Summits, bodies & Ukraine Crisis
- [PIN-2014] Part 3/6: Sports, Mascots, Athletes, Awards, FIFA-2014, Sochi-2014, Grand Slams, Hockey, Kabbadi, Cricket & more
- [PIN-2014] Part 4/6: Economic Regulators, Banking Sector CMDs, RBI monetary policy, RBI Committees, Business GK CEOs
- [PIN-2014] Part 5/6: Books, Authors, Movies awards & Beauty Pageants
- [PIN-2014] Part 6/6: Diaspora, Civilian awards & Dead in News, Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas, Padma 2014, Able Prize & more
That depends on the level of exam. Observe the difference
|Bank, SSC, Insurance, StatePSC exam||CDS or CAPF (by UPSC)|
|Q. Who won French Open 2014?
||Q. Which of the following statement is / are correct about French open?
|ans 1||ans 4|
- A weak husband always shows “mardaangi” by beating up his wife. Same way, examiners harass competitive aspirants by asking Non-cricket questions. As if it is our fault that Indian junta doesn’t watch/respect non-cricket athletes! And as if an aspirant has (unwillingly) mugged up such list, he is a bigger patriot and better officer than cricket fans!
- Nonetheless, if you want the job, you’ve to study. Most candidates avoid / downplay the sport topic thinking this is boring, cost: benefit is bad.
- But if you prepare sports segment in a systematic manner, it is possible to tick atleast 1 MCQ in most (non-CSAT) exams without requiring much effort.
Just focus on the sport section in the monthly competitive magazines, and within that focus mainly on four areas:
- Who defeated whom in the final match?
- Current venue, and next venue
- Major Awards
Back in the 90s and upto mid-2000s, they even used to ask ‘theory’ question eg. which terms are associated with following game. although you can find such info in Lucent’s General knowledge book, but nowadays such sport-theory MCQs are not seen in most exams. so you may skip it.
|viagra atlanta drug Game||mascot||venue|
|generic pfizer viagra from online drugstore FIFA 2014||Fuleco, the Armadillo||Brazil|
|amlodipine besylate side effects viagra drug Rabobank Hockey World cup||Storkey the Stork||Netherlands|
|http://growingsolutions.com/?search=adenosine-drug-contraindications-with-viagra&639=85 Winter Olympics 2014||Polar bear, Snow leopard and snow hare||Sochi, Russia|
|http://sparkyourvitality.com/?search=buy-discount-viagra-online&5fb=75 Common wealth games 2014||Clyde, a thistle man||Glasgow, Scotland|
|buying real viagra internet Asian games 2014||Light, Wind and Dance (Vichuon, Barame and Chumuro)||Incheon, S.Korea|
- will be held in July August
- Glasgow, Scotland
- follow link Mascot: Clyde, a thistle man (thistle=one type of flowering plant)
- go Motto: People, Place, Passion.
- Boxing: Mary Kom will not participate in this game because Pinki Jangra defeated her in selection match.
- Raj Singh (Dronacharya winner) will be Chef De Mission for CWG 2014
- Ravinder Singh Khaira- will participate in javelin throw.
- Incheon, South Korea
- Theme “Diversity shines here”
- 22nd winter Olympics + 11th Winter Paralympics.
- http://redbarnstudios.net/?search=viagra-vs-levitra-drug&a37=6d Slogan– Hot cool yours.
- brain viagra drug Venue: Sochi resort, Russia, near black sea coast.
- http://buy-generic-clomid.com/clomid_warnings_precautions.html Mascots– Polar bear, Snow leopard and snow hare
- maximum gold medals: Russia> Norway> Canada
- Highest total medals: Russia > US > Norway
- Next Winter Olympic 2018: PyeongChang, South Korea. Motto New horizons.
India competed in three events but (As you can guess correctly) we won nothing:
|Winter Olympic event||Indian athlete who failed|
- 2020 (summer) Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan. Motto: Discover Tomorrow. and Wrestling is included.
- 2012 London Olympic topic is beyond expiry date but nonetheless we must remember the Indian winners
|Gagan Narang||Bronze. 10 air-rifle|
|Mary Kom||Bronze. Women flywt. Boxing|
|Saina Nehwal||Bronze. Single badminton|
|Sushil Kumar||Silver Wrestle 66kg. He was flag-bearer. He got bronze in 2008 Beijing.|
|Vijay Kumar||Silver. 25 rapid fire pistol. Rajiv G.Khel ratna|
|Yogeshwar Dutt||Bronze. 60kg wrestle. Rajiv G.Khel ratna.|
Indian Olympic Association
- Chairman N Ramachandran
- Secretary General Rajeev Mehta.
- 2019 Asian games Vietnam declined to host. Hence India interested to host this event
- National games are held once in every two years.
- 2009: 35th National games were to be held @Kerala
- but postponed because Kerala yet to finish building stadiums.
- In this context, SAI suggested two things to India Olympic Association
- scrap the national games altogether OR
- Hold this 35th tournament @SAI centers.
anyways, finally its decided to
- Highest Grand Slams: Roger Federer (17); Nadal (14); Sampras (14); Paes: 8 doubles, 14 overall.
- Babolat Racquet: it has microchip & sensors to record player’s wrist movement. Nadal uses this hi-fi racquet to analyse his performance after match.
2014 Grand Slams
in chronological order:
|Australian||Man: Stanislas Wawrinka (Swiz)||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|Woman: Li Na (China)||some Slovakian girl, not important|
|French (Red clay)||
||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)|
|Maria Sharapova (Rus) fifth slam.||some Romanian girl, not important|
|Wimbledon (UK)||Yet to be held (23 June). prize increased to 25 million pounds||2013’s winner/losers not important. Non-UPSC exams don’t drag current affairs that far.|
|US||Yet to be held (26 Aug.)||same as above.|
Vijay Amritraj: Davis Cup commitment award.
Misc. Tennis Championships:
|Dubai Open||Federer||some chillar party, not important.Important: Mahesh / Sania was 2013’s record. They won nothing in Dubai Open 2014.|
|male Doubles: Rohan Bopanna + Aisam Qureshi (Paki)|
|Monte Carlo||Wawrinka, Swiz||Federer, Swiz|
|Chennai Open 2014||Wawrinka, Swiz||some guy from France not important|
|Qatar Open 2014||Nadal||not important|
|Shenzhen Open||Li Na, China||not important|
|Madrid Masters||Nadal||Nishikori stopped playing because his back injury.|
11 players each side. Yellow card = warning; Red card = Player dismissed.
|Year||Place||Mascot||Official Football||Official Song|
|2010||S.Africa||Spain had defeated Netherlands in South Africa. other details not important.|
|2014||Brazil (June-July)||Fuleco, the Armadillo||Brazuca||We Are One (Ole Ola)|
|2018||Russia||yet to decide|
|2022||Qatar||allegations that Qatar paid bribes to win this nomination|
- Fifa 2014: Total 32 nations participating, 12 stadiums (India not included)
- Will use Goal line technology to determine ball had passed through goal line or not. Hawkeye Camera takes 500 pictures per second. Computer processes this data and if goal is made, message on Referee’s watch. German company “Goalcontrol” provides this service. (Hawk eye is separate company, photo below is only for showing concept).
|Bhaichung Bhutiya||Contested Lok Shabha election from Trniamool ticket in Darjeeling but defeated.|
|Duran Cup||India’s oldest football tournament. Will be held in September 2014, Delhi. Last year’s champion not important.|
|Federation cup||Churchill brothers defeated Club de Goa, in Kochi.|
|Golden Boot||2012: Lionel Messi (Barcelona); 2013: Ronaldo and Suarez have combinedly won. 2014= somewhere in Nov/December.|
|Santosh trophy 2014||Mizoram defeated railways. First victory by Mizoram. Santosh trophy named after king of Santosh region in Bangladesh.|
|Shilton Paul||Captain of Mohan Bagan team|
|Sunil Chhetri||AIFF player of 2013.|
- by International Hockey Federation
- To make the game more interesting and attract young audience.
|before reform||after reform|
|2 x 35 minutes||4 x 15 minutes|
|total 70 minutes||total 60 minutes|
- 40-second break after every penalty corner and a goal
- Will be applicable to Champions trophy, world league, 2016 Rio Olympics and all other major tournaments.
|Hero hockey world cup league||Netherlands defeated NZ in New Delhi.|
|Azlan Shah Cup 2014||Australia defeated Malaysia in Malaysia|
|Hockey India League second edition||Delhi defeated Punjab at Ranchi stadium. Jan 2014|
|Hockey world cup 2014||
|Indian female team||Captain Ritu Rani (for Malaysia tour)|
|Junior Hockey world cup||Germany defeated France in Delhi Dec 2013.|
|Sportcode||Software used to analyses performance of Indian hockey players.|
ICC T20 world cup 2014
- theme song Char Chokka Hoi Hoi
- Venue Bangladesh
- March-April 2014
|Men’s||Sri Lanka Captain Dinesh Chandimal (later injured so Lasit Malinga became captain).||India Captain Dhoni (coach Duncan Fletcher)|
|Women’s||Aus. captain Meg Lanning||England captain Charlotte Edwards|
ICC T20 Man of the series award
|Male||Virat Kohli, India. (and Man of the match was Sangakara)|
|Female||Anya Shrubsole, England|
For this ICC-T20 series, Indian Women’s team captain was Mithali Raj (and not Joolan Goswami)
Anyways, let’s move on:
|Ashes||Jan 2014: Australia defeated England in Australia|
|Asia Cup 2014||Srilanka defeated Pakistan. Held at Bangladesh|
|Brijesh Patel||director of national cricket academy .|
|century||Fastest century in Oneday=Corey Anderson, NZ (just 36 balls)|
|Col.CK Naidu lifetime achievement||Kapil Dev. Award by BCCI|
|ICC||chairman N Srinivasan. HQ: Dubai|
|ICC 2013 award||For records made up to August 2013 .Australian Cpt.Michael Clerk both Player of the year and Test cricketer of the year. Cheteswar Pujara: Emerging player. Sangakara ODI player.|
|ICC 2014 awards||Yet to come.|
|ICC under 19||Africa defeated Pakistan|
|IPL -7 (2014)||Held at UAE and India. Kolkata defeated Punjab.|
|Irani Cup||Karnataka Defeated Rest of India.|
|Justice Mudgal panel||IPL spot fixing. now Saurav Ganguly also joined the panel.|
|Kathy Cross||first lady umpire to be named in ICC umpires panel.|
|MAdav Mantri||India’s oldest cricketer at 92. Died in May 2013. (maternal uncle of Sunil Gavaskar)|
|Ranji 2014||Karnataka defeated Maharashtra at Hyderabad.|
|Under Asia 19 cricket cup||India defeated Pakistan|
|Vijay Hazare 2014||Karnataka defeated railways. At kolkata.|
|World Cup 2015||
|German Open||Arvind Bhat, First Indian to win. Earlier gopichand only reached upto finals.|
|Indian Badminton League||
|Malaysian Grand prix||
|Thomas Cup 2014 (men only)||
|Uber Cup Badminton||Held in Delhi. China won against Japan.|
|Joshna chinappa (Tamil)||
|Saurav Ghosal||won Dato Alex Lee award for best Asian player 2013|
|Kabbadi league||Players from Iran, Bangla, Japan, S.Korea, UK and India.Highest price: Rakesh Kumar. Patna Franchise bought him for 12.8 lakh rupees.|
|Kabbadi World cup 2013||India defeated Pakistan in Ludhiana. Dec 2013|
|Asian Championship 2014, Kuwait||Hina Siddhu won gold in Air pistol. womenChain Singh won gold in Air Rifle. men|
|ISSF world cup, Tucson USA||Manavjeet Sandhu won gold|
|FIDE World Chess Championship||Norway’s Magnus Carlsen defeated Vishwanath Anand in Chennai. Nov 2013|
|Candidates chess title,||Anand won. held in Russia 2014.|
|Kolkata open chess title||Oliver Barbossa|
|Zurich Chess challenge||Magnus carlsen|
- Saurav Kothari: national championship
- Pankaj Advani has failed to win any major game in 2013-14 so far. उसके सितारे भी गर्दिश में है.
- Chitra Magimairaj won World women’s snooker
- Geet Sethi: 6 time world champion billiards player from Gujarat. Retired and runs NGO “Olympic Gold quest” to help Indian athletes along with Prakash Padukone.
- Sebatsian Vettel (German, race car driver)
- Missy Franklin (USA, swimmer)
- spirit of the sport: Afghan criket team
- come back: Nadal
- many other categories ignore for bad cost : benefit.
Many, but only listing important
- PV Sandhu: Badminton
- Gagan Jeet Bhullar: golf
- Joshna Chinnapa: Squash
- Amit Saroha: Para-athletics
- Anjum Saba: hockey
|Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna||Trap Shooter Ronjon Sodhi.|
|Dronacharya 2013||for coaches. cost : benefit bad hence not listing name- except one “Raj Singh” (wrestling coach) will be chef de mission for CWG 2014, Glasgow.|
Delhi High court upheld this code while IOA was opposing it. (It diluted the autonomy of IOA)
- Sports bodies will come under RTI.
- more regulation and transparency .President of any NSF can hold office for a max period of 12 years (3 terms of 4 years).
- Secretary / treasurer for max of 2 successive terms of 4 years(min cooling period of 4 years).
|Michel Schumacher||Formula one race driver from Germany. Retired from game but in medical coma after skiing accident (2013)|
|Ian Thorpe||Olympic winner swimmer from Australia. Shoulder infection, may have to cut down the arm (2014)|
|Amy Van Dyken||American Olympic gold medalist swimmer. Paralyzed after a vehicle accident (June 2014).|
- Indian Golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar won Indonesia Open.
- Grand Prix: UK’s Lewis Hamilton won GP in China, Bahrain and Malaysia; Nico Rosber won Canadian prix.
- Renjith Maheshwary- Triple jump athlete. He was declared for Arjuna award but before prize ceremony Govt. Refused him to confer Arjuna award. Supreme court refused to interfere in the matter.
- Mangyogdae: North Korea’s annual marathon. This time opened for entire world to participate.
- Boxing India: got provisional membership in International boxing federation. Vijender Singh and Mary Kom in the panel.
- India’s first cycling championship: Northern Escape’s Manali Khardungla (July 2014)
- National Cycling academy: SAI opened at New Delhi.
- Oscar Pistorius: first disabled athlete to compete in regular Olympics (2012). Arrested for killing girlfriend in South Africa. Ball by ball commentary in newspapers not important.
- Los Angeles Clippers: this is a basketball team (similar to our IPL teams.) but its owner asked his girlfriend not to bring black people in the stadium. Hence racial-controversy, then owner’s wife sells the team to Microsoft ex-CEO Steve Ballmer.
For more current affairs, visit Mrunal.org/Current
Any updates, corrections please do post in the comments but with reference except wikipedia
Inputs from Mr. Chandradeo.