Q. Discuss the significance of RAPS-5 as a nuclear energy milestone in India. (100 words)
|RAPS||Rawatbhatta Atomic Power Station|
|Record||Continuous Operation for 765 days. Proves that India can generate nuke power in safe and reliable manner.|
|Technology||Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor ( Indigenous) by NAPCIL.|
|Supplies Power to||Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh and Uttrakhand.|
|Number of reactors|
|Technology||Voda Voda Energo Reactor (VVER)= water cooled, water moderated energy reactor.|
|Type||light water reactor|
|Sub-Type||Pressurized water reactor|
NPCIL will sell electricity to them at Rs.3.50 per unit. All the unallocated electricity belongs to Union government.
|1969||Tarapur, with US help.|
|2002||Kudankulam construction begins|
|2011||People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) begins protests against Kudankulam project.|
|2013||Attained critical capacity. This is India’s 21st reactor.|
|State rank||Nuke power (MW)|
|each with 880|
Reasons for delay in reaching 1000MW mark:
- So far India used Pressurized Heavy Water reactor technology. But Kudankulam uses Light water reactor technology. So NPCIL engineers had to buy coaching material to learn how to use new technology.
- After Fukushima incident, NPCIL had to build additional safety measures.
- Anti-Kudankulam protests, court cases.
- Anti-nuclear activist G. Sundarrajan filed petition in Supreme court, alleging that Atomic energy regulatory board (AERB) made haste in clearing the Kudankulam plant in Tamilnadu.
- Supreme court permitted construction of Kudankulam plant, but gave strict guidelines for disaster management, environmental protection, nuclear leakage, regular inspection @3 months interval etc.
In 2014, May
- G. Sudar Rajan again went to SC, demanding a committee under Ex-AERB chief A.Gopalakrishnan to supervise the plant.
- But Supreme Court on Thursday rejected the plea to appoint any expert team- AERB, NPCIL sufficient. It is not necessary to appoint SITs and Committees everywhere.
Q. Consider following statements about Kudankulam project
- It uses Voda Voda Energo reactor.
- It runs on light water technology using Viswam software.
- This technology imported from Russia while Uranium imported from Canada
Correct statements are
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- None of them
Q. Which of the following are beneficiary of electricity from Kudankulam project?
- Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra
- Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Telangana
- Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra, Telangana
- Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Puducherry.
Q. Tamilnadu is the __
- First state in India to have operational nuclear powerplants in two places.
- state with highest generation of nuclear energy
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
interview Question: Why is Kudankulam nuclear plant unique than other nuclear plants in India?