- Mind map: India-USA after Modi visit
- Strategic relations
- Economy and Trade
- Space-Science-public health
- Modi @Madison Square
- Modi reform: OIC, PIO, NRI
- Totalization pact with USA
- Why Modi did not pledge troops/jets against ISIS?
- Mock questions
Mind map: India-USA after Modi visit
- Since 2010, Obama said he supports India’s entry to various non-proliferation regimes- Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), the Wassenaar Arrangement and the Australia Group
- But this time he specifically said, India meets the requirements to join MTCR and NSG
- Obama supports India as permanent member in UNSC. (although he keeps saying that since 2010 no solid steps taken.)
- Both Agreed to dismantle terror and criminal networks like LeT, JeM, D-company, Al-Qaeda and Haqqani network. [Observe they specifically listed Dawood’s D-company.]
- Asked Pakis to bring perpetrators of the 26/11/2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai to justice
- Both will monitor citizens coming from conflict zones of Syria and Iraq. (because some of them may be terrorists in disguise).
- Both to work for women empowerment in Afghanistan. Modi cautioned USA not to withdraw troops quickly from Afghanistan else ISIS story will repeat here as well.
- Intelligence sharing against ISIS network.
- Will combat fake-currency, narcotics, cyber-crimes, piracy.
- Defense cooperation Agreement (2008): extended for another 10 years. Now it’ll expire in 2025. This was done after India increased Defense FDI from 26% to 49%
- Will upgrade US-India Malabar naval exercise. (meaning perhaps larger deployments and/or regular participation from more countries.)
- USA to help in India’s planned National Defence University.
- Asked North Korea to denuclearize.
- Trilateral discussion involving US-India-Jap. Foreign ministers.
Did not work out:
- USA invited India to join war against ISIS, but India limited its help upto intelligence sharing.
- Indian cabinet yet to approve 15,000 crore rupee worth US defense deals involving
- Apache attack helicopters
- Chinook heavylift helicopters
- Javelin Anti-tank guided missiles.
Economy and Trade: India-USA
|target= five times||$500 billion (but no deadlines)|
Joint vision statement called “Chalein saath, saath: Forward together we go”- Both will find mutually rewarding ways to collaborate in trade, investment and technology
- Modi met top-US business leaders- assured them stable tax policies and reduced bureaucratic intervention.
- Modi invited US businessmen to invest in India “Make in India”. (more in a separate article later about “Make in India).
- India-US CEO forum will be re-invigorated.
- USA will invest 41 Billion$ in India, in next 3 years.
- Indo US investment initiative- using India’s Finance ministry and USA’s Treasury department. They’ll focus on infrastructure finance and capital market.
- USA will help in 3 smart cities- Allahabad, Ajmer and Vishakhapatnam
- PPP in Advanced manufacturing, starting from Early 2015.
- USA to share best practices in rail Management.
- USA via its New Silk Road and India-Pacific Economic Corridor, will help India get freer flow of commerce and energy with its Asian neighbors.
- India pitched for totalisation pact for NRI contributions to US social security fund. but it could not be signed (more under sidetopic segment)
- Agreed to resolve the stalemate in WTO-Bali summit’s trade facilitation agreement.
- RBI and US Fed reserve will partner in oversight of financial institutions. So future financial crisis can be tackled in effective manner.
Energy and Environment Nuke Energy
- 2008: Nuke dead signed
- 2010: Nuclear liability law in India. Foreign suppliers will have to pay money if nuke-disaster because of defective technology or equipment. As result, American nuke companies like GE and Westinghouse hesitant to invest in India.
- 2014: Modi meet, new “contact group” setup, to solve the issue
|PACE||U.S.-India Partnership to Advance Clean Energy (PACE).|
|PEACE||Promoting Energy Access through Clean Energy (PEACE)|
|UNFCC||Both will work for post-Kyoto agreement at 2015 UNFCC summit @Paris, France.|
- $1 billion to purchase clean energy technology, especially solar.
- US-India climate fellowship program.
- MoU for $1 billion finance for renewable energy exports to India.
- USA will be India’s partner country in Technology Summit in November 2014.
- USAID will assist in Swachh Bharat Abhiyan WASH alliance- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Alliance
- USA will help setting clean water and sewage facility in 500 cities.
Public health, Science, Space
- Ebola: India pledged 12 million USD to fight ebola. Joint training of personnel.
- USA: will help reducing IMR, MMR in India.
- India-US vaccin action Prorgam for dengue, malaria, TB.
- Drug companies wanted Modi to make patent laws friendly to them. But Modi maintained- they should produce cheap-affordable drugs (rather than doing Patent “ever-greening” by slightly changing the composition of original molecules.)
|SWAYAM||Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds- online education program. Will offer post-graduation programs.|
- Global Initiative of Academic Networks in Higher Education. To collaborate between scientists an businessmen.
- Every year, India will invite 1000 American academics to teach in Indian universities.
|Space||NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission, to be launched in 2021. Separate article later.|
- 2015: India introduces visa-on-arrival for U.S. citizens
- Efforts to make United States’ Global Entry Program available to Indian citizens.
Overall: Modi USA visit
- Vowed to destroy LeT, Dawood’s D-company etc.
- Obama Specifically listed MTCR and NSG – where India is eligible to join.
- Defense cooperation agreement extended for 10 years.
- Contact group to finally sort out obstacles in nuke deal.
- Modi’s Meeting with Top 10 Business tycoons and 41 billion dollar investment promise.
- Modi managed to connect with NRI crowd at Madison square. Combined with Reforms in OIC, PIO, visa on arrival- So in future- tourism boost.
- While Obama has repeatedly accepted “India’s rise, economic prosperity, and contribution to regional and global peace,” but it did not lead to an upgraded relationship.
- Two years from now- new President will be elected (perhaps Hilary Clinton or Bobby Jindal) then may be USA will change its mindeset.
- 2010: Obama visits India, says the same things- we welcome you @MTCR, UNSC etc. but no concentrate steps taken.
- Counterview: From American point of view: even after they got us NSG-waiver, their companies haven’t been able to reap benefits because of the nuke liability law. Hence once burned, twice shy of helping India.
- Special 301 report, WTO-TFA agreement issues unresolved.
- Defense purchase deal for helicopters and anti-tank missiles did not materialize.
Modi Address @Madison Square, New York
- Indian diaspora has earned a lot of respect and great identity for INDIA in the world.
- America is the Oldest democratic country and INDIA is the biggest democratic country
- USA has people living from all parts of the world and Indian people migrate to all countries of the world
We got three precious things
|1.Democracy||not just the biggest asset but a hope of 120 million people|
|2.Demographic dividend||65% population under 35 years age. But skill Development necessary|
|3.Demand||world sees India as a big market for manufacturing and consumption.|
- Government alone can’t bring development. People’s participation essential.
- There were Freedom fighters before Gandhi- they all fought and died. But Gandhi turned it into a mass movement- everyone from a sweeper to weaver to doctor felt part of the freedom struggle.
- Same way, we need to turn Development into a mass revolution
- Every citizen should feel that they do their job best-will contribute to the nation.
Events and targets
|2015||PRavasi Bharatiya Diwas @Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|Vision 2020||export nurses, teachers and other skilled personnel from India|
|2019||150th Birth anniversary of Gandhi. we’ll achieve 100% sanitation|
Achievements and initiatives
- ISRO’s Mars mission travelled 650 Million Km at Rs 7/Km.
- “PM Jan Dhan Yogana” we have 4 Crores New accounts, junta deposits ~1500 crore rupees.
- Make in India Program: attract forieng companies to setup low cost production units here, ease of doing business
- mygov.in where junta can give suggestions.
- New committee to strike –off outdated laws.
- Clean INDIA program, Ganga cleaning- because it provides livelihoods to ~40 crore Indians.
Modi reform: OIC, PIO, NRI
Note: Detailed table given in M.Laxmikanth’s Polity book-chapter on citizenship page 6.5 onwards. following, is just an overview:
Refer Laxmikanth for more.
|If you or your parents were Indian citizen once upon a time.||If your parents, grandparents or spouse were Indian citizen once upon a time.|
|Lifelong visa-free travel.||card Valid only for 15 years.|
|No need to register at any office. Doesn’t matter how long you want to stay in India.||If staying beyond 180 days in a single visit, you’ve to register Foreigners Regional Registration or Police station.|
- We’ll combine PIO and OCI. We’ll even cover spouses.
- PIO card-walla won’t have to report to police.
- US citizens can get long term visas to India
- US tourists can get visa on arrival in India
- Online visa and visa-outsourcing to reduce delays.
Totalization pact with USA
- 5 lakh NRIs contribute ~1 billion$ in taxes, to USA’s social security system. (~15% of salary)
- Many of them don’t have full immigrant visa and have to leave USA after 3-7 years.
- But as per US social security norms, if a person doesn’t work for 10 years continuously in USA, his social security contributions are forfeited.
- Since 2007, India trying to solve this issue by signing a totalization pact with USA. We already have such agreements with 17 countries including Australia.
- But Americans don’t agree, saying Indian social security system (administered by EPFO) is not compatible with their hi-fi system.
Why Modi did not pledge troops/jets against ISIS?
Detailed article on ISIS later, this is just a newspaper editorial gist: What is not possible?
- Sending Indian troops in Middle East = not going to happen. Because Iraqi PM said no to foreign troop movement.
- India can providing Fuel and Logistic support to American bomber planes. In 91’s gulf war, PM Chandra Shekhar did this, and was criticized a lot, by the opposition parties.
- But this time, ISIS beheading= everyone is outraged= less chances of criticism or vote bank politics, even if Modi agreed for refueling.
- But, USA doesn’t need India for fuel-logistic support. Other Middle Eastern states already providing that.
What is possible?
- Sharing intelligence and blocking IS attempts to enlist Indian Muslims to join their war.
- 40 countries already agreed for such help to USA. Modi agreed for the same.
Mock questions 200 words each.
- Discuss the roadblocks that prevent the manifestation of “natural alliance” between India and USA.
- Write a note on Indo-US cooperation in the fields of healthcare, energy and space exploration.
- Evaluate the Strategic importance of Prime minister’s visit to USA in 2014.
- India has made a right decide by not sending troops or fighter jets against ISIS. Do you agree? Justify your stand.