- Why Din Dayal Antyodaya Yojana (DAY)?
- S1: Rural Deen Dayal
- S2: URBAN Deen Dayal
- Deen Dayal ties up with NSDC
- NRLM and NULM
- 100 days of HRD ministry under Modi Government
- Mock Questions
- To provide Skill training to poors in cities and villages. Unemployment gone, poverty gone.
- By 2020, developed nations will have shortage of ~57 million workers. Foreign companies will have to outsource work elsewhere.
- Modi wants them to “Make in India”. BUT companies want four things first:
- Ease of doing business- file clearance without suitcase-raj.
- Stable taxation policy.
- Industrial location factors that we saw under Geography.
- Cheap but skilled labour force. (India will have ~47 million new workers by 2020).
- Every year, 12 million Indians join workforce but out of them only 10% are skilled. In EU (70%), China (50%)
- Therefore, success of Make in India, will depend on success of Din Dayal Antyodaya Yojana.
|Why?||Skill training to poors in both cities and villages.|
- Government will setup training centres in rural areas.
- Training syllabus will be descend on international standards, so that rural youth can work in the foreign companies coming to India under Prime minister’s “Make in India” campaign.
- Special attention to physically disabled persons.
|Official name||Deen Dayal Upadhyay Antyodaya Yojana (DAY)|
|Target||Every year, train 5 lakh people|
- Setup City livelihood centres with Rs.10 lakh grant.
- Give training to each urban poor via those centres. Government will spent Rs.15k-18k on training each of them. Yearly target: 5 lakh persons.
- Form Urban Self Help Groups (SHG). Give Bank linkage and Rs.10,000 to each such group.
- Setup Vendor markets, and give skill training to vendors as well.
- Construction of permanent shelters for urban homeless + other essential services.
- Help poors setup enterprises. Give them loan At 7% interest rate.
|Enterprises||Interest Subsidy (Rs.)|
|Individual micro-enterprise||Rs. 2 lakh|
|Group Enterprises||Rs. 10 lakh|
- HUPA signed MoU with NSDC-National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
- NSDC will training to poor, according to market needs, via its training centres.
- NSDC will also help in identification of beneficiaries besides certification of training programmes through Sector Skill Councils (SSCs).
- Sector Skill Councils SSCs: They are industry led bodies. They define Standards and Syllabus for different training program in given industrial sector.
- NSDC will identify beneficiaries and design their training program with help of above SSCs.
- Thus, NSDC-HUPA tie up will help in speedy and result oriented implementation of Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana.
|Original name Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY).||Swarnajayanti Sahari Swarojgar Yojana|
|Later renamed to National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM)||National urban livelihoods mission|
|Finally renamed to Aajeevika.||May be the IAS in HUPA ministry doesn’t want to harass UPSC aspirants, therefore did not device a fancy name parallel to Aajeevika.|
|Rural Development ministry||Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation (HUPA) Ministry|
I think sooner or later, Modi will shut down or subsume these two old schemes into the new Din Dayal scheme.
Economic Survey observation:
- Aajeevika Scheme worked fine for agarbatti, pottery, tailoring and other small business activities.
- But at some places, Government made too much infrastructure investment compared to scope of the given business activity.
Aajeevika: Budget 2014
- Under Aajiveeka, Women-SHG in backward districts get loans at cheaper interest rate.
- Budget 2014 increased the number of backward districts under this scheme.
|Loan interest rate||Before 2014||after|
|4%||In 150 most backward district||+100 more added = 250|
|7%||Remaining districts||interest rate unchanged (7%)|
More districts to get Cheaper SHG-loans. Additionally, Budget 2014 also announced “Start Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme” for rural youth.
Just a quick reference table prepared from this PIB report.
|Beti Bachao Beti Padhao||Department of School Education and Literacy (DSEL), supported the Ministry of Women and Child Development for roll out in 100 districts.|
|UDAAN (CBSE)||to enable backward girls to move to post-school education in Science and Maths.|
|PRAGATI (AICTE)||Providing Assistance for Girls’ Advancement in Technical Education Initiativeone girl per family whose family income < 6 lakhs p.a on merit at the qualifying examination to pursue technical education.|
|Saksham||Scholarships to differently abled students to pursue technical education.|
|Ishan Uday||scholarships to students from North East Region whose parental income is below Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum for college education.|
|Ishān Vikās||Visit/Internship at IIT/NIT/IISER by students of NE region.|
|Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat|
|National E-Library||Digital books to all citizens.|
CSAT MCQs: interchanging facts between Din Dayal vs Ajeevika vs NRUM to design trap statements. For example:
- Din Dayal Antyodaya scheme is meant for subsidized grains to widows and destitute.
- DDUAY falls under Skill Development ministry.
- Under its rural component, Government aims to train 5 lakh persons per year.
- DDUAY will subsume UDAAN scheme for J&K youth.
And so on…Then you’ll be asked to idenify Which of the above statements are correct? Only 1 and 2; only 2 and 3; and so on.
- “Success of Make in India, will depend on success of Din Dayal Antyodaya Yojana.” Elaborate. 200 words.
- Write a note on the salient features of DDUAY Yojana / NRUM / NRLM / those fifty dozen new schemes of HRD under 100 days. (Although I doubt whether UPSC will ask such cheap and easy questions in mains. Except ofcourse under a double-bluff backbreaking moveTM.)