- Leader of Opposition (LoP) in India Parliament
- 10% rule: episodes in past?
- LoP and Appointment Committees
- Arguments: Government vs Opposition
- Mock questions
Leader of Opposition (LoP) in India Parliament
- 1977: The leaders of opposition in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were given statutory recognition.
- They provides constructive criticism of the govt. policies.
- Gets same salaries and allowances that are equivalent to a Cabinet minister – paid by the govt.
- To become leader of opposition, a political party needs atleast 10% strength of the house.
||10% seat means
||Who is the LoP?
||Ghulam Nabi Azad. Because Congress got 67 seats.
||None because Congi 44, AIADMK 37.
- Congress got only 44 seats in Lok Sabha. Even if you count the whole UPA alliance- its 60 members.
- But LoP is given only to party leader and not to alliance leader.
- Therefore, neither congress nor the UPA leader can be declared as the leader of opposition in Lok Sabha.
10% rule: episodes in past?
|1952- 1969 (some newspapers say 1952-77)
||Congress had large majority
||TDP leader was made Leader of opposition, although TDP had 3 seats less than 10% rule.
- Congress citing that TDP-episode to stake claims over LoP seat in 2014.
- Final judge: UPSC Speaker of Lok Sabha.
- She said “No party will get LoP seat this time, because none has won the required 55 seats.”
LoP and Appointment Committees
LoP required in following Committees
- PM + Home minister + leader of opposition in LS
- Although 2003 CVC act says, if no LoP then leader of single largest party can be made part of the Committee.
- But same act also says if vacancy in Committee, still appointment can be done.
- PM + Union minister + Leader of opposition in LS
- RTI Act says “leader of the single largest party in the Lok Sabha”. (Doesn’t make 10% requirement).
- PM+ Home minister + speaker of LS + dept. chair of RS + leader of Opposition of LS + leader of Opposition of RS
- As per Protection of Human rights act 1993.- if vacancy in Committee, still appointment can be done.
- PM + CJI +speaker of LS + leader of opposition in LS + eminent jurist
- Even here, if vacancy in Committee, still appointment can be made as per Lokpal Act 2013.
- CJI +2 SC judges + law minister + 2 eminent jurist
- 2 eminent jurist would be recommended by (PM + CJI + leader of opposition in LS)
Arguments: Government vs Opposition?
- GV Mavalankar,First Lok Sabha speaker- he said main opposition party’s strength must equal the quorum
- Since quorum rule =10% of total membership
- Therefore, LoP must be from party with minimum 10% seats.
- This rule is incorporated in Direction 121(1) in Parliament (facilities) act 1998.
- They’re citing Parliament Act of 1977- Norms regarding the salary allowances of leader of Opposition.
- It says – leader of single largest party in the opposition – would get the LoP post. (So there is no 10% requirement mentioned in it!)
- Earlier even during Congi-raj when they had majority, they did not give LoP seats to <10% walla (Except TDP).
- Since Speaker has given ruling, the matter is closed.
|LoP is necessary to ensure public confidence in candidate selection in the high posts.
here chewing accutane causing pain thraot Side notes: 2nd ARC even said setup a Civil service Board- for transfer posting of top babus. The members of this Committee, will be selected by PM and LoP.
- http://afternooncrumbs.com/?search=buy-canadian-cialis CSAT Prelim: They’ll give a list and ask you to find which members are part of ___ selection Committee. For example- Lokpal selection Committee includes which of the following members…Only 1 and 2, Only 1,3 and 4…. And so on.
- For lower level exams, GK type question- who is the LoP in Rajya Sabha? Who was the first speaker of Lok Sabha?
Clomid Overdosage watch Mains (GS2)
- Discuss the origin of the “10% strength” rule to become Leader of Opposition in Indian Parliament. 100 words.
- Discussion the importance of the Leader of Opposition in Indian polity. 200 words
- “Democratic government demands not only a parliamentary majority but also a parliamentary minority.” Elaborate in 200 words.