- Booker Prize 2014 for Fiction
- Other Books in news
- Disasters in News
- Days in News
- Places in News: 2014-October
- West Bengal
- Other states
- Tribes in News
Booker Prize 2014 for Fiction
- Australia’s Richard Flanagan wins Man Booker prize 2014.
- His novel: The Narrow Road to the Deep North
- His father was a Japanese prisoner of war. He worked on the Thailand-Burma ‘Death’ Railway. Novel’s revolves around similar plot.
- Novel title named after a travelogue of Japanese Haiku poet “Bako”.
- Indian entry to didnot win:The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee .
see url here Controversy in Booker
- Booker has decided to accept entries of American authors as well.
- Hence authors from common wealth nations are angry. Because they can’t compete in America’s Pulitzer prize.
|Khushwant Singh Prize
- For poetry in given year.
- By ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival
- Winner to be announced in January each year.
|Sahitya Akademi Yuva puraskar
- Kaushik Barua “Windhorse” novel about Tibetan armed struggle.
Books, Movies, Artists in news
- IndiPop Singer from Punjab, elder brother of Mika Singh.
- Pakis hacked his website in retaliation of Indian hackers’ attack on Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) website.
- Wrote “Da Vinci Code”, “Angels & Demons”, “The Lost Symbol”, “Inferno”, “Digital Fortress” and “Deception Point”
- Visiting Mumbai hence in news.
||Bollywood movie. Director Vishal Bhardwaj. Actor Shahid Kapoor. an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.”
|Joseph E. Stiglitz
- noted economist
- A New Approach to Growth, Development and Social Progress.
||When Google Met Wikileaks
||KP: The Autobiography. Claimed that in England cricket team, senior players bully in the dressing room. Hence in controversy.
||I Shall Not Hear The Nightingale .
||Kutsa Pakhha [Those Who Slander]. She has targets media and BJP in this book.
|Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
||Playing It My Way — My Autobiography
It will be released on 6th November.
- Latest book: “The Anarchy” about East India company’s history.
- Earlier books: the Mughals, The Last Mughal and Return Of A King. All cover the period of 1790 to 1850.
ordering accutane online reliable Not latest books but in news
|Gajanan Madhav Muktibodh
||50th death anniversary. Hindi poet from Maharashtra. Famous collection: Tar Saptak (Upper Octave)
||My Experiments with Truth
|Kodungallur Kunhikkuttan Thampuran
||150th birth anniversary. He translated Mahabharata from Sanskrit to Malayalam. Earned title ‘Kerala Vyasa’.
- 100th birth anniversary.
- Latin American poet and Nobel winner, birth centenary year.
- Wrote poetry collection “In Light Of India”
|Ram Manohar Lohia
- Wheel of History
- Marx, Gandhi and Socialism
Disasters in News
|Tropical Storm Trudy
||Mexico coast, Southern coast.
||Mexico’s, Pacific coast
- Hudhud / Hoopoe is the national bird of Israel.
- Oman suggested this cyclone name.
- Oct 2014 (7 to 14) Affected: Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, UP, Madhya Pradesh and even Nepal
- Operation Lahar: rescue effort for Cyclone Hudhud. Operation Led by the Indian Navy.
- By the way, Mission Sahayata = relief operation in J&K floods.
- Nilofar- water lily. Paki suggested this name.
- Oct 25-31. Affected Kutch, Saurashtra, North Gujarat and Pakistan.
Days in News
- World mental health day.
- Theme” living with Schizophrenia”
||Ada Lovelace Day to Celebrate women in science, technology and maths.
- World Food day. Because it is the foundation day of Food and agri. Org.of UN (FAO)
- 2014’s theme: Family Farming: “Feeding the world, caring for the earth”
||Police commemoration day
- Sardar Patel’s B’day = National integration day
- Indira Gandhi’s death anniversary.
Places in News
||This retired justice headed commission to probe Saradha chit fund scam. But now W.Bengal Government shut it down.
- located in the southern-most tip of Sunderbans archipelago of West Bengal.
- Where river hooghly meets the sea.
- CM Mamta Benerjee wants to develop it as tourist attraction.
- Blast In West-Bengal in thistown.
- Building owned by a Trinmool leader.
- More than 50 IED recovered. Supplier Jmaat Ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).
- NIA and National security advisor Ajit Dowal visited.
- Delhi zoo will incinerate animal products — elephant tusks, rhino horn, tiger nails and skull, fox and jackal skull, hippopotamus teeth and chinkara horns — worth over Rs.20 lakh.
- Earlier these items were sent to the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun for research.
- But now Dehradun has over-supply. Doesn’t want new stock.
- Delhi zoo could auction these animal items and make truckload of cash. But they’ve decided to incinerate (burn) them, to create awareness.
weed laced with another drug like clomid More news in Delhi
||to revive three water bodies near Qutub minar:
- Rajon ki Baoli
- Gandhak ki Baoli
- Hauz-i-Shamsi or Shamsi talab
||Najib Jung unable to invite any party to form government. Latest Development: BJP said they can’t form Government.
- Riots at trilokpuri.
- Government announced 5 lakh rupees compensation for victims of Anti-Sikh riots in 1984.
- CM wants to increase monthly salary of MLA and MLCs from present 1.2 lakhs to 2 lakhs.
- Adilabad – no tigers left.
- Hyderabad: ‘Alai Balai’ festival for folk artists.
- Hyderabad: Metropolis World Congress
- Jahnavi Sriperambuduru. Class 9 Hyderabadi girl climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
- ‘Vishwa Tuluvere Parba’ (global Tulu festival) at Manglore.
- World’s first speech and hearing museum to come up in Mysore
- Shimoga airport near Banglore. Project yet to begin.
- decided to rename Belgaum as Belagavi.
- KPSC: designed new syllabus on the lines of Hota Committee.
- Halmidi village in Belur taluk: oldest Kannada inscription was found here.
- Maryur silk – from Thiruvananthapuram. Government trying to revive.
- Vadodara /Baroda will be promoted as “Cultural Capital” of Gujarat.
- First offshore wind power project to come up in Gujarat with US help.
- Refused to give NOC for field-trials of Genetically modified GM-crops. (although GEAC Committee has approved).
- Camel is State animal. Hence this year Royal family of Tonk, will not sacrifice camel during Eid-Ul-Zuha.
- Pushkar Town near Ajmar. Cattle fair every year.
- Jaipur will host “Maitri” exhibition for Indian and Chinese artists.
- Patna: Stampeded At Ram Leela. >30 killed.
- Soor Sarovar Bird Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh.
- Keetham Lake supplies water to Agra.
- NGT national green tribunal stopped illegal construction by an Engineering college here.
- Penneshwaramadam temple. Hoysala ruler Veer Ramanatha’s inscription says “the public official looking the other way as much as the doer of corruption.”
- Ex-CM Jaylalitha gets bail from Kanataka jail, in the corruption case.
- Tamil Fishermen arrested in Sri-Lanka for Heroine smuggling case, got death penalty.
Tribes in News
|Kommu Koya tribals
||in Khammam District of Telangana, who consider Sabari of Ramayana period was from their community, celebrate Sabari Smruthi Yatra and perform folk dances
- Tribals from Assam plans.
- has four clans — Dibongia, Borgoyan, Tengaponia and Patorgoyan. While Deoris belonging to Dibongia, the Borgoyan and Tengaponia clans are found in Assam, the Patorgoyan clan was reported to be missing or lost.
- Research now in Myanmar looking for the Patorgoyan tribe.
For other parts visit Mrunal.org/PIN.