- Booker Prize 2014 for Fiction
- Other Books in news
- Disasters in News
- Days in News
- Places in News: 2014-October
- West Bengal
- Other states
- Tribes in News
Booker Prize 2014 for Fiction
- Australia’s Richard Flanagan wins Man Booker prize 2014.
- His novel: The Narrow Road to the Deep North
- His father was a Japanese prisoner of war. He worked on the Thailand-Burma ‘Death’ Railway. Novel’s revolves around similar plot.
- Novel title named after a travelogue of Japanese Haiku poet “Bako”.
- Indian entry to didnot win:The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee .
Controversy in Booker
- Booker has decided to accept entries of American authors as well.
- Hence authors from common wealth nations are angry. Because they can’t compete in America’s Pulitzer prize.
|Khushwant Singh Prize|
- For poetry in given year.
- By ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival
- Winner to be announced in January each year.
|Sahitya Akademi Yuva puraskar|
- Kaushik Barua “Windhorse” novel about Tibetan armed struggle.
Books, Movies, Artists in news
- IndiPop Singer from Punjab, elder brother of Mika Singh.
- Pakis hacked his website in retaliation of Indian hackers’ attack on Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) website.
- Wrote “Da Vinci Code”, “Angels & Demons”, “The Lost Symbol”, “Inferno”, “Digital Fortress” and “Deception Point”
- Visiting Mumbai hence in news.
|Haider||Bollywood movie. Director Vishal Bhardwaj. Actor Shahid Kapoor. an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.”|
|Joseph E. Stiglitz|
- noted economist
- A New Approach to Growth, Development and Social Progress.
|Julian Assange||When Google Met Wikileaks |
|Kelvin Pietersen||KP: The Autobiography. Claimed that in England cricket team, senior players bully in the dressing room. Hence in controversy.|
|Khushwant Singh||I Shall Not Hear The Nightingale .|
|Mamata Banerjee||Kutsa Pakhha [Those Who Slander]. She has targets media and BJP in this book.|
|Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar||Playing It My Way — My Autobiography |
It will be released on 6th November.
- Latest book: “The Anarchy” about East India company’s history.
- Earlier books: the Mughals, The Last Mughal and Return Of A King. All cover the period of 1790 to 1850.
Not latest books but in news
|Gajanan Madhav Muktibodh||50th death anniversary. Hindi poet from Maharashtra. Famous collection: Tar Saptak (Upper Octave)|
|Gandhi||My Experiments with Truth |
|Kodungallur Kunhikkuttan Thampuran||150th birth anniversary. He translated Mahabharata from Sanskrit to Malayalam. Earned title ‘Kerala Vyasa’.|
- 100th birth anniversary.
- Latin American poet and Nobel winner, birth centenary year.
- Wrote poetry collection “In Light Of India”
|Ram Manohar Lohia|
- Wheel of History
- Marx, Gandhi and Socialism
Disasters in News
|Tropical Storm Trudy||Mexico coast, Southern coast.|
|Typhoon Vong-fong||Sothern Japan|
|Hurricane Simon||Mexico’s, Pacific coast|
- Hudhud / Hoopoe is the national bird of Israel.
- Oman suggested this cyclone name.
- Oct 2014 (7 to 14) Affected: Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, UP, Madhya Pradesh and even Nepal
- Operation Lahar: rescue effort for Cyclone Hudhud. Operation Led by the Indian Navy.
- By the way, Mission Sahayata = relief operation in J&K floods.
- Nilofar- water lily. Paki suggested this name.
- Oct 25-31. Affected Kutch, Saurashtra, North Gujarat and Pakistan.
Days in News
|Oct 1||China’s b’day|
|Oct 2||Gandhi’s b’day.|
- World mental health day.
- Theme” living with Schizophrenia”
|Oct 14||Ada Lovelace Day to Celebrate women in science, technology and maths.|
- World Food day. Because it is the foundation day of Food and agri. Org.of UN (FAO)
- 2014’s theme: Family Farming: “Feeding the world, caring for the earth”
|Oct 21||Police commemoration day|
- Sardar Patel’s B’day = National integration day
- Indira Gandhi’s death anniversary.
Places in News
|Shyamal Sen||This retired justice headed commission to probe Saradha chit fund scam. But now W.Bengal Government shut it down.|
- located in the southern-most tip of Sunderbans archipelago of West Bengal.
- Where river hooghly meets the sea.
- CM Mamta Benerjee wants to develop it as tourist attraction.
- Blast In West-Bengal in thistown.
- Building owned by a Trinmool leader.
- More than 50 IED recovered. Supplier Jmaat Ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).
- NIA and National security advisor Ajit Dowal visited.
- Delhi zoo will incinerate animal products — elephant tusks, rhino horn, tiger nails and skull, fox and jackal skull, hippopotamus teeth and chinkara horns — worth over Rs.20 lakh.
- Earlier these items were sent to the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun for research.
- But now Dehradun has over-supply. Doesn’t want new stock.
- Delhi zoo could auction these animal items and make truckload of cash. But they’ve decided to incinerate (burn) them, to create awareness.
More news in Delhi
|ASI||to revive three water bodies near Qutub minar:|
- Rajon ki Baoli
- Gandhak ki Baoli
- Hauz-i-Shamsi or Shamsi talab
|Lt.Gov||Najib Jung unable to invite any party to form government. Latest Development: BJP said they can’t form Government.|
- Riots at trilokpuri.
- Government announced 5 lakh rupees compensation for victims of Anti-Sikh riots in 1984.
- CM wants to increase monthly salary of MLA and MLCs from present 1.2 lakhs to 2 lakhs.
- Adilabad – no tigers left.
- Hyderabad: ‘Alai Balai’ festival for folk artists.
- Hyderabad: Metropolis World Congress
- Jahnavi Sriperambuduru. Class 9 Hyderabadi girl climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
- ‘Vishwa Tuluvere Parba’ (global Tulu festival) at Manglore.
- World’s first speech and hearing museum to come up in Mysore
- Shimoga airport near Banglore. Project yet to begin.
- decided to rename Belgaum as Belagavi.
- KPSC: designed new syllabus on the lines of Hota Committee.
- Halmidi village in Belur taluk: oldest Kannada inscription was found here.
- Maryur silk – from Thiruvananthapuram. Government trying to revive.
- Vadodara /Baroda will be promoted as “Cultural Capital” of Gujarat.
- First offshore wind power project to come up in Gujarat with US help.
- Refused to give NOC for field-trials of Genetically modified GM-crops. (although GEAC Committee has approved).
- Camel is State animal. Hence this year Royal family of Tonk, will not sacrifice camel during Eid-Ul-Zuha.
- Pushkar Town near Ajmar. Cattle fair every year.
- Jaipur will host “Maitri” exhibition for Indian and Chinese artists.
- Patna: Stampeded At Ram Leela. >30 killed.
- Soor Sarovar Bird Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh.
- Keetham Lake supplies water to Agra.
- NGT national green tribunal stopped illegal construction by an Engineering college here.
- Penneshwaramadam temple. Hoysala ruler Veer Ramanatha’s inscription says “the public official looking the other way as much as the doer of corruption.”
- Ex-CM Jaylalitha gets bail from Kanataka jail, in the corruption case.
- Tamil Fishermen arrested in Sri-Lanka for Heroine smuggling case, got death penalty.
Tribes in News
|Kommu Koya tribals||in Khammam District of Telangana, who consider Sabari of Ramayana period was from their community, celebrate Sabari Smruthi Yatra and perform folk dances|
- Tribals from Assam plans.
- has four clans — Dibongia, Borgoyan, Tengaponia and Patorgoyan. While Deoris belonging to Dibongia, the Borgoyan and Tengaponia clans are found in Assam, the Patorgoyan clan was reported to be missing or lost.
- Research now in Myanmar looking for the Patorgoyan tribe.
For other parts visit Mrunal.org/PIN.