- SPIN: Sarkaari People in News
- CIN: Committees in News
- FIN: Foreign in News
- DSPIN: Diaspora in News
- DIN: Dead in news for CDS
Total three parts:
- Persons in News, Committees, Diaspora, You’re here
- Booker-2014, Books-Authors, Disasters & Places in News
- Sports, ASIAN Games 2014, and BusinessGK
Defense and Space compilations separately. Later on.
SPIN: Sarkaari People in News
List not exhaustive, only notable from Oct-2014
|Chief economic advisor||IMF economist Arvind Subramanian|
|CVC||Vigilance Commissioner Rajiv to act as CVC till regular appointment is made.|
- Finmin has 4 secretaries — Economic Affairs, Expenditure, Revenue and Financial Services.
- The senior most among them is called Finance Secretary.
- Rajiv Mehrishi (Rajasthan Cadre IAS) has replaced Arvind Mayaram as Finance Secretary.
- Mayaram sent to Minority affairs.
- Governor Mridula Sinha.
- She is one of the 9 people nominated by Modi for cleanliness campaign.
|Haryana||New CM Manohar lal Khattar (BJP)|
- Was setup on 1st October, 1854. Completed 160 years.
|Maharashtra||New CM Devendra Fadnavis (BJP)|
- Vikas Swarup likely to replace Syed Akbaruddin
- Vikas wrote the book “Q&A”. Oscar winning movie Slumdog millionaire is based on that book.
- Surya Prakash became new Chairman for 3 years.
- Prasar Bharati Chief is selected by a 3 person Committee, including VP+Press council chairman and Secretary in I&B ministry.
CIN: Committees in News
|Prabha Sridevan||To review IPR policy of India. By DIPP, commerce ministry. Yet to give report.|
|Shyamal Sen||This retired justice was probing Saradha chit fund scam. But now W.Bengal Government shut it down.|
|TV Mohandas Pai||DRISHTI: Driving Information System for Holistic Tax Initiatives) in February 2014. Gave report in October.|
|Vishwanathan||for bankruptcy legal framework. By finance ministry. Yet to give report.|
FIN: Foreign in News
List not exhaustive, only notable from Oct-2014
- 1997: Britain handed over Hong Kong to China.
- Hong Kong is designated as China’s Special Administrative Region (SAR).
- Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying.
- Place in new due to Democratic protests.
- Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
- Decided to stop Air-strikes plan on ISIS fearing it’ll kill Iraqi Civilians as well.
- 457 visa: four year temporary work visa for skilled professional in Australia.
|Brazil||Leftist President Dilma Rousseff won re-election. She defeated pro-business politician Aecio Neves.|
- President Blaise Compaore continuously in office for last 27 years. YET he tried to introduce new bill that’d extend his term.
- Now juntaa fed up and protesting. So he says election in 90 days.
- Authorized air-strikes in Iraq.
- Terrorist Attack on its parliament
- PM Stephen Harper
- Kinshasa is the capital of Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- 1920s: HIV began from here.
|Egypt||North Sinai province: emergency declared due to terrorism.|
- Capital Helsinki
- PM Alexander Stubb; President Sauli Niinisto
- In news because Pranab visited this country.
- Joko Widodo elected new President. Popularly called “Jokowi”
- Sulawesi island. Oldest rock art discovered here. 40k years old. (Painted Pigs)
- This has broken record of France- where 35-38k years old rock art discovered. (Painted Rhinos).
- Rohingya Muslims will get citizenship IF they admit they’re “Bengalis”
- But it implies they are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh despite having lived in the area for generations.
- In future, Government may force them in camps. Hence controversy
|Nepal||Prime Minister Sushil Koirala. Promised Constitution by Jan 2015|
- WHO declares Nigeria free of Ebola
- President Good luck Jonathan will borrow money from abroad, to train military to fight Boko Haram terrorists, who are kidnapping Nigerian schoolgirls.
- King Harald V
- Prime Minister Erna Solberg
- In news because Pranab visited this country and met Santa Clause.
- Will introduce EVM machines in 2018 Election.
- Bilawal Bhutto- Pakistan people’s party (PPP). Wants to take Kashmir from India.
- Eid-ul-Adha is celebrated to commemorate Ibrahim’s willingness to sacrifice.
- Places associated with Haj Pilgrim: Mount Arafat, Mina Valley, Mecca, Saudi Arabia
|South Africa||Denied visa to Dalai Lama to attend nobel peace summit.|
- Kobani: a Border town. Kurdish fighers trying to protect it from ISIS.
|WHO||Director-General Margaret Chan|
|Zambia||Vice-President Guy Scott (a White person) will become acting President.|
DSPIN: Diaspora in News
Here I count all Indian, NRI, PIO, Foreigners making news. (even if they’ve no Indian connection)
- Indian mathematician and founder of Super 30 IIT class.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard University have invited him to deliver guest lecture.
|Inspector Shakti Devi|
- from Jammu and Kashmir Police
- She is deployed in the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
- She has won International Female Police Peacekeeper Award 2014.
- Indian-origin Singaporean poet and writer
- He won Cultural Medallion, Singapore’s highest cultural award by President Tony Tan Keng Yam.
- Journalist in theHindu
- Won public welfare award at World media summit in USA.
|Panda Award for wildlife photography|
- Ashwika Kapoor from Kolkata for “Kakapo Parrot” in New Zealand.
- Kakapo Parrot is nocturnal, can not fly, critically endangered.
- Earlier Hindu chaplain in the U.S. Army.
- Now first Hindu chaplain at the Georgetown University.
|SASTRA Ramanujan Prize|
- To mathematician at or below 32.
- Earlier Manjul Bhargav won it
- 2014: Dr. James Maynard (age 27) of Oxford univ.
|Vanita Gupta||Indian-American attorney. Appointed in the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights division.|
DIN: Dead in news for CDS
|Arathil Candeth Narayan Nambiar|
- He was a soviet spy according to British records.
- Netaji Bose’s deputy
- Friend of Nehu
- Ex-Indian ambassador
- Akhtar Bai Faizabadi, popularly called Begum Akhtar / Mallika-e-Ghazal (Queen of Ghazals).
- Noted classical singer from Uttar Pradesh.
- Specialized in Ghazal, Dadra and Thumri
- Got Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for vocal music, Padam Shri and Padam Bhushan (Posthumously).
- 100th Birth anniversary. Coins released.
|Ben Bredlee||Washington Post. Reported the watergate scandal, that led to President Nixon’s fall.|
|Gopinath Munde||BJP leader, Union rural minister. Died in June 2014 in a car accident.CBI said no foul play.|
|M.V. Kamath||worked with Times of India and wrote the book ‘The Man of the Moment: Narendra Modi.’|
- Nobel Prize-winning physicist from Stanford University.
- Discovered a subatomic particle known as the tau lepton.
|Turaga Janaki Rani||Telugu writer and radio artist.|
|Warren M. Anderson|
- Boss of Union Carbide, producing “Sevin” pesticide.
- Responsible for Bhopal gas tragedy in Dec.1984 due to Methyl isocyanate.
- Died in USA after long illness.
For other parts visit Mrunal.org/PIN.