- Sports: Oct 2014
- 17th ASIAN games
- Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ)
- HERO Indian Super league Football
- World Kabaddi League (WKL)
- Sportsmen in controversy
- IPL match fixing probe
- Paes vs Patriotism
- Sarita Devi’s boxing medal
- Foreign players in controversy
- Business GK: October 2014
- Mobile, IT, E-commerce Related
- Housing and misc.
- Black money names
Sports: Oct 2014
17th ASIAN games
Mascots of 2014 ASIAN games
|Theme|| “Diversity shines here”|
- Games at Incheon, S.Korea
- Para Asian Games (for disabled) also held here.
|2018|| Games at Indonesia.|
|India’s flagbearer|| Indian hockey team captain Sardar Singh.|
|India’s Chef-de-mission||Adille J. Sumariwalla|
- Highest medal tally: China > S.Korea > Japan
- India on 8th number. (in 2012, we were at 7th rank)
- India won total 57 medals — 11 gold, 10 silver and 36 bronze.
- Since it is humanly impossible to mugup 57’s list. I’m focusing only on the “high-profile” winners. You may get the full list on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_at_the_2014_Asian_Games#Medalists
Gold List not exhaustive, only high profile names
|Wrestling 65 kg||Yogeshwar Dutt|
- Sania Mirza
- Saketh Myneini
|Women boxing 51 kg||Mary Kom|
|Kabbadi- both men and women teams||Team India|
Silver: List not exhaustive
- Women: Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa
- Men: Saurav Ghosal
Bronze: List not exhaustive
|10m Air-Rifles||Abhinav Bindra.|
|Tennis Singles||Yuki Bhambri|
- Sania Mirza
- Prarthana Thombare
- Sania Nehwal
- PV Sindhu
- Ashwini Ponnappa
Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ)
- Not for profit company by noted Sportsmen such as Geeth Sethi, Prakasha Padukone, Leander Paes, V.Anand etc.
- other than the President of India, only Olympic gold medallists have the power to raise the Indian national flag in a foreign land, accompanied by the national anthem.
- OGC funding has helped Indian athletes win medals in Asian games. Next task: 8 gold medals in Rio Olympics in 2016.
- Indian defeated Pakis in 17th ASIAN Games at Incheon, South Korea.
- India had Won ASIAN games last time in 1998.
- Now India got direct ticket to mains exam i.e. Rio Olympics 2016.
- Pakis will have to write prelims i.e. qualifying match to get Rio ticket.
|Terry Walsh||Australian coach of India hockey team. He had resigned after ASIAN games but now took back his resignation.|
|Sultan of Johor||Under-21 hockey title. India defeated Great Britain|
|MS Dhoni||Bought Ranchi team of Hockey India league.|
HERO Indian Super league Football
- IMG and Reliance joint venture has launched this IPL type business model, for Football.
- TV Partner: Star channel.
- First season began in Kolkata from Oct 2014.
- Final match yet to be played.
|Peter Biaksangzuala||During Indian Mizoram Premier League match, hem made a “Backflip” to celebrate his goal, injured his back and died.|
World Kabaddi League (WKL)
- Chairman: Punjab’s Dy.CM Sukhbir Singh Badal. TV partner: Sony.
- First season in August 2014, will run upto December 2014! Total 94 matches in double round robin format.
- Abhiskeh Bachchan bought Jaipur team.
- Yoyo Honey Singh, Akshay Kumar, Sonaxi Sinha etc also own teams.
- So far, 23 players caught for using steroids.
WTA Finals in Singapore
|Singles||Serena Williams (USA)||Not important|
- Sania Mirza (India)
- Cara Black (Zimbabwe)
- Peng Shuai, China
- Hsieh Su-wei, Taipei
China Open 2014
|women||Maria Sharapova||Petra Kvitova|
|men||Novak Djokovic||Tomas Berdych|
Shanghai Open 2014
|Single man||Federer (Swiz)||Not important|
|Doubles men||Bob and Mike Bryan (USA)||Not important|
Paris Open 2014
|Single man||Djokovic (Sebia)||Not important|
|Doubles men||Bob and Mike Bryan (USA)||Not important|
|Mary Kom||Samsung Most valuable player (MVP)|
- Defeated Singapore’s Peter Ghilchrist in world billards championship
- Now he owns 3 titles: the IBSF World 6—Red Snooker, World Team Billiards and World Billiards Championship (point format)
|Chess||World chess championship (under-10) title, Nihal Sarin|
Sportsmen in controversy
IPL match fixing probe
SC commission for IPL-6 Spot fixing
|Chairman||Retired justice Mukul Mudgal|
- Additional Solicitor General L. Nageswara Rao
- Advocate Nilay Datta
- Narcotics Dy.DG B.B. Mishra
- Ex-cricketer Sourav Ganguly
They’ve submitted report. Next hearing on 10th Nov.
Main heros in match-fixing
|Cricketers||S.Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan|
|Son in law||BCCI President N.Srinivasan’s Son in Law Gurunath Meiyappan|
|Bollywood||Dara Singh’s son Vindoo Dara Singh.|
Paes vs Patriotism
- Government won’t give financial aid to athletes who remain unavailable for national duty.
- This remark indirectly made against Leander Paes because he did not attend ASIAN games, because he wanted to compete in ATP matches.
|But I’ve not got any financial aid from Government since 2012.|
Sarita Devi’s boxing medal
- During ASIAN games 2014, Sarita Devi had dominated her 60kg semifinals against Korean boxer Ji-Na Park. Yet Sarita Devi declared loser and given bronze medal.
- Later she refused to accept medal during ceremony.
- But Olympic council of Asia gave her stern warning. So she apologized and took the medal.
- International Boxing Association has suspended L. Sarita Devi, her coaches and Indian chef-de-mission Adille J. Sumariwalla from future boxing events for this ‘indiscipline’.
Foreign players in controversy
- Olympic champion swimmer.
- USA Swimming body suspended him for 6 months for drunk driving.
- 2012: He was first double amputee to compete @Olympics and paralympics at London.
- Got 5 years jail for shooting girlfriend in South Africa.
Business GK: October 2014
Relevance in exam? Mainly at one place: MBA interviews. After you give the sales pitch on “Why MBA?”, panel usually ask the bizGK questions to test your awareness.
IMF’s GDP forecast Oct-2014
Oil and gold
- $83 per barrel
- Lowest in 4 years
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- New facility: get your gold tested at local BIS office.
- If quality less than A&H hallmark then A&H will have to pay fine to customer.
- A&H: Assaying and Hallmarking (A&H) Centre.
Mobile, IT, E-commerce Related
- CEO Larry Page
- India born executive Sundar Pichai is now in-charge of googel’s internet products, search engine, google+, adwords.
Orkut is shut down.
- 2004: Both Orkut and Facebook were started. Orkut was named after google employee Orkut Büyükkökten.
- 2008: Orkut had 3 times more members than Facebook. 1.3 crore in India alone.
- New email service “inbox”. But user can join only on “invitation”.
- Google re-designed its search page to load faster on slow-internet mobile phones. On such phones, google will not display images and maps.
- Google app using augmented reality technology
- Point your smartphone at any object, and the app will launch an advertisement or discount offer related to it.
- Google App to store medical records of the patient.
- Designed by a Chennai group.
|Apple and Facebook||They’ll cover the costs of women employees who want to freeze their eggs to delay child-birth, to focus on their career.|
- founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton finally received Facebook shares worth $9 billion for selling their app.
- Jan Koum will join as a board of director in Facebook.
- >500 million whatsapp users in Brazil, India, Mexico and Russia.
- Fiasco during “Big billion day” sales offer. Discounted products sold out too quickly.
- Commerce minister said they’ll look at the issue, but now she says no inquiry against flipkart.
- Mark Zuckerberg visits India, meets Modi, announces $1 million fund to develp apps for farmers, migrants and women.
- Facebook safety checkap. A tool that lets users notify friends and family that they are safe after natural disasters.
- CEO Tim Cook revealed he is gay.
- Apple pay: mobile payment system. You can flash iphone to pay for food, cloths and goods at certain retail stores.
|Vodafone||Won 1800 Mhz spectrum in Feb 2014 auction. But Government hasn’t given the ‘delivery’ yet.|
- Chief Lei Jun.
- Not selling phones in USA yet, because worried that Apple will sue it for design patents.
- Began shifting data from its Chiese servers after privacy concerns of foreign customers.
- Indian Airforce has ordered its staff not to use Xiomi phones because of this chinese angle.
- Chief: Yang Yuanquing
- Completed the acquisition of Motorola from Google, worth ~3 billion USD.
- Now, largest smart phone makers in India: Samgsung > Micromax > Lenovo.
|Yahoo||CEO Marissa Mayer will shut down India R&D centre to reduce costs|
- It’ll drop “Nokia” name from Lumia phones.
- So, in future, they’ll be called “Microsoft Lumia”.
- Nokia 130’: color screen, built-in music player with up to 46 hours continuous playback on a single charge, for Rs. 1,649 in India.
- Ajey Mehta MD.
- Will shut down Sriperumbudur SEZ-factory near Chennai from 1st November 2014.
- Wants to Merge Reliance Jio Infocomm and its long distance services arm Infotel.
- Isha Mukesh Ambani joined Reliance Jio’s Board
- Akash Mukesh Ambani joined Reliance Retail ventures.
- Got ~630 million$ funding Japan’s softbank
- Ebay and Ratan Tata also own stakes in this company.
|Infosys||Founder N. R. Narayana Murthy will not continue as the Chairman Emeritus of Infosys.|
- Lowest profit in 3 years.
- Galaxy sales down after arrival of Iphone 6.
|Raymond||Launched online shopping store “Raymondnext.com”|
|Cognizant||Bought Cadient group for digital marketing in USA.|
|Amazon||CEO Jeffery P. Bezos met Modi. Plans to invest $2 billion in India|
Telecom subscriber base in India
- Total ~95 crore.
- Largest subscribers base: Idea
- In 2014, Most new customers added to: Vodafone > Aircel > Idea.
- BSNL: lost 50,000 customers.
- Plans to privatize the ticket selling ops. Under this scheme, private player can open booth in railway station to sell tickets.
- Premium Tatkal scheme launched in 80 trains. It’ll change tatkal ticket price dynamically as per demand rush.
Tokyo Bullet train
- Completed 60 years on 1st October
- Highest speed 300 but avg. speedwise Chinese trains faster.
- Maglev technology: Magnetic levitation
- China: >400 kmph
- Japan trials: >500 kmph
Housing and misc.
|Tata||Launched site to purchase homes “online”. Tatavaluehomes.com|
- Its boss KP Singh had hidden info. regarding pending legal cases during 2007’s IPO.
- SEBI has banned DLF from sharemarket and from upcoming REIT real estate investment trust funds.
|BSE||BSE and United Stock Exchange of India Ltd (USE) plan to merge their ops.|
|JP Morgan Chase||User accounts hacked.|
Black money names
|Pankaj Lodhiya||Gold trader from Rajkot, Gujarat|
|Pradip Dabar||Belongs to Darab group family|
|Radha Timblo||Miner and Hotelier from Goa.|
- Government has importsed 75% custom duty on Imported bikes above 800CC capacity.
- So, foreign companies sending “Completely knocked down” (CKD) bike-kits.
- They’re assembled at Indian facilities. Lower tax, cheaper MRP.
- World’s Oldest scooter mfg. company from France.
- Mahindra group wants to buy 51% in it.
|Renault||French automobile company. Wants to sell used cars in India.|
- New drug “Onbrez” for respiratory diseas.
- It is low-cost generic version of Novarti’s Indacaterol.
- Cipla will also setup a mfg. unit in Iran
- Cycloserin drug for MDR-TB
- gave license to India’s Shasun Chemicals.
|Delamanid||New MDR-TB. Just got clinical trial approval from WHO|
For other parts visit Mrunal.org/PIN.