- Sarkaari Persons in news (SPIN)
- Foreign countries in News (FCIN)
- Disasters in News
- Civilian awards
- People in news
- Places in news
- Andhra Pradesh
Missiles, Defense exercises compilation soon in a separate article. Hence ignored in PIN series for November.
Sarkaari Persons in news (SPIN)
Modi’s ministry expansion:
|Cabinet Ministry||Old minister||New minister|
|Defence||Finance minister Arun Jaitley held extra charge||Manohar Parrikar|
|Rural development, Panchayati Raj||Vacant after Gopinath Munde’s death(Transport minister Nitin gadkari held extra charge)||Chaudhary Birendra singh|
|Health||Dr. Harshwardhan||Jagat Prakash Nadda(preferably JP Nadda)|
|Railways||Sadanand Gowda||Suresh Prabhu|
Modi also changed a few ministers of state, but that’s not important for MCQs.
Google doodle for Children’s Day (14th November)
Other sarkaari people in news (SPIN)
- Rajni Sankaran became the New chief of Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd (BHAVINI).
- She belongs to IAAS service.
|Bihar’s new governor|
- West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi took additional charge of Bihar.
- Swearing ceremony by Patna High Chief Justice Rekha Doshit.
- Court ordered CBI chief Ranjit Sinha to stay away from 2G case investigation.
- Later, Anil Kumar Sinha- a Bihar cadre IPS appointed as CBI chief.
|CIC||Chief information commissioner Rajiv Mathur retired in August. No person appointed, hence lot case pending.|
- Director General: Vice Admiral Anurag G. Thapliyal
- First woman to reach Colonel rank in a non-medical branch of Army.
- She became Colonel in JAG: Judge advocate General’s branch.
|DRDO||Chief Avinash Chander. Contract extended till 2016.|
|Goa CM changed|
- Laxmikant Parsekar replaced Manohar Parrikar as Goa CM, after Parrikar became Defense minister.
|Intelligence Bureau||Boss Syed Asif Ibrahim says North East India’s security situation is fragile.|
|Modi Ministers||Rail minister Suresh Prabhu and Panchayati Raj minister Birender Singh to get Rajya Sabha seat from Haryana.|
|National Advisor (Drugs Control)|
- BR Jagashetty, Under Health ministry
|NSA||National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval appointed as “Special Representative” for Sino-India border issue.|
|PCI||Justice CK Prasad replaced Justice Markanday Katju as the chairman of press council of india.|
|Secretary-General of the Lok Sabha.|
- Lok Sabha’s Secretary general has same rank and status like Cabinet Secretary.
- IAS Anoop Mishra appointed till 2016.
- Earlier he was Chief Secretary of UP.
Foreign countries in News (FCIN)
|Afghanistan||Parliament approved US-NATO to station troops even after end of 2014.|
|Australia||Brisbane: G20 summit held and Modi unveiled Gandhi’s statue|
- King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck
- Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay
- Capital Thimpu.
- Pranab Mukharjee is the first Indian president to visit Bhutan in last 26 years.
|Burkina Faso||New President Col. Isaac Yacouba Zida|
|Gaza||2010: Pro-Palestine activists tried to reach Gaza on a boat named “Mavi Marmara”. Israel commandos Attacked this boat. ICC Verdict 2014- says case doesn’t merit prosecution.|
- Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi. Approved more troops against ISIS
- Their airforce Claims to have injured ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Terrorist organisation introduced its own currency.
- Name: Dinar (4.25 gm gold coin)
- Motif: 7 wheat stalks.
- 2012: L’Aquila earthquake. Scientists were jailed for not warning about it in advance.
- 2014, Nov: higher court released them.
- Increased sales tax=> less investment =>recession followed.
- PM Shinzo Abe dissolved lower house of Japanese parliament (diet), hoping new election will get him large majority to implement big economic reforms..
- 2nd November 1834: Indian indentured labourers arrived.
- President Rajkeswur Purryag
- Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam
|Mormon church||Admitted that its founder Joseph Smith was not monogamous.|
- A law prevents Myanmar citizen from contesting presidential election IF his/her childnen hold foreign citizenship.
- Suu Kyi can’t contest because her children have Biritsh passport.
- Obama asked Prez. Thein Sein to repeal this law.
|Nepal||India Nepal finalized agreement for 900MW Arun-III to supply electricity to Nepal.|
- Candidates need to pay huge cash to get ticket for parliamentary election
- President Goodluck Jonathan himself needed to shell out over 1.2 lakh $$
- It is the largest oil producing country of Africa.
- Boko Haram captured Chibok region- hometown of those 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.
- Kim Yo Jong: she is Kim Jong Un’s younger sister,gven senior position in the party.
- Sony’s movie “The interview” making parody of Kim Jong.
- Experts believe North Korean hackers attacked Sony because of this.
|Pakistan||Tested Shaheen—II (=Hatf VI) missile, with range of 1500 kms.|
- Will build 2 nuke reactors in Iran
- Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin visited India in November
- President Putin visiting India in December
- Government launched portal for women and disabled to “work at home”
- Example jobs: telecom, travel, IT, marketing, public relations and journalism.
|Sri Lanka||President Mahinda Rajapaksa asks SC- can I contest election for third term? Court says YES you can!|
|Tunisia||Presidential election.Beji Caid Essebsi defeated Moncef Marzouki (Dec 2014)|
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claims Muslims reached Americas 300 years before Columbus did.
- Although Scholars say no evidence.
|UK||Poppy festival to mark the centenary of World War I.|
|UN high commisioner|| Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein chosen as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.|
- Obama to nominate Lotretta Lynch- as first black attorney general in US justice Department
- South Carolina’s governor Nikki Haley visited India, to get investors for her state.
- President Obama will be the chief guest of India’s republic day parade.
- Ferguson riots, Missouri after a white police officer killed a blackman and grand jury exonerated him.
Disasters in News
|Peru||Capital Lima: earthquake of 5.6 scale|
|New-Zealand||Earthquake near Gisborne city.|
|Japan||Volcano erupts at Mt.Aso|
|Indira Peace prize|
- Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014.
- Given to ISRO for 40 years of service to India.
- Vice president led jury decids the award.
|Ex-PM ManMohan Singh|
- Japan’s top national award.
- The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers
- For promoting Indo-Japan friendship.
|Erach Bharuch||Won Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) ‘Earth Hero’ award for this year. He is a noted Environment educationist and director of a deemed univ. in Pune.|
|Doodle||Pune girl Vaidehi Reddy’s won google-doogle for Children’s Day (November 14).|
- Title “Natural and cultural paradise Assam”
- Images drawn- onehorned rhinoceros, tiger, bamboo trees, flower, tea, bihu dance, a japi (traditional hat)
Other People in news
|Dr Fawzia Pee||South African Indian-origin radiographer became President of International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists (ISRRT).|
|Indian American law markers|
- Niraj Atnani: Won American Lok Sabha seat (House of representatives) from Ohio.
- Ami Bera- Indian American Congressman re-elected to American Lok Sabha (House of representatives) from California.
- Iron Lady of Manipur.
- 2000: started fast in imphal for repeal of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958.
- 15 years completed. Hence in news.
- He is an Australian publisher & Journalist known for his website Wikileaks
- 2010: Rape case in Sweden. Court rejected his petition.
- Since 2012, he is hiding in Ecuador’s London Embassy. So that he can’t be extradited to Sweden. Because he fears, Sweden will hand him over to USA.
- was the first woman judge of Delhi High Court and the first woman Chief Justice of a State High Court (Himachal Pradesh).
- Mother of famous author Vikram Seth
- Controversial Bollywood actress.
- Her husband arrested in Kenya for drug-trafficing and she too got detained.
|Nita Mukesh Ambani|
- Donated 11 crore rupees to the Seemandhra chief minister Chandrababu Naidu for the relief from Hudhud cyclone.
- Launched #grassroot football movement in December.
|Pratima Dharma||First Hindu and inter-faith chaplin in US army|
|QUT||Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia. Apologised for showing a wrong map of India, during Modi’s visit.|
|Rob O’Neill||Former navy SEAL operative claims to have shot Osama Bin Laden in 2011.|
- Housewife from Saikheda village, Washim dist. In Maharashtra.
- She sold her mangalsutra to build a toilet.
Forbes most powerful list
|64||Satya Nadella, Microsoft|
Dead in News (DIN)
DIN: Most important
|John Lang||Australia’s first native novelist. He was legal counsel of Rani Laxmibai, in case against East India company.|
- India’s longest serving Petroleum Minister, served in UPA government
- Congress MP from Maharashtra.
- Left handed, 25 year old Australia Test batsman.
- was playing for South Australia against New South Wales during a Sheffield Shield match at Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Died after bouncer attack of New South Wales bowler Sean Abbott.
- Masuri (European helmet company) said he used old light-weight model.
|Sitara devi||Kathak Dancer, Padma-Shri winner. Died in Mumbai.|
|Walter Burley Griffin||designed Australian capital Canberra and was buried in Lucknow. In news because Modi recalled him during Australia visit.|
DIN: less important
|Alexander Grothendieck||Noted German mathematician. Fields medal in late 60s.|
|Dwivedula Visalakshi(1929-2014)||Telugu Writer|
- Australian Novelist and lawyer
- Had fought Laxmibai’s case against East India company
- Social scientist, wrong on Dravidian Movement, south Indian politics etc.
|Miss Honduras 2014||Maria Jose Alvarado and her sister, were murdered by jeolous boyfriend|
|Mubarak Hussain||Commander of Nizam’s Razakar army. Later participated against Bangladesh liberation. Awarded Death sentence by International crime tribunal.|
- Leader of LTTE
- Killed in 2009.
- Some Tamil parties celebrated his b’day in November 2014
|Sadashiv Amrapurkar(1950-2014)||Played villain and comic roles in Bollywood & Marathi films.|
|Squadron Leader Mahinder Singh Pujji|
- Served British Royal Air force during WW2
- Statue unveiled in UK
- Puducherry, theatre personality
- Got Sangeet Natak Akademi Puruskar
- Pioneered experimental theatre movement.
Places in news
- Varansi:Modi cleaned Assi ghat under Swachchha Bharat abhiyan
- Modi Nominated 9 brand-ambassadors from UP: CM Akhilesh Yadav, Mohammad Kaif, Suresh Raina, Raju Srivastava, Manoj Tiwari, Kailash Kher, Manu Sharma, Padma Shri Devi Parsad Dwivedi & Swami Rambhadracharya.
- Sansd Adarsh gram Yojana adoptions: Modi: Jayapur village (Varanasi), Rajnath Beti village, which is not a part of his Lucknow constituency but under the scheme,Urban area MPs can adopt such villages outside their Constituency.
- Government to open English medium schools, to attract parents to sarkaari schools.
- Chandaya site in Baghpat district: ASI excavating Harappa remains.
- Baghpat district- too many cancer cases due to polluted Krishna river. NGT sends notice to state government.
- Vrindavan: ISKON to build Chandrodaya Mandir – 3 times taller than Qutub Minar.
- Tendulkar adopts PuttamrajuvariKandrika village under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana.
- Jiyo Parsi campaign in Hyderabad with support of minority affairs ministry- to increase birthrate of Parsis.
- Tummalapalli village in Kadapa district. Massive Uranium reserves found.
Machilipatnam/ Masulipatnam/Masula @Andhra Pradesh
- British,French & Dutch East India company had opened their factory in the city.
- district headquarter of Krishna district in AP.
- A deep sea-port is proposed here.
|Kukkarahalli Lake||Fish dead thanks to Algae bloom.|
|Tribal dictionary||For Hakki Pikki and Dungri Garasia tribal langauges.|
|Kambala||Buffalo race. Government contemplating ban based on SC order which banned TN’s Jallikattu.|
- At Mysuru. 800 y.o. statue from Vijaya Nagar empire, Mastak-abhishek every year
- Shravanbelagoa @Hassan district= Mastak-abhishek every 12 years.
|Bengaluru||The 24-hour helpline service – 9741476476 for psychological problems|
|Ritual||Controversy surrounding Made Snana.|
|PWD contractors||Biometric cards for contractors to ensure transparency.|
- National Aerolympics-2014 organized.
- Mekedatu reservoir across Cauvery river proposed- to provide drinking water to Banglore public.
- Karauli-Dholpur-Bharatpur mining belt in eastern Rajasthan
- Famous for red-stones
- Too many people dying because of silicosis.
- Congress Government was giving 5 lakh rupees to couples. Hence lot of fake marriages and quick divorces to get money
- New reform: fixed deposit, entire amount only after 8 years of marriage.
|Documents||Government permitted Self-attestation for document from 1st Jan. 2015|
Other states in news
|Delhi||From December owners with pollution certificates cannot buy petrol/diesel.|
- Gujarat has become the first State to make voting compulsory in local bodies
- Name of the bill: Gujarat Local Authorities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2009
- Governor O.P. Kohli signed it
- Planning to create as separate Panchayat Administrative Service (PAS)
- New Bill to regular BT Cotton seed prices.
- Will be renamed to Mangluru.
- Australia too has a town in South-East, named Manglore- it is not a port city though.
- Annual conference of DGPs of India with PM Modi.
- First time this event held outside Delhi
- Suzlon Energy world’s tallest hybrid wind generator turbine
- Tulsi Tanti is CMD of Suzlon
- First state police to create a Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) Wing for security.
- Avudaiyar Koil: temple built by Prime minister of a Pandya King
- Pulicat bird sanctuary: Indian Jackals also found.
- “Mission KAKATIYA” to restore irrigation tanks.
- KAKATIYA dynasty rulers also done the same in 1083-1323 CE.
- ePDS given best G2C award at eIndia 2014 summit.
- TS-iPASS: Telangana State Industrial Project Approval and Self Certification System or ease of doing business.
- Bilaspur district: 11 women dead after faulty serialization operation.
- Sonepur Cattle fair.
- Controversial due to sale of wild animals.
- Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung approved Barapullah elevated corridor and bridge across Yamuna to reduce traffic congestion.
- Sewri port cleanup project.
- To protect the migratory flamingos.
- India’s tallest Twin towers (236 meters) across Hoogly river, at Haldia and Raichak. Setup by Haldia Energy ltd.
- 2nd tallest tower at Rihand Lake,UP (185 meters).
- Kolkata’s Eden garden cricket stadium completed 150th years.
- Bengal cricket board to release New stamp on its President Jagmohan Dalmiya.
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.