- Bharat Ratna
- Sarkari People in News (SPIN)
- Civilians in News
- Dead in news
- Appendix: List of all Bharat Ratna Recipients
- Highest civilian award of India, started in 1954. 7th in order of precedence.
- PM recommends winner to President. At present, Maximum 3 awards can be given in a year.
- Doesn’t carry any money reward, only a certificate and a medal is given.
- Shape: peepal leaf
- Material: bronze and platinum.
- Front side: Sun logo and words “Bharat Ratna” inscribed in Hindi
- Back side: Ashok Chakra and Lion emblem.
- Lawyer from Allahabad, Served in provincial and central legislature.
- Foundation of Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Hindu Mahasabha, “The Leader” newspaper.
- Moderate leader of INC, Four times President.
- Gandhiji gave him a title “Mahamana”
- Opposed separate electorate for Muslims under Lucknow pact of 1916
- He participated in 1st round table conference in 1930, later established Congress Nationalist Party to oppose communal award
- Popularized the slogan “Satyamev Jayate”
- Editor of The Hindustan, Indian Union and Abyudaya.
- Budget 2014: Teacher’s training program named after him.
- Malviya’s Birthday 25th December (same as Vajpayee).
- Born in Gwalior, Poet, Founding member of Bharatiya Jan Sangh and later BJP.
- Foreign minister under Morarji Desai’s junta government in late 70s.
- 11th PM of India. 1st PM to serve full term outside Congress party. [1996 to 2004]
- 1998: conducted Pokhran nuclear test.
- 1998-99: Opened Delhi-Lahore bus service, Lahore declaration for peaceful relations between India-Pak. Later Agra summit with Musharraf.
- 1999: Won Kargil war.
- 2001: Passed POTA act aftermath of December attack on Parliament.
- Infrastructure: Golden quadrilateral highways, connecting 4 metro cities, Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
- During his regime, Bill Clinton became first US President to visit India in 22 years.
- Vajpayee’s Birthday 25th December is celebrated as “good governance day”.
|Congress||130th Foundation day celebrated. It was founded on 28th December 1885 with AO Hume’s help.|
|BJP||Party with largest number of MLAs across India (total 1058). Congress is below 1000.|
|CM Jharkhand||Raghuwar Das (BJP), the first non-tribal CM of Jharkhand.|
|CM J&K||PDP-BJP Government yet to form.|
|Chief Economic Adviser||Arvind Subramanian|
|RAW||Rajinder Khanna new chief of Research and Analysis wing (RAW)|
|CRPF||Prakash Mishra (Odisha Cadre) is the new Director General.|
|IMD||Laxman Singh Rathore is the DG of Indian meteorology Department|
|TRAI||Chief Rahul Khullar says there is nothing wrong in Airtel charging extra money from customers for using skype & other VOIP services.|
|BIS||Bureau of Indian standards: new DG MJ Joeshp.|
|Indian Overseas Bank||R. Koteeswaran|
|Oriental Bank of Commerce||Animesh Chauhan|
|Vijaya Bank||Kishore Kumar Sansi|
|United Bank of India||P. Srinivas|
|Prasar Bharati||CEO Jawahar Sircar wants to increase Prasar Bharati’s reach online.|
|Coal India||S. Bhattacharya became CMD. Of Coal India Ltd. (CIL). Previously he was CMD of CMD of Singareni Collieries.|
|IIT-D||Director RK Shevgaonkar resigned. Two conspiracy theories
|ISRO||Launched GSAT-16 from French Guiana. It’s a communication satellite to help brodcasting DTH TV signals. New Chief: A.S. Kiran Kumar|
|DRDO||Pinaka Mark-II rocket test fired. It has range of 60 km, can fire 12 rockets in 44 seconds and cover a blast area of approx. sq. 4 kms|
|Australia||Terrorist takes Hostages in Syden café.|
|China||World’s longest rail journey from Yiwu China to Madrid Spain- covering 13,000 kms.|
|Greece||Vessel “Norman Atlantic” caught fire near Corfu island (Greece). 500 travelers rescued.|
|Indonesia||Aceh and West Java areas. Over 35k people displaced.|
|Japan||Shinzo Abe re-elected as Prime minister. (Liberal Democractic party)|
|NATO||Officially withdrew from Afghanistan.US Gen. John F. Campbell was the commander of joint International security Assistance force (ISAF) composed of NATO and US forced.|
|Turkey||President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered mass arrests of TV-media personnel associated with his opposition Sunni Cleric.|
|Ukraine||Parliament dropped “non-aligned” status, planning to join NATO.|
|Boobli George Verghese||Ex-Editor of the Hindustan Times and The Indian Express|
|C. Iyodhee Thass Pandithar||Tamil Dalit intellectual. 100th Death anniversary|
|Dr.Ambedkar||6 December- Mahaparinirvan Diwas.|
|Justice VR Krishna Iyer||
|Nedunuri Krishna Murthy||Carnatic Music guru From Andhra Pradesh Pradesh|
|Poet Kuvempu||Birth anniversary of noted Karnataka poet. Famous book: Smashana Kurukshetra – talks about futility of war and inevitability of death.|
|Rajan Devdas||Indian-American photojournalist. Captured US visits of all Indian prime ministers, except Modi.|
|Saiyid Hamid||Muslim Educationist. He was the last surviving ICS officer, and ex-VC of AMU.|
|Sardar Patel||Died on 15th Dec 1950 in a heart attack.|
|Srinivasa Ramanujan||Noted mathematician. Birth anniversary celebrated as national Maths day. (22nd December)|
|A.R Antulay||first and only Muslim Chief Minister of Maharashtra in the early 80s|
|Alois Brunner||Nazi officer who killed many jews during WW2. Died recently in Syrian patronage. He was close aid of Adolf Eichmann- the mastermind of Jew holocaust.|
|Deven Verma||Noted Bollywood film actor. Died in December.|
|G. Venkatswamy ‘Kaka’||Senior-most Congress leader of Andhra Pradesh. Died.|
|George Stinney||14 year American-black teenager, who executed for allegedly murdering two white girls in 1944. Recent trial exposed he was innocent.|
|Jarbom Gamlin||former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. Dead.|
|Joe Cocker||British singer.|
|K. Balachander||Tamil film maker.|
|Mohd. Farooq||Oldest litigant in Babri case, dead.|
|Poet Kodanda Rama Rao||From Hyderabad. Naxalbari poet from 70s.|
|Raj Kapoor||Bollywood actor, 90th Anniversary in December, Google released a doodle.|
|1. C. Rajagopalachari. India’s last governor genral||1954|
|2. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. First VP, second President of India.||1954|
|3. C.V. Raman. Nobel winner Physicist.||1954|
|4. Bhagwan Das. Social activist.||1955|
|5. Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya. Engineer from Mysore.||1955|
|6. Jawaharlal Nehru. Three times PM of India from 1947 to 64.||1955|
|7. Govind Ballabh Pant. Uttar Pradesh’s first Chief minister.||1957|
|8. Dhondo Keshav Karve.Social reformer.||1958|
|9. Bidhan Chandra Roy. 2nd CM of W.Bengal.||1961|
|10. Purushottam Das Tandon. Congress activist.||1961|
|11. Rajendra Prasad. India’s 1st President.||1962|
|12. Zakir Hussain. India’s 3rd President.||1963|
|13. Pandurang Vaman Kane. Sanskrit Scholar.||1963|
|14. Lal Bahadur Shastri. India’s PM after Nehru’s death.||1966|
|15. Indira Gandhi.||1971|
|16. V.V. Giri. 1st Acting President of India.||1975|
|17. K Kamaraj. Tamilnadu CM.||1976|
|18. Mother Teresa. Nobel peace winner, ran catholic mission in Kolkata.||1980|
|19. Acharya Vinoba Bhave. Social reformer, Mangsaysay winner.||1983|
|20. Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan. Freedom fighter.||1987|
|21. M.G. Ramachandran. Film actor and Tamilnadu CM.||1988|
|22. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar. Read Mrunal.org/history for detailed contribution to India.||1990|
|23. Nelson Mandela. Nobel peace prize for Anti-apartheid movement in S.Africa||1990|
|24. Rajiv Gandhi.||1991|
|25. Vallabhbhai Patel. 1st Home minster and Dy.PM of India.||1991|
|26. Morarji Desai. First Non-Congress PM but couldn’t complete 5 year term. (1977-79)||1991|
|27. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. 1st Education minister of free India.||1992|
|28. JRD Tata. Steel Industrialist||1992|
|29. Satyajit Ray. Film maker from Bengal.||1992|
|30. Gulzarilal Nanda. Twice interim PM of India.||1997|
|31. Aruna Asaf Ali. Freedom fighter.||1997|
|32. APJ Abdul Kalam.||1997|
|33. M.S. Subbulakshmi. Carnatic singer.||1998|
|34. Chidambaram Subramaniam. Agriculture minister in mid 60s.||1998|
|35. Jayaprakash Narayan. Social reformer||1999|
|36. Amartya Sen. Nobel Economics in 1998.||1999|
|37. Gopinath Bordoloi. Assam’s 1st CM.||1999|
|38. Pandit Ravi Shankar. Sitar player||1999|
|39. Lata Mangeshkar.||2001|
|40. Ustad Bismillah Khan. Shehnai player.||2001|
|41. Bhimsen Joshi. Classical singer||2009|
|42. C.N.R Rao. Chemist.||2014|
|43. Sachin Tendulkar.||2014|
|44. Pt.Madan Mohan Malviya. Covered in this article.||2014-15|
|45. Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Covered in this article.||2014-15|