- History Questions from ACIO-2015
- Polity Questions from ACIO-2015
- Intelligence Bureau (IB) had conducted written examination for requirement of Assistant central intelligence officer (ACIO) on 22nd February 2015.
- I’m preparing the topic wise ACIO Answerkey in four parts.
- First part: History and Polity MCQs.
- Since IB refuses to disclose answerkeys or cutoffs under right to information act (RTI), so not much point in wasting another 10 rupees into that. One exam is over then it’s time to prepare for another exam.
- It seems the examiner great liking for NCERT Class 10 India and Contemporary world – atleast 4 questions directly from it. (Trade unions, printing press, censorship and PremChand novel launch year.)
- By and large- Modern India (Freedom struggle) portion easy, but Ancient and World history portion tough- because trivial GK type questions asked. Similar trend observed in previous examination held in 2013.
- Strategy for future ACIO exam: For History portion, the base material should be LucentGK AND NCERTs. Although not much point in dwelling into world history given its bad cost:benefit.
- And if you’re simultaneously preparing for UPSC, then skip the freedom struggle part from Lucent, directly prepare it from Spectrum’s Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir.
Anyways, let’s find the answers:
12. To which place Aryabhata, the great mathematician, went for advanced studies?
He went to Patliputra self-financed college. As per As per Bihar Government website
16. Where was Bhaskara, also known as Bhaskaracharya or Bhaskara II, an Indian mathematician & astronomer, was born?
He was born at Biddur, Bijapur Karnataka, says Britannica
44. The caste-system during early Vedic age prohibited
- Inter caste dining
- Inter caste marriages
- None of these
None because those righties begun only after post-vedic age period, says NCERT Sociology class12 Ch3
46. Which among the below mentioned Upper Palaeolithic places in India is wrongly matched with the state it is located in?
- Bhimbetka, Madhya Pradesh
- Betamcherla, Andhra Pradesh
- Inamgaon, Maharashtra
- Singh Bhumi, Himachal Pradesh
First three sites correctly matched with respective states, hence Singh Bhumi is wrong.
47. Kalidasa’s ‘Kumarasambhavam’ describes the story of the birth of which mythological character?
It describes the story of Kartikeya’s birth. Question lifted verbatim from Pearson guidebook for LLB.
48. Where and when was the 2nd Buddhist Council held?
- Patliputra in 250 BC
- Sri Lanka in the 1st century BC
- Vaishali in 383 BC
- Mandalay in 1871 AD
It was held at Vaishali,under Shishunaga dynasty, says Lucent GK page21
35. In which year, Mahatama Gandhi travelled to Champaran in Bihar to inspire the peasants to struggle against the oppressive plantation system?
He went to Chamapran in 1917. Ref: Spectrum, Page 123 OR LucentGK Page 108.
36. With which objective, CR Das and Motilal Nehru formed the Swaraj Party within the Congress?
- Spearhead the mass struggles
- Forge Hindu-Muslim unity
- Participate in elections to the provincial council
- Organise legislative protests against Rowlatt
They did so, to Participate in election to enter in councils Spectrum, Page 136 OR LucentGK Page 108.
37. The industrial working class did not participate in the Civil Disobedience Movement in large numbers, except in
- Nagpur region
- Madras region
- Surat region
- Calcutta region
Nagpur NCERT class10, India & Contemporary world ch3, Page 66
38. Dr B R Ambedkar clashed with Mahatma Gandhi at the 2nd Round Table Conference demanding
- Reservation for Dalits in Government jobs
- Reservation for Dalits in Ministries
- Separate citizen status for Dalits
- Separate Electorate for Dalits
They had difference of opinion over Separate electorate for Depressed classes (Dalits) Ref: Spectrum, 180
41. Who brought the printing Press for the first time to India in the mid-16th century ?
- Dutch cloth merchants
- British traders
- Portuguese Missionaries
- Arab manuscript writers
Portuguese missionaries brought printing press to India for the first time says NCERT Class10, Ch7 Print and Censorship
42. Measures in India to impose censorship on printed material were initiated in 1798 by the East India Company. It was directed against
- Bengali social reformers
- Englishmen in India
- Bengali writers
- Indian Princely States
Englishmen in India NCERT Class10, Ch7 Print and Censorship
77. The Radcliffe Line is named after its architect, Sir Cyril Radcliffe. It is a boundary demarcation line between
- Pakistan & Afghanistan
- India & Bhutan
- India & Pakistan
- India & Myanmar
Lord Mountbatten had appointed Radcliff commission for participation of Bengal and Punjab. Hence #3 is the answer. Ref: Spectrum Page 377.
13. The development of the world’s first practical design for an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, A9/10, was undertaken in Nazi Germany during the World War II. It was intended for use in bombing
- London and other coastal cities of Britain
- Northern cities of France, including Venice
- New York and other American cities
- Interiors of USSR to cut off military supply lines to Moscow.
It was meant to target New York city, as per this Google book
34. The original name of Ho Chi Minh, the President of the Vietnam Democratic Republic, was Nguyen Van Thanh which he later changed to Ho Chi Minh before becoming the President. The literal meaning of Ho Chi Minh is
- He Who Leads
- He Who Fights
- He Who Enlightens
- He Who Protects
The meaning of his name is “He who Enlightens”, says Britannica
40. Which famous leader once said, “we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters: how you live, the noise you make, how you spit…”
- Adolf Hitler, Germany
- Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
- Mussolini, Italy
- Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore
Lee Kuan Yew made this statement, according to this google book
83. French Revolution ended in 1790s with the ascent of
- King Louis XVI
- Napoleon Bonaparte
French Revolution ended with rise of Napoleon, says Tamilnadu State Edu. Book Class12 History, Page 269.
85. In his youth, Adolf Hitler aspired to be a/an
He wanted to be a Painter, but couldn’t get admission in the prestigious acedmy for arts, says Telegraph news article
86. Many of the famous political leaders had a University Degree in Law. Which of the following world leaders didn’t have a Degree in Law?
- Nelson Mandela
- Fidel Castro
- Barack Obama
- John F Kennedy
John F Kennedy. Because other three’s biography pages on Britannica say they had completed Law degree.
87. Ernesto Che Guevara, the famous Marxist revolutionary of South America, was born in
He was born in Argentina says Britannica.
History part is over, now moving to the next topic:
- 13 out 14 questions can be solved directly from Indian Polity by M.Laxmikanth OR LucentGK. Similar trend observed in previous ACIO exam held in 2013 as well.
- But many of them are factual type- which article number, which amendment number has so and so provision.
- One trivial GK type question – symbol of Republican Party in USA.
- Nothing asked from current affairs- land ordinance, insurance ordinance etc.
- Niti Ayog was asked but I classify that under “Economy” questions.
- Strategy for next ACIO Exam: just memorize any one of the following two books:
- LucentGK (if you’re not competing for UPSC exam)
- Indian polity by M.Laxmikanth (if you’re preparing for UPSC.) No need to refer to both books.
Anyways, let’s see the ACIO answerkey for Polity questions
49. In which among the following cases, the Supreme Court of India propounded the theory of basic structure of the Constitution?
- Gopalan vs. State of Madras
- Golak Nath
- Keshvanand Bharati
- Minerva Mills
Answer is #3, In Keshvanand Bharti case, the Supreme court gave the theory of basic structure. Ref. Laxmikanth Page 7.3 / Lucent’s GK Page295 – The Doctrine of Basic Features
50. The 52nd amendment to the Constitution of India is most closely related to
- Extention of Reservation in Government jobs
- Provision for special status to Tripura
- Provisions for increasing age of eligibility for voting
- Provisions against political defections
Answer is #3 Ref. Laxmikanth Chapter 67 introductory line- the 52nd Amendment act of 1985 provides for ground of disqualification for defecting to another party.
51. Which among the following political party of India has an election symbol very similar to the election symbol of Republican Party of USA?
- Samajwadi Party
- Bahujan Samaj Party
- Janta Dal (United)
- Telugu Desam Party
Republican party symbol is elephant as per Britannica kids, so nearest match is Bahujan Samaj party.
52. How many members, the President of India can nominate to Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha, respectively?
- 12, 2
- 2, 10
- 10, 2
Answer is #2 Ref. Laxmikanth Page 17.8 Legislative power of president / Lucent’s GK Page 299 President :- Legislative power
53. Which among the following amendments to the Constitution of India, designated Delhi as National Capital Territory (NCT)?
- 63rd Amendment Act
- 69th Amendment Act
- 74th Amendment Act
- 76th Amendment Act
Answer is #2 69th Amenment of 1991 accorded NCT status to Delhi. Ref. Laxmikanth Appendix VI, page No.AVI-6 / Lucent’s GK Page 277
54. On 29 August 1947, the Drafting Committee for Indian Constitution was appointed, with Dr B. R. Ambedkar as the Chairman along with six other members. Who among the following was not the member of the Drafting Committee?
- N. Gopalaswami Ayengar
- Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Kanaiyalal Maneklal Munshi
- Alladi Krishnaswamy lyer
Answer is #2. Nehru was not part of that Committee. Ref. Laxmikanth Page 2.4 Drafting Committee / Lucent’s GK Page 267
55. Part IV of the Indian Constitution deals with Directive Principles of State Policy. This feature of Indian Constitution was influenced by a similar feature of
- Canadian Constitution
- Australian Constitution
- American Constitution
- Irish Constitution
Answer is #4 DPSP were inspired from Irish Constitution. Ref. Laxmikanth Page 3.11 Constitution at Glance / Lucent’s GK Page 267
56. Which among the following schedules of the Indian Constitution deals with forms of Oaths or Affirmations?
- 2nd Schedule
- 3rd Schedule
- 4th Schedule
- 5th Schedule
Answer is #2 Third schedule deals with Oaths or affirmations. Ref. Laxmikanth Page 3.10 / Lucent’s GK Page 273
57. Which of the following is not a constitutional provision relating to Governors of States?
- Same person can be appointed as Governor for two or more States
- He shall be appointed by the President
- He shall hold office during the pleasure of the President
- He should have completed the age of 25 years
4th statement is wrong because he should have completed 35 years. Ref. Laxmikanth Page 26.4 / Lucent’s GK Page 313
58. Which Article of the Indian Constitution deals with special provision with respect to the States of Maharashtra and Gujarat?
- Article 370
- Article 371
- Article 371-A
- Article 371-B
371 deals with those two state. Answer is #2 Ref. Laxmikanth Page Appendix A
59. Indian Constitution provides for promotion of international peace and security. Which of the following deals with this provision?
- Article 51 of the Directive Principles of the State Policy
- It is implied by the Preamble of the Indian Constitution
- The 12th Schedule of the Indian Constitution
- Article 392 empowers the President in this regard
International peace is provided under Article 51. Answer is #1 Ref. Laxmikanth Page Appendix I / Lucent’s GK 269
60. Which Article of the Indian Constitution defines the Original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court?
- Article -129
- Article 130
- Article 131
- Article 132
Original jurisdiction provided under Article 131. Hence Answer is #3 Ref. Laxmikanth Page Appendix I / Lucent’s GK 271
62. The power to promulgate ordinances during recess of Parliament is vested with
- The Council of Ministers
- The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Urgent Enactment
- The President
- The Prime Minister
President can promulgate ordinances when parliament is in recess. Therefore, Answer is #3 Ref. Laxmikanth Page 17.8 (k) / Lucent’s GK 300
90. Who is non-member who can participate in the debate of Lok Sabha?
- Vice President
- Chief Justice of India
- Attorney General of India
- None of the above
Answer is #3 Ref. Laxmikanth Page 46.1 Rights of AG / Lucent’s GK 303
Visit Mrunal.org/ACIO for more about job profile, training and interview-experiences (posted in the comment sections of old articles).