- Padma Vibhushan is 2nd Highest civilian award after Bharat Ratna in India. And Overall, 4th highest award- after Bharat Ratna, Param Vir Chakra, Mahavir Chakra.
- After Vibhushan the two lower medals are Padham-Bhushan and Padma-Shree.
- Launched in 1954, but were not given in certain years such as 1978, 1979 etc.
- Names announced on Republic day, but actual awards given by President during March/April.
- Given for notable work in art, social-service, public affairs, science, trade, medicine, civil service, sport and others.
- Higher level award can’t be given without 5 years cooling period. e.g. Padma Shri to Padma Bhushan. But award Committee can relax this rule in special cases. Saina Nehwal unhappy because wrestler Sushil Kumar given relaxation but she was not.
- Not given to dead people, unless exceptional case and died recently.
- Serving Government employees, PSU-employees not eligible. But foreigners eligible e.g. Bill Gates.
- Prime minister setup the Padma award selection Committee, then President makes final approval, and names published in official gazette. Rumors say President Pranab was unahappy with Yoga-guru Baba Ramdev’s name, hence Ramdev voluntarily withdrew his name.
- Maximum limit 120 awards each year.
- Winner gets certificate, bronze medal, but can’t use this title as a prefix or suffix. No free rail tickets or pension given with this award.
Out of them: 17 women, 17 foreigners and 4 dead.
|1.L. K. Advani||Public Affairs||Gujarat||
|2.Amitabh Bachchan||Art||Maharashtra||Bollywood hero who appeared in over 180 movies.|
|3.Prakash Singh Badal||Public Affairs||Punjab||Patron of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and present CM of Punjab.|
|4.Dr. D. Veerendra Heggade||Social Work||Karnataka||Hereditary administrator (Dharmadhikari) of Dharmasthala temple, Karnataka. Also won Karnataka-Ratna (2009)|
|5.Mohammad Yusuf Khan||Art||Maharashtra||Better known as Dilip Kumar, this Bollywood hero appeared in over 60 movies.|
|6.Swami Rambhadracharya||Others||Uttar Pradesh||He is one of the four incumbent Jagadguru Ramanandacharya, Sankrit Scholar and head of Tulsi peeth at Chitrakoot|
|7.Prof. Malur Ramaswamy Srinivasan||Sci./Engg.||Tamil Nadu||This nuclear physicist played key role in indigenous Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor.|
|8.Kottayan K. Venugopal||Public Affairs||Delhi||Senior advocate in the Supreme Court of India.|
|9.Karim Al Hussaini Aga Khan ( viagra generico 100 mg prezzo piu basso a Torino http://cinziamazzamakeup.com/?x=comprare-levitra-senza-ricetta-Firenze Foreigner)||Trade and Industry||France/UK||Aga Khan is a name used by the Imam of the Nizari Ismailis since 1818. Karim Al Hussaini is the Current Imam of this sect.|
|Dr. Vijay Bhatkar||Sci./Engg.||Maharashtra||He developed first Indian Supercomputer, Param 8000 (1991)|
|N. Gopalaswami||Civil Service||Tamil Nadu||
|Dr. Subhash C. Kashyap||Public Affairs||Delhi||Former Secretary-General of Lok Sabha and a Constitutional expert.|
|Shri Harish Salve||Public Affairs||Delhi||
|Satpal||Sports||Delhi||He is the coach of Olympic silver medalist, Sushil kumar. Mr.Satpal himself won Renowned Wrestler who won medals at Asian games in the 70s and 80s.|
|Prof. Manjul Bhargava||Sci./Engg.||USA||
|Bill Gates and Melinda Gates||Social Work||USA||
|Bibek Debroy (Niti Ayog fulltime member)||Litt/Edu||Delhi|
|Bollywood villain Pran Kumar Sharma alias Pran (Posthumous)||Art||Delhi|
|Dawoodi Bohra leader Late Shri Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin
|Gunvant Shah (Columinist)||Litt/Edu||Gujarat|
|Ms. Arunima Sinha (Amputee Mt.Everest climb)||Sports||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ms. Mithali Raj (cricketer)||Sports||Telangana|
|Ms. P. V. Sindhu (Badminton)||Sports||Telangana|
|Prasoon Joshi (Lyricist)||Art||Maharashtra|
|Prof. Bimal Roy||Litt/Edu||West Bengal|
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali (film-maker)||Art||Maharashtra|
|T. V. Mohandas Pai (Ex-Infosys)||Trade and Industry||Karnataka|
|Tarak Mehta (Satire novelist)||Art||Gujarat|
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.