- Government Appointments
- Foreigner in News
- Diaspora in News
- Civilian awards/appointments
- Dead in News
Collection of Persons in news (PIN) for April 2015.Utility of the article: CAPF, IBPS, SSC, SBI & similar non UPSC exams and dozens of college admission entrance exams.
|BN Navalawala||Water resource ministry setup BN Navalawala taskforce for interlinking of rivers.|
|CEC||Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi will become the 20th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) replacing HS Brahma.|
|CPI (Marxist)||Rajya Sabha member Sitaram Yechury was elected the fifth general secretary of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) He replaced Prakash Karat.|
|EC||Ex-Gujarat Chief Secretary Achal Kumar Jyoti joined as election commissioner. Tenure: 6 years/ 65 age – whichever earlier.|
|Jitan Ram Manjhi||After quitting JDU, this ex-CM of Bihar launched new party Hindustani Awam Morcha.|
|Justice M.Jayapaul||This Punjab and Haryana High Court judge jumped into Sukhna lake to save a young girl from drowning.|
- Uttarakhand government plans to use the radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology to track pilgrims.
- This will help in quicker delivery of food/water/supplies. And quicker rescue during disasters using Geographical Information System (GIS)-based mapping application.
|Sabyasachi Bhattacharya||Eminent Historian resigns from as Chief Editor from Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) saying right wing people trying to re-write history and he doesn’t like it. NOT ONE BIT.|
|Tiger reserve||National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) gives approval for tiger reserves in|
- Ratapani in Madhya Pradesh
- Sunabeda in Odisha
- Guru Ghasidas in Chhattisgarh.
|Venkadarath Saritha||30-year-old from Telangana took up auto rickshaw driving 10 years ago to support her family. The Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) has appointed her as its first female driver.|
Foreigner in News
|Loretta Lynch||A first African American woman Appointed as the 83rd Attorney-Generalto serve as the top U.S. law enforcement official.|
- He get civilian award “Nishane Pakistan”.
- It is highest civilian Award of pakistan.
- Start- 19 March 1957
- Given to a person for his/her higest degree of service to the country
- Criteria of selection- merit and distinguished services to the country, foreign relations and international community.
- Former PM Morarji Desai (in 1990)is only Indian to receive this award.
Diaspora in News
|Amandeep Singh Bhogal||first Sikh to contest the election from the Conservative Party in Northern Ireland constituency of Upper Bann|
- This 17 years old Virginia-born Indian-Origin girl has got admission to 14 top U.S. varsities, including all eight Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown and the University of Pennsylvania).
|Pratap Singh||This 15 y.o Indian-origin schoolboy in London has won Institute of Physics Prize for experimenting Albert Einstein’s theory of special relativity.|
|Raja Rajeswari||The first India-born woman to be appointed a judge in New York City.|
|Satya Nadella||U.S. President Barack Obama plan to honour Microsoft’s Indian-origin CEO Satya Nadella with the “Champions of Change” Award for bringing about a change within his company to support working families.|
- 37 year-old medico sworn-in as the U.S. SurgeonGeneral by Vice-President Joe Biden
- the youngestever in-charge of the country’s public health
- He took the oath on the Gita
- He is the highest ranking IndianAmerican in the Obama administration.
- He is the country’s 19th Surgeon General
- He received his bachelor’s degree from Harvard
|Mariyam Siddiqui||This Class 6 Muslim girl has won Bhagvad Gita contest organised by ISKCON International Society.|
|Miss India World||Aditi Arya won it. She hails from Gurgaon.|
|Vikram Patel||A Goa Psychiatrist. Selected in Time’s annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world For his research on linking mental disorders and poverty in third world Countries.|
|Wendell Rodricks||This Goan fashion designer won Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et Letters) from French Ambassador.|
Dead in News
|Andrew Lesnie||This Australian cinematographer worked on the first The Lord of the Rings movie in 2001 and won Oscar Award.|
|Ankit Keshri||Young cricketer of Bengal passed away. He played U-19 and lead his U-23 team in CK Nayudu national Championship.|
|Betty Willis||Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada. She designed this sign. Died.|
|Dr. Kailash Vajpeyi||Hindi Poet, won Vyas Samman. Dead|
|Gajendra Singh||Rajasthani farmer commits suicide at AAP rally in Delhi.|
|Günter Grass||German Noble laureate author famous for his work-novel-The Tin Drum in 1959 died. He had emotional attachment with city Kolkata|
|Hrushikesh Moolgavkar||Former Pilot, Chief of Air Staff and Air Chief Marshal died.Participated in Second world war and First Kashmir war and honored Mahavir chakara.|
|Janaki Ballav Patnaik||Ex-Governor of Assam, 3 time CM of Odisha, veteran Congress leader. He died in Andhra Pradesh.|
- A Tamil Writer, novelist poet and autobiographer died.
- He is famous for two autobiographies—Oru Ilakkiyavathiyin Arasiyal Anubavangal and Oru Arasiyalvathiyin Ilakkiya Anubavangal.
- Won both the Jnanpith and Sahitya Akademi Awards.
|Karnataka||Famous author R.K. Narayan’s Mysuru house will be turned into A memorial.|
|Lt. Gen. (Retd) Hanut Singh||Participated in 1971 India-Pakistan war with commanding Poona Horse regiment, died. He got Param Vishisht Seva Medal and the Maha Vir Chakra.|
|Malli Mastan Babu||This Indian mountaineer died in Andes mountain ranges in Chile. He was first from Andhra Pradesh to climb Mt.Everest.|
|Milap Chand Jain||A former Chief Justice of Delhi High Court|
|Richie Benaud||Former Australian cricket captain, struggling with skin cancer died. Also popular as a “Voice of Cricket”.|
|Sunita Tomar||This cancer patient lady face of India’s anti-tobacco campaign, hailed from Madhya Pradesh, died.|
|Surya Bahadur Thapa||Former Prime Minister of Nepal|
|Yakub Abdul Razak Memon||Supreme Court dismissed his plea seeking a review of the death penalty awarded to him regarding 1993 Mumbai blasts case.|
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.