- L8/P1: Environment-Go No-Go areas, law & Polity
- L8/P2: Green law panel & Wildlife protection
- L8/P3: Environment Clearance- ELMA, NEMA, SEMA
- On 5th May 2015, my session on environment part-1: National Environment issues-green law panel recommendations. As such environment not my subject but since Economy survey both volumes have chapters on it, I’m covering it.
- Total about 1:15 hours, split into 5 parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at mediafire.com/folder/2bb433i58hp2v/General_Studies_Mrunal
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because I’m required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English-text articles or English PPTs on the site.
- Tiger & Elephant Reserves, RAMSAR Wetland sites in India- a brief overview
- 4 Biodiversity hotspots in India
- Biosphere Reserves of India under UNESCO’s MAB program
- Natural World Heritage Sites under UNESCO
- Coastal & Marine Biodiversity Areas under AICHI Target
- Marine Protected Areas
- National Parks
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Conservation Reserves vs Community Reserves
- What are protected areas?
- What are Go & No Go areas? Jairam Ramesh vs. Green law panel
- Self study topics from NCERT and India yearbook.
- Environment related laws before and after independence- A Chronological overview
- environmental provisions in Constitution of India – at fundamental rights, duties, directive principles of state policy
- 7th Schedule: jurisdiction of union and state on environmental matter
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/z1XGAbrp0eE
- Green Law panel: chairman TSR Subramanian, purpose of high level Committee to review environmental laws.
- Wildlife protection: 6 schedules, need for reforms, natural worship vs. animal cruelty, need for granting expert status to WII, eco sensitive zones
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/iycRAb4nB40
- Environment Clearance: why delays, Proposed environment laws management act (ELMA 2014)
- Proposed statutory bodies: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), SEMA, UTEMA- their structure, functions and jurisdiction over category A and B projects.
- Fast tracking of public hearing and linear projects- why activists are angry?
- compensatory afforestation- need for reforms, environment reconstruction fund
- Pollution control: municipal waste, vehicle pollution, noise pollution
- Proposed new All India Environment services and reforms in higher education in environment sector.
- Mock question for mains: The principal aim of Environment regulation should be to balance Ecological & Economic needs of India. Critically examine the lacunas in present legal-Administrative framework & suggest remedies.
- Mock Essay for Mains: Nature is the source of all material things: the Maker, the means of making, and the things made. (Isha Upanishad)
- Mock Essay for Mains: “Environmental conservation is about negotiating the transition from past to future in such a way as to secure the transfer of maximum significance.” (Holland and Rawles, 1930)
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/fQxuPQEtJhc
Visit youtube.com/user/TheMrunalPatel For more lectures on UPSC General Studies.