- Bilateral relations
- International Summits & meetings
- International Tragedies / Crisis
- Internal security
- Defense and Science Tech
- Parks, Sanctuaries, Wildlife spots
- States in News
|India-China: Economy||Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya will meet with China’s Development Research Centre (DRC) on topics related to economy and social development.|
- Two-tier structure setup between our Home Ministry and the Ministry of Public Security of China- consisting of ministers and bureaucrats from each side.
- This will provide an institutional platform that will cover all issues that impact on the “internal security” of the two countries such as law enforcement, cybercrimes, terrorism, trans-border crimes and drug trafficking.
- Modi visit to UK: Pacts signed to increase people-to-people ties, strengthen Indian diaspora community
- Problem area: Trade between India and the UK has been dipping since 2011, mainly over regulation and taxation issues.
- Modi inaugurated a memorial in London dedicated to B.R. Ambedkar and visited Wembley Stadium in London.
- Prime Minister Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli criticised India and blamed Madhesi people for ongoing blockade which has led to shortage of fuel and medicine.
- He accused the Indian Oil Corporation of not delivering fuel despite early and advance payment for fuel.
- Nepali cable operators banned on Indian channels due to ongoing blockade .
- Indian SSB jawans were detained by Nepal army but released.
- India sent a delegation of journalist to show its perspective.
- Modi unveiled a 12-ft bronze statue of Swami Vivekananda in Malaysia.
- The statue was a gift from a Belur Math devotee in India
|India & Japan|
- 15,000 crore North East connectivity project
- India-Japan will create a manufacturing hub in this region.
- But differences between Indian agencies and JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) on cost and security angles.
- Japan plus cell for expediting clearances for Japanese investments in India.
|Li Yuanchao,||Vice-President of China, visited India, Anjanta caves, signed agreements on river water management and cultural exchanges.|
|Dmitry Rogozin|| Dy PM of Russia, cancelled planned visit to Delhi .|
International Summits & meetings
|APEC||Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum meeting in Manila in Philippines.|
- ASEANS is a 10-member grouping founded in 1967
- 27th Summit held at Kuala Lampur ,Malaysia
- India will soon provide electronic visa facility to all 10 Asean members
- India will set up an Asean-India innovation platform to facilitate commercialisation of low-cost technologies
- India will focus on CMLV- Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam for its “Make Outside India” program.
|ASEAN-India summit||held at Kuala Lumpur.|
- 4 nation Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal car rally reached at Tripura.
- It’ll follow the routes described in BBIN-Motor Vehicle Agreement signed between these four countries at Thimphu.
|China||Yuan included as a reserve currency in IMF-SDR with effect from 1st October 2016. For more details refer to powerpoint ML5/P4.|
|Delhi||Global Focal Point Conference on Asset Recovery held.|
- Annual G20meet @ Turkish city Antalya; President of Turkey is Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Next G20 meeting @China.
- India-Australia concluded the civil nuclear agreement for supply of Uranium.
- Australia has about a third of world’s recoverable uranium resources. India will be the first country to buy Australian uranium without being a signatory to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty + Anti-terrorism coordination
- 2008: Kosovo declared independence from Serbia.
- Its bid for UNESCO membership rejected. Because such bid requires support of 2/3rd voting or 94 “yes” votes.
|Malta||Common wealth summit held. Nauru is the most smallest populous nation of commonwealth nations. But, most successful in terms of per capita income among common wealth nations.|
- Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy won majority seats (364 seats out of 491)
- Suu Kyi cannot become President herself under a Constitution drafted by the military, because her son has foreign citizenship.
|Paris||Climate change summit to be held in December 2015.|
International Tragedies / Crisis
- Russian airliner carrying 224 passengers crashed into the mountainous area of Sinai Peninsula.
- Terrorist attack at 6 locations of Paris, over 120 killed. Europe’s largest Muslim population lives in France.
- French President Francois Hollande chief guest at the Republic Day parade of India
- Emergency declared between 4 to 10th November.
- Ahmed Adheeb Abdul Ghafoor was the vice president of Maldives, but police arrested him on the charges of hatching plot to assassinate President of Maldives Mr. Abdullah Yameen through a boat blast.
|Anup Chetia||Bangladesh handed over this ULFA leader to India. He was arrested 18 years ago.|
|Asiya Andrabi||Dukhtaran-e-Millat chief, separatist leader of Kashmir, praised by Nawaz sharif.|
|Chhota Rajan||Arrested from Bali, Indonesia. Indonesia is the biggest country in ASEAN.|
|David Headley||Pakistan-born American terror operative and former source of FBI. He has been granted pardon by Mumbai special court to turn approver and a witness against 26/11 mastermind Abu Jundal (In December 2015)|
|Greenpeace NGO||its registration cancelled for violating various norms under FCRA act. More details under Powerpoint Mains_L5_P1.pptx|
|Interpol chief|| Jurgen Stock met modi @Global Focal Point Conference on Asset Recovery in New Delhi|
|Kashmiri Migrants||Union’s Rs.2000 crores for rehabilitation of Kashmiri migrants- 3000 government jobs, 6000 homes. Although Kashmiri Pandits unhappy since similar scheme in 2008 was a fiasco due to apathetic attitude of state regime.|
Defense and Science Tech
Image taken from Times of India
- country’s first Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) outlet.
- AMRIT programme is aimed at lowering treatment cost of cancer and cardio-vascular diseases here drugs will be sold at highly discounted rates.
|Defence procurement policy 2015|
- To provide level playing field for Micro, Small and medium enterprises (MSMEs)
- first DPP was drafted in 1992 and has since been revised several times, last time in 2013.
- This communications satellite was launched Using Ariane-5 launch vehicle.
- from Kourou in French Guiana in South America.
- It also included GEO Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) payload, expected to work for next 12 years.
|Indian Air Force||By June 2017, the first batch of women fighter pilots will be serving the Indian Air Force after graduating from Dundigal academy.|
- oldest serving aircraft career (57 years)
- It’s to be decommissioned next year.
- Andhra Pradesh is the first to approach the Defence Ministry to convert this into a tourist attraction to inspire people.
- Barak NG (next generation) missile is a super sonic Long range surface to air missile (LR-SAM) jointly developed by DRDO (India) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) of Israel.
- This 100 km range missile provides all weather defense to a ship against incoming enemy helicopters, drones, missiles, fighter jets.
- Its test-firing being done from stealth destroyers P15-A, INS Kolkata and INS Kochi.
|Pilatus Aircraft||Switzerland delivered 75th Aircraft to delivered to Indian air force.|
- 26th January 2016, French President Fancois Hollande to be the chief guest for republic day parade.
- India and France are working to finalise the agreement for the direct purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets during that visit.
- India’s easternmost strategic airfield at Teju, Arunanchal Pradesh.
- New runway to host heavy lift aircraft and bombers (against China)
- Total six such strategic airfields planned for Arunachal Pradesh.
- The only indigenous manufacturer and exporter of thermal imaging-based devices.
- It’s bidding for Army’s Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicle programme.
- Robot to perform Agricultural activities. can plough the field, water it and sow seeds for a fixed period of time, with the help of a timer and GPS coordinates.
- Created by Hyderabad’s P. S. V. Kisshann, filed patent recently, cost approx Rs.1.2 lakh
|Himachal||Swan river in Una district – state govt demands funds from centre for its flood management project.|
- Rice variety made by Kerala scientist.
- It is tolerant to salinity, iron toxicity and resistant to flash floods up to two weeks.
|2015||WMO says it was the hottest year on record and Next year may be even worse|
|Bharat fuel norms|
- According to Auto Fuel Policy, Bharat Stage-5 (BS-V) norms were to be implemented from April 1, 2022 and BS-VI from April 1, 2024.
- But now Government decided to implement them from 2019 and 2021 respectively. to combat pollution at earliest.
- Japanese companies Mitsubishi, Toshiba and Hitachi provide technology to French Areva and the U.S. – based Westinghouse and GE respectively for developing nuclear plants.
- Villagers of Jaitapur region petitioned Japanese PM Abe not to sign nuke deal with India.
- Global meet on safe use of chemicals in pepper farming.
- By International Pepper Community (IPC) under the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP).
|Pampa river, Kerala|
- Pollution problem due to abandoning of clothes in the river by pilgrims returning from Sabarimala.
- Kerala High Courts’ stern directive to treat it as criminal offence.
|Taj Mahal||The fumes from nearby public crematorium are damaging the marbles of Taj Mahal. Supreme Court judge, Justice Kurian Joseph visited Taj Mahal, ASI also supported the findings of Judge.|
Parks, Sanctuaries, Wildlife spots
- Bandipur and Nagarhole national parks are part of 6000 sq.km Nilgiri biosphere,
- This biosphere supports single largest Asian elephants population in the world.
|Kawal Tiger Reserve||Adilabad- has become a safe zone more for the Maoists than tigers.|
|Kaziranga national park|
- CAG highlighted the nuisance of hotels and commercial tourism enterprises near the park.
- NGT asked about the steps taken by the State of Assam to prevent animal deaths on roads caused due to vehicular traffic.
|Nallamala forests||High quality Red sanders grow in the Nallamala hills of Andhra Pradesh. It has become a hot smuggling zone, but this year, heavy rains made it difficult for smugglers to operate.|
|Thailand||star tortoise will soon come into extinction category. Its trade is banned in India but not in Thailand.|
|Vizhinjam sea port||Kerala govt diluted the environment norms for supplying building materials to Vizhinjam seaport. Environment activist opposed this move.|
- 96 monuments + Dogs and parrot tombs found.
- They even have monuments for saintly animals such as Tota Kabr (parrots’ tombs), two are Kutte Ka Kabr (dog’s tombs).
- But some historian believe these may be tombs of the enemies of the Bahmani kings. Hence the derogatory names.
|Vizianagaram fort||Listed in heritage structure in ASI list. Based on Gothic architecture with traditional Indian ‘vaasthu’ principles. Problem: Unauthorised construction|
States in News
|Bihar||ban on the sale and consumption of liquor would be imposed in Bihar from the next fiscal year, beginning April 1, 2016.|
|Cochin Shipyard|| first IPO among the major ports is issued.|
|Haryana||Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a number of sops for Scheduled Caste people- free laptops for girls and Sanskrit University after Maharishi Valmiki.|
|Odisha||Tata Steel commissioned Kalinganagar Steel Plant in odisha + the largest single-location greenfield steel project in India + group will soon build another plant at Gopalpur (odisha)|
|Punjab||Punjab Cabinet gave its nod for life imprisonment as maximum punishment for those convicted for acts of sacrilege.|
- Pushkar Fair held in Pushkar Rajasthan. one of the largest camel fairs in the world.
- Resurgent Rajasthan Partnership Summit and New Rajasthan MSME Policy 2015 launched at Jaipur. >90% of industries in this state fall under MSME classification.
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group will develop a 6,000 megawatt Solar Power Park in Rajasthan. It has to attract an investment of Rs. 60,000 crore.
|Varanasi||Microsoft picks Varanasi for experimental Internet pilot project.|
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO, APFC/EPFO, RBI and state service exams.