- Science technology and innovations
- Books, authors, awards
- Movies in news
- Dead in News
- Days in News
Science technology and innovations
As such not many developments on science-tech front these days ever since Indianexpress and theHindu went crazy over Panama Papers/loan-writeoff and Intolerance/Kainyaa respectively.
- It is a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating, learning and forming relationships with other people
- Ministry of Social justice came up with new guidelines for diagnosis of Autism: only INCLEN diagnostic tools shall be used for identification of autism.
- Dengue vaccine developed by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi, for age group 9 to 15, Philippine ( capital Manila) begin public immunization programme first in the world.
- IMD release this index every five days for advance forecast on heatwaves and thereby to reduce causalities. IMD also afraid that 2016 may be the hottest year for India.
- 7th Satellite (IRNSSG) sent and now India will have its own GPS similar to USA’s GPS, Russia’s GLONASS, Europe’s Galileo and China’s Beidour. Range: 1500 kms beyond India; Both civilian and military applications possible.
- More details in this article
- Russia’s latest cosmodrome/spaceport. First unmanned Soyuz 2.1A rocket launched.
|Whatsapp||Started end to end encryption with AES256 technology. Meaning only user and recipient can read, hackersgovernments can’t intercept and read the message.|
Books, authors, awards
- Born in India, died in London.
- Journalist and short story writer.
- Famous works: The Jungle Book (Mowgali) and White Man’s burden poem.
- Won Nobel Literature in 1907
|NN Vohra||Retired bureaucrat, longest serving governor of Jammu & Kashmir, latest book “Safeguarding India: Essays on governance and security.”|
|Sunil Khilnani||Incarnations: India in 50 lives contains biography of noted leaders of India.|
|Esther David||Daughter of Isaeli Jewish Reuben David who setup A’bad’s first zoo. She has written a book “Ahmedabad: city with a past”.|
|Anubha Bhonsle||Mother, where is my country book on Manipur turmoil.|
|Man Booker International Prize|
- To be announced in London, in May 2016
- It is open to books published in any language that have been translated into English, to recognize a single work of fiction
- The 50,000pound ($71,000) prize is divided evenly between the author and the book’s translator.
- His book “India’s struggle for independence” is in controversy as it mentions Bhagat Singh as a “revolutionary terrorist” and Dy.Secy of Rajya Sabha P.J. Kurien ordered government to remove that mention from the book.
- More on Bhagat Singh’s contribution in freedom struggle- read this article
|Miguel De Cervantes||Author of satirical novel “Don Quixote”, he died in Madrid, Spain. 2016 is his 400th death anniversary.|
|Pramod Kumar||Gandhi an illustrated biography costs over Rs.2,400/!|
|Srikanth Raghwan||India’s war: making of Modern South Asia, 19391945.|
- Nobel winner poet from Chile. His body was reexamined from tomb, to ascertain whether he was poisoned by the military regime in the 70s.
Movies in news
Yes, these type of cheap questions mostly prevalent in clerical exams. National film awards not put here, because that’ll be in May Month’s current compilation. This one is April-2016.
|The man who knew infinity|
- Biographical movie of Indian Mathematician Srinivas Ramanujan (played by Dev Patel) and his association with British mathematician GH Hardy.
- Ramanujan was a self-taught (autodidatic) Mathematician- born and died in Madras Presidency.
- December 22, his b’day is National Mathematics day.
- 1729 is Hardy Ramanujan Number.
|The Jungle Book|
- Based on Rudyard Kipling’s stories; Director: Jon Favreau; starring Neel Sethi as Mowgli.
- In the earlier DDTelevision series, Vishal Bhardwaj had directed the title song “Jungle Jungle baat chali hai” (Lyrics by Gulzar.)
- SRK movie based on Gujarat gangster/bootlegger Adul Latif, who was later killed in police encounter in the late 90s. Now his family filled case against SRK for portraying Latif in a bad light.
|Dark Chocolate||Movie on Indrani Mukharjea, accused of killing her daughter Sheena Bora.|
|Ki and Ka||Bollywood movie about a working wife and homemaker husband.|
|Kung Fu Panda 3||Animated movie starring voices of Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and other.|
|Maalik||Pak movie that portrays their military in good light and politicians in bad light. Government of Pak. Has banned this movie.|
|Madame Tussads museum||Four wax statues of PM Modi will be installed in Madame Tussads museum at London, Singapore, Hongkong and Bangkok|
|Harsha Bhogle|| removed from IPL commentator team after his contract expired, BCCI didn’t renew it.|
- PIL was filed in Bombay HC against the waste of water for maintaining pitches, but HC didn’t block matches citing PIL was filled too late to cancel the initial matches. But subsequent matches stopped.
|ICC T20 Worldcup|
- Final match W.Indies (Cpt. Darren Sammy) defeated England at Eden Gardens, Kolkata
- Women W.Indies team (Cpt. Stafanie Taylor) defeated Australia.
- India was defeated by W.Indies in the semifinals.
- Discovery channel’s sr. executive Rahul Joshi becomes the new CEO of BCCI
|Hockey||Azalan Shah Cup being held at Ipoh, Malaysia.|
|Badminton||Malaysia Open being held at Shah Alam, Malaysia.|
|Gymnastics||Dipa Karmakar becomes first Indian to qualify for Olympic gymnasticsVaults events at Rio2016 summer olympics in 2016, August.|
|Laureus sports Awards 2016|
- Held in Berlin, Germany
- Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic (Tennis, Serbia)-top male athelete for second year straight. (overall 3 times won.)
- Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams (Tennis)
- Team of the Year: All Blacks, New Zealand (Rugby)
- Breakthrough of the Year: Jordan Spieth (Golf)
- Comeback of the Year: Dan Carter (Rugby)
- Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Daniel Dias (Swimming)
- Action Sportsperson of the Year: Jan Frodeno (Ironman triathlon)
|F1 Racing||Formula one sports chief Berne Ecclestone made controversial statement, “women drivers are physically unfit to drive F1 racecars.”|
|2020 Tokyo Olympics||Its logo announced a Series of interconnected blue rectangles that form a ring.|
|Archery world cup, Shanghai||Deepika Kumar won bronze.|
|100m dash||Dutee Chand becomes first Indian woman to qualify for 100 meters at RioOlympics in last 20 years. She also broke national record and finished the race within 11.33 seconds.|
- Bollywood Actor Salman Khan selected as brand ambassador for India. Controversy after many athletes criticized this appointment.
- Some French politician accused Tennis star Rafael Nadal of Doping. Nadal filed defamation case against him.
Dead in News
|Chand Kaur||Matriarch of the Namdhari sect and widow of Satguru Jagjit Singh. She was shot dead near Ludhiana.|
|Kamla Advani||Wife of senior BJP leader L.K.Advani|
|Kerala||>100 died in explosion of fireworks at Kollam Temple in Kerala.|
|Mohd. Tanzil Ahmed||Asst. Commandant in BSF, deputed to NIA. Was investigating terror cases in Uttar Pradesh, assassinated.|
|Poornima Arvind Pakvasa||Odissi dancer and freedom fighter who particiated in Dandi March with Gandhi. Worked for tribal in Dangs districts of Gujarat. Nicknamed “Didi of Dangs”.|
|Pratyusha Banerjee||Actress of TV serial Balika Vadhu. Died under mysterious circumstances. Her Boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh is accused of abetting her suicide.|
|Prince Rogers Nelson||American singer from the 70s, famous for funk music, dead.|
|Shaktiman||Dehradun Police horse, died after sustaining injuries from BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi’s Laathicharge.|
|Soran Singh||Sikh lawmakers who was assassinated in Pakistan. Muslim scholar body has demanded government to give him “TamghaIimtiaz” 2nd highest civilian medal in Pak.|
|USA currency makeover||In 2020, USA will include noted women and civil rights leaders in the dollar currency notes such as Martin Luther King Jr, Marrian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt etc.|
Days in News
| 6th April|| 36th foundation day of BJP|
|7th April|| world health day Guj. Govt. launched “Mukhya Mantri Nidaan Yojana” for free pathology lab testing for various diseases.|
- 125th Birth Anniversary of Dr.Ambedkar. UN will also celebrate it on 13th April with the SDG goal of combating inequality.
|17th April||70th Anniversary of International court of justice (ICJ)|
|19th April||UN special session on world drug problem.|
|21st April||Civil Service day of India on this day, Sardar Patel addressed the first batch of civil servants in Independent India at Metcalf House and called them the ‘steel frame of India’.|
|22nd April||World Earth day. India signed Paris Agreement on climate change.|
Next part and last part in the April Current/PIN series: national and international places in news.