- Modi’s Iran Visit
- USA: JASTA, ADONIA, HSPD-6 and Global entry program
- UK: 1st Muslim Mayor of London
- Pakistan: hum nahi sudhrenge
- Bilateral treaties: May-2016
- International Organizations
- International: Misc. developments
- Terrorism and Internal security
- Defense: Risaldar Badlu Singh, VC
- Controversies in News
- So far, we saw polity and environment related to developments from May-2016.
- Now comes the International relations and internal security related developments from May-2016 month.
- This Coverage is brief and devoid of lengthy analysis, keeping in mind the MCQ related angles in CAPF/Banking/SSC exams
- Last Indian PM to visit was Vajpayee. 15 years later Modi makes trip to Iran.
- 2003: Vajpayee announced Chahbahar port development plan.
- 2009: Delaram Zaranj Highway finished.
- 2016, May: Modi visited Iran, signed agreement to spend $500 mil. To develop Chahbahar port infra. This will make it bigger than Iran’s biggest port – Bandar Abbas.
- Chahbahar port will help India penetrate to Central Asian countries such as Turkemistan, Kazakhstan etc.
- More about Chahbahar and Delaram – read this old article
- Modi signed deals with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani for anti-terror intelligence sharing.
- Earlier Iran use to give “Free-shipping” of crude oil, because of international sanction, it couldn’t find many buyers. But after Iran nuke deal, the sanctions are lifted, so now Iran said it’ wont give free shipping of crude oil to India, just like flipkart and amazon don’t give free shipping <Rs.500/- purchase.
- Some of the US Congress opposed to sell F-16 at $700 million discount to Pakistan. Pakistan says won’t pay higher price, may explore building JF-17 thunder jets on its own.
- US-lower house passed bill to stop aid to Pakistan, for its failure to end Haqqani network.
- JASTA: Justice against Sponsers of Terrorism Act. This bill allows 9/11 victims to sue Saudi government in USA. But Saudi thretened to pull out $750 billion investment from USA if this bill is passed. So, Obama ensured them he’ll Veto it, even if passed in both houses.
- US Cruise ship Adonia: It’s the first US cruise ship to enter Cube, since the blockade of 1959 after Cuban Revolution.
- During modi visit in June-2016, following agreements will be signed
- HSPD-6 agreement for terrorist information exchange between US Homeland dept and India’s Intelligence Bureau.
- Global Entry program agreement- whereby India’s VIP will be able to get out of the American airports without immigration hassles.
- SelectUSA- it’s an investment summit in S.Carolina, similar to Vibrant Gujarat summit in India.
- Labour Party’s Sadiq Khan becomes first Muslim mayor of London. He replaced Conservative Party’s mayor Boris Johnson.
- Boris now expected to run for PM candidacy after present conservative PM David Cameroon’s term is over.
- Ex-Maldives President Mohd. Nasheed is given asylum in UK, after facing jail term in his home country on alleged terrorism charges.
- According to new survey, 48.5% of Britons are atheists. Christians are now in minority.
- Abdul Kadir Khan, the father of Pakistan’s nuclear program, he was recently bragging about Pak’s readiness to nuke Delhi in 5 minutes.
- Pakistan approaches UN saying India wrongly portraying Kashmir in its new Geospatial information regulation Bill.
- Pak-Hindu girl Mashal Maheswari had secured 91% in CBSE exam but she couldn’t sit in the AIPMT because she didn’t have NRI or OCI card. But Shushma Swaraj helped her get admission in Karnataka Medical college.
- India had not asked for reciprocal access while granting permission to Pak officials to visit Pathankot airbase. This was done so that Pakistan can’t delay investigation citing technical issues.
- Pak PM Nawaz Sharif, underwent open heart surgery.
|India-UK MLAT||Enforcement directorate to use India-UK Multilateral legal assistance treaty to extradite Vijay Mallaya.|
|India Morocco||Our Vice President Hamid Ansari visited its capital Rabat. Pacts signed for culture-education exchanges.|
|Africa Day||Was to be celebrated on 26th May, but African envoys threatened to skip it because of the ‘Afro-Phobia’- after one of the Congolese youth was murdered in Delhi.|
|Turkey||Capital Ankara. PM Ahmet Davutoglu resigned.|
|Social media and separatism||
|FTII, Pune||It’s new director Bhupendra Kainthola received letter bomb with warning – he should not invite Kanhaiya to this institute.|
|Ali Haider Gilani||
|Interpol Red corner notice||
Next part: Banking and Business-GK developments from May-2016