- BES165/P1: Paris Summit- Outcomes, INDC, Finance, Ratification, Kuznet Curve
- BES165/P2: Clean Energy: Biomass, RDF, Biofuel- classification, extraction Methods, GS3 Achievement of Indians
- BES165/P3: Nuclear Energy, Reactor Types, Kakrapar Incident, NSG-MTCR & other export control groups,
- BES165/P4: Thermal Energy, UJALA, UDAY bonds, Hydrocarbon Policy HELP-2016, DMF, PMKKKY
- Events leading to Paris Summit of UNFCCC
- What is 2 degree above pre-industrial level? Why is 2015 called the warmest year?
- Environmental Kuznet Curve: inverted U-shape curve, CBDR,
- CO2 emission: India’s source wise ranking, world ranking, common but differentiated responsibilities- what decisions were taken in this regard during UNFCCC COP-21 Paris summit?
- Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC): Paris decisions on their submission deadline and non-punitive biennial review mechanism, and its criticism.
- India’s INDC: 1) emission intensity of GDP 2) additional forest cover for carbon sink 3) target of 175 gigawatts of renewable electricity – criticism against India’s INDC
- International climate finance mechanisms, clean technology fund, problems related to double counting and bogus promises by first world countries.
- Green bonds: finance mechanism and bottlenecks observed by the economic survey.
- Coal cess, National adaptation fund for climate change.
- Understanding the difference between signing and ratification. How many parties need to ratify before Paris agreement is implemented? CAPF-2016 question from this.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/rv6Q6pVMjUM
BES165/P2: Clean Energy: Biomass, RDF, Biofuel- classification, extraction Methods, GS3 Achievement of Indians
- Gist of Kurukshetra magazine May 2016 issue on renewable energy sources
- Potential and limitations of solar, wind, biomass, small hydro energy sources in India.
- Difference between biogas, bio-methane and CNG
- Meaning, Evolution and classification of biofuels – first, second and third generation
- Biochemical and thermochemical methods to extract biofuel from biomass. Jetropha and Transesterification
- Mains GS2: Role of NGO, Barefoot college and solar technician women
- Mains GS2: Policy design issues: Unnat Chulha mission/ biomass-cooking stoves
- Mains GS3: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology- with special reference to solar, Biomass and small hydro energy. Prince-40 cooker, IIT-Delhi Bio-CNG kit, Modified Small hydro-plant
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/8egcrg7xuX0
BES165/P3: Nuclear Energy, Reactor Types, Kakrapar Incident, NSG-MTCR & other export control groups,
- Types of nuclear material: fusion vs fissile material
- Types of nuclear reactors: fast breeder reactor, boiling water reactor, pressurised water reactor (PWR), Pressurized heavy water reactor (PHWR), advanced heavy water reactor (AHWR)
- Major nuclear projects in India- which technology to be used, which foreign countries and companies have helped them – memorisation technique.
- 7 point nuclear accident classification of IAEA
- Three stages of India’s nuclear programme. What happened in Kakrapar?
- 4 export control groups: Nuke Supplier Group ‘74 (48 members), Australia Group’85 (42 members), MTCR’ 87 (34 +India=35 members), Wassenaar’96 (41 members)
- Why couldn’t India get membership to NSG? What benefits will India reap by joining MTCR- Missile technology control regime?
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/y9X57a7OWEk
- Thermal electricity in India before and after independence.
- Taxation provisions on sale of electricity.
- Statutory organisations, joint ventures and public sector undertakings under the Power Ministry
- Electricity Act 2003, Open Access policy, Tariff measures, problem of Salience
- Deendayal Upadhyaya GramJyoti (DDUGJY) Budget’14
- Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) Dec’14
- National LED Program, UJALA, DELP, SNLP- introducing LED bulbs in residential use and streetlights.
- Bulb theory: scientific principles behind tungsten bulb, CFL, LED, Gas discharge lamps.
- Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (Uday)- why do electricity companies are making losses? What are Uday bonds? How is cooperative federalism promoted through this scheme?
- Progressive electricity tariff and cross-subsidisation in residential electricity use- Why is survey recommending this?
- Conventional versus unconventional energy gases- shale gas, syngas and CBM, Farzad-B gas reserve
- Hydrocarbon Exploration & Licensing Policy (HELP)-2016: salient features, compare and contrast with previous NELP policy. What is meant by uniform single license, open acreage policy, graded royalty system, profit sharing vs. revenue sharing contracts.
- Metalic and non-metalic Mineral ranking of various states as per IYB-2016 ch. 16
- District Mineral Foundation (DMF), Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojna (PMKKKY)
- 8 core industries under IIP, survey observation on their recovery.