- Food Chain
- What is Trophic Level?
- Type of Food Chains
- Ecological Pyramids
- Types of Pyramids
- Food Web
- Why is Food web important?
- Energy Flow in the Ecosystem
- 2nd law of themodynamics
- Connection: Trophic level vs Energy flow
- DDT and Biomagnification
- Biotic Potential.
- Carrying Capacity
- Interspecies relations
- Predation vs Parasitism
- Free download
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Trophic Levels, Biotic Potential, Bio Magnification & IGNOU Material on Environment and biodiversity (free Download)
- Controversies: Gadgil report
- Contro: “NO” to Dams in Kerala and Karnataka
- Athirappilly Project: Why problem?
- Adar Tribal displacement
- Gundia Project: why problem?
- Contro: R.T.I. stonewallingTM
- Contro: Committee pe Committee.
- Contro: Angry Kerala Government
- Contro: Mining mafias spreading baseless rumors
- Contro: Creation of separate authority (WGEA)
In the last three articles,
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Gadgil report on Western Ghats: Why Controversies, Athirappilly, Gundia Projects: Explained (Part 4 of 4)
- What is Gadgil Panel?
- Ecologically Sensitive Zones (ESZ)
- Western Ghats Ecology Authority (WGEA)?
- Zonal recommendations
- General recommendations
In the last two articles, we saw
- Western Ghats: overview of physical geography and biodiversity: click ME
- Threats to the biodiversity of Western Ghats: click ME
Now moving forward:
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Gadgil Panel report on Western Ghats: recommendations, Ecologically Sensitive Zones (ESZ), WGEA (Part 3 of 4)
- British Raj Exploitation
- Era and Approach
- What is Sacred Groves?
- Exotic Species=BAD4Biodiversity?
- Mining in Western Ghats
- Why Mining =BAD 4Biodiversity?
- Sand Mafias
- Thermal power plants=bad 4Biodiversity?
- Transport and Communication
- Farm Houses + Resorts= Bad 4Biodiversity?
- Construction (Allied) =Bad 4Biodiversity?
- Monoculture Plantation=Bad?
In the previous article, we saw the overview
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Western Ghats: Threats to Biodiversity, Monoculture Plantation, Exotic Species, Sacred Groves (Part 2 of 4)
- What is Western Ghats?
- Administrative Regions
- Western vs Eastern Ghats
- Western Ghat: Forest
- Western Ghats: Rivers
- West Flowing Rivers
- East Flowing rivers
- Western Ghats- Other Names
- Western Ghats: Biodiversity
[EnB]=environment and biodiversity. Western Ghats has been in news because of Gadgil controversy.The whole topic is made
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Western Ghats: Physical Geography, Biodiversity Overview (Part 1 of 4)
These terms are from The Hindu S&T, Nov.2012
- Cold Climate=Big Body size
- Migrantwatch and Seasonwatch.
- Bactrian camels and heavy-chain antibodies
- Ross Sea: Marine Protected Zone
- Lake Vida
- Hedonic Scale Method
- Mock Questions
Cold Climate=Big Body size
For most species of animals, body mass increases the closer you get to the
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Bergmann’s Rule, Migrantwatch, Seasonwatch, Ross Sea Marine Protected Zone, Lake Vida, Chromatophores
- What is Aichi Target?
- Strategic goal A
- Strategic Goal B
- Strategic Goal C
- Strategic Goal D
- Strategic Goal E
Let’s recap what we learned in previous episode.
Earth Summit led to=>
- Biodiversity protection: CBD (Cartagena+ Aichi+Nagoya)
- Reverse Climate Change: UNFCCC (Kyoto+ Copenhagen)
- Sustainable Development: Agenda 21, RIO+20
COP-10 under CBD
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Aichi Targets for Biodiversity Protection under CBD
- What is UNEP?
- Earth Summit?
- What is the connection between UNEP and Earth Summit?
- Kids of Earth Summit
- What is CBD?
- What does CBD want?
- Objective#1: Protect Biodiversity
- Where is the money?
- How does CBD work?
- Mock Questions
What is UNEP?
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
An organization under United Nations. (1972)
Click To Continue reading [EnB] Convention on Biodiversity (CBD): Prologue to Cartagena, Nagoya, Aichi, COP-11
- What is IUCN?
- What is IUCN Red List?
- Limitation IUCN red-list
- What is CITES?
- Why illegal trade of wildlife?
- How does CITES work?
- What is Conference of Parties?
- Criticism, limitation of CITES
- #1: No police of its own
- #2: Non-Native Species
- #3: Appendix are Counterproductive
- #4: Not Comprehensive
- Mock questions on Environment
Click To Continue reading [EnB] IUCN, Red Databook, CITES Agreement : Meaning, Features, Mock Questions for CSAT
- Environment and Biodiversity
- Geography:internal breakup
- Physical Geography
- World Geography
- Indian Geography
Environment and Biodiversity
1. Consider the following statements :
- The Planning Commission of India in its environment performance report, released on 26th July, 2012, ranked Himachal Pradesh as top State in the country on environmental performance index.
- The World Bank
Click To Continue reading [Answerkey] Environment, Biodiversity & Geography Questions UPSC CPF/CAPF 2012 All booklets