- Fast track initiatives: Environment ministry
- Green Law panel
- Fast track environment = dangerous
Fast track initiatives: Environment ministry
Here is a brief summary of the fast track reforms taken by Modi government’s environment ministry, to address the issues of policy paralysis and environmental clearances.
CAMPA Order, 2014
- Will setup CAMPA bodies at union and state level.
- State level bodies will use the CAMPA funds for compensatory afforestation, wildlife protection, village rehabilitation, training-awareness etc.
- National CAMPA body will keep 5% fund aside for monitering schemes etc.
|Webportal||Industries can submit applications online, for Environment and Forest Clearances.
|EIA||For Environment impact assessment, the State level bodies are given more territorial jurisdiction.|
- Ganga Basin covers five states: Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- In these five states, MoEF has ordered the highly polluting Industries to install system to moniter emission and effluents online.
- Overall, India has >3,000 highly polluting industries. Most of them don’t have such online system. MoEF has asked State Pollution Control Boards to implement this by 2015.
- Cement: India is second largest producer of cement. MoEF has tightened the emission norms for Particulate Matter, Sulphur Dioxide, Oxides of Nitrogen, Wastewater and Storm water.
- Under Forest conservation act 1980, MoEF has granted general approval for diverting forest land to widen border roads- for areas within 100 kms of LAC.
- Border road orgazniation will build all these roads.
Under Forest conversation act 1980, MoEF passed following order:
- General approval is given to all road projects- except those in protect forest areas.
- Upto 5 hectares of forest land can be diverted for construction of schools, police station, health centre, telephone lines, water supply etc. total 15 type of projects.
- This will rapidly improve infrastructure and provide economic opportunities for local public. Thus less new recruits for Maoists.
Ref: Summary of this PIB page: pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=109249
Fast track environment clearance is dangerous
As expected, when Environment ministry began fast track approach to Environment clearance, theHindu columnists didn’t like it. NOT ONE BIT. Their arguments are:
- Modi Government has reconstituted National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) without NGO members- as required under Wildlife protection act.
- Government has eased the environment clearance conditions on coal projects. although this will increase coal production and electricity generation -but at expense of environment.
- Forest (Conservation Act), 1980 expressly prohibits conversion of forest land to non-forest use without the Centre’s nod. But MoEF has given general approval to all road-projects in border and naxal areas.
- National forest policy wants 33% forest cover, but presently we have ~21% of area under forest. If MOEF continues with such blanket ‘general approvals’, then forest area will decrease.
- MoEF’s Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) has cleared field-trials for certain GM-crops. But the minutes of the meeting not published.
- Government reduced the public hearing requirements for Environment Impact Assessment (EIA).
- Government has setup green laws review panel under TSR Subramnian. Once they give report, Government will further dilute the provisions of various environmental laws- in guise of promoting Development and economy.
- Government also promised to release a new policy to “speed up eco-clearance’. This too will hurt the environment.
Green Law panel
Chairman: TSR Subramanian, (former Cabinet Secretary) and 3 members whose names and designations are not important for exams.
|Wildlife (Protection) Act||1972|
|Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act||1974|
|Forest ( Conservation) Act||1980|
|Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act||1981|
|Environment (Protection) Act||1986|
- Will also suggest, how to amend existing laws to incorporate various court orders.
- Review amendments to the Wildlife (Protection) Act, to ensure its compliance with Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora ( CITES). The amendments are pending in Rajya Sabha
- Deadline to submit report: 2 months. (Committee was setup in Aug’2014)
Q. Write a note on the importance of Green E-Clearance project. (100 words)
- In recent times, more than 100 infrastructure projects worth Rs.4 lakh crores were stalled due to lack of Environmental clearances.
- National Highways Authority of India had even moved the Supreme Court against the environment ministry for delaying clearances.
- In the backdrop of logjam, the Project Monitoring Group (PMG) decided setup an online portal- Green e-clearance for infrastructure projects.
- It will become operational from July 1, 2014.
- A company can upload all required documents on the website for approval from respective department.
- Company can also check the status of their application.
- Clearances will be awarded within the stipulated time period.
- This will make process of green clearances faster, more predictable; will improve infrastructure and will boost the confidence of entrepreneurs and investors.
Thanks a lot
Sincere request to Shivaram/Mrunal- please take up an article devoted solely to Economics?
Mr. Rajan and Mayaram have been making comments on foreseeing issues related to Fed Tapering like Currency Swap Lines, and other contingencies. Moreover, new committees have been formed and finally- Public Sector banks and their issues + Wilful defaulter etc.
Would be greatly indebted. Thanks!
Mrunal bhai plz agar ho sake toh old History NCERT by Arjun DEV class XII is pdf copy upload kar dijiye
Thank you and heartfelt wishes:)
Forum for Civil Services Aspirants
Civil services aspirants can use this forum for asking questions, discussing questions, syllabus, examination strategy, interview tips, coaching institutes, room sharing, answer writing practice etc. http://www.iupsc.co.in/p/ias-forums.html
RAPS-5 technology is by NPCIL (Nuc Power Corp. of India Ltd.)
Mrunal sir,the menu button in ur Android app is not wrkng since the past few days..pls look in2 ths
Seconded… Please look into this. .
What is “40ht” in forest clearance by REC to projects upto 40 ht??
sir plz upload capf AC answer key…….n wt abt result date ….any idea plzzzzzz reply guys…….
Sir we r waiting for capf answer keys …..plz sir upload answer keys
what is mithun?? i searched for mithun (animal) and it showed mithun chakraborty’s photo…
mithun is kind of cow found in arunachal pradesh n its state animal….acurately it is GAYAL….
is there any chance of posteponig ssc cgl exam 2014 in maharashtr due to loksabha election
Dear sir is there any chance of postponing ssc cgl 2014 exam in maharashtra due to state election
Can anyone pls tell what do u mean by zero line
International border is considered as zero line …. Recently zero Lin elf indo pak is in news coz pak is constructing a railway station near to zero line ….. Acc to international norms construction Within 15 yards of zero line is not allowed
International border is considered as zero line …. Recently zero Line of indo pak is in news coz pak is constructing a railway station near zero line ….. Acc to international norms construction Within 15 yards of zero line is not allowed
@Mrunal and @all
Can any one tell me the +ve and -ve implications of 100% FDI in defence sector
Positive : Already our major portion of weapons were imported, so the fact that 100% fdi will be a security threat seems absurd. we will make weapons on our homeland. we will be welcoming technology and dollars .more jobs. these reluctant attitude can cost huge to nation, so lets go for it. this is 21st century, more weapons presence is more like invoking fear and fair attitude among our counterparts (last 2 fillers). negative : are you serious ? this is huge security threat ? . why cant we focus more on our indigenous weapon creators and mars mission is the example for not moving ahead in this arena. huge benefit to foreign manufacturers , our own manufacturers will vanish .
1. Foster technology Transfer
2. Learning process for young engineers and other related stakeholders in defence sector.
3. Enhance the credibility of defense materials developed via foreign investment route.
4. Ease of doing business will gain traction
5. Boost to other related indigenous industries including back-end infra, logistics, mining et al thus giving boost to employment, social status
6. India’s standards and protocols (sometimes regarded as sub-standard) will be streamlined with global standards and improve her credibility- less inspection- money saved
7. India will gain mileage in global politics, defence and security
1. Defence strategic sector- may jeopardise security–risky as non state actors role will be facilitated
2. batteries of middlemen will be introduced
3. chances of corruption , kickbacks to win contracts for investment
4. setback to indigenous entrepreneurs who are at nascent stage
5. complexities in business procedures dealing with defence sector investment
middle-path– lesser than 100% FDI , a strong autonomous body (free from executive interference)to handle FDI clearance and related procedure.
Help me to add up more…
Few more Positives :-
1) Delays in acquisition,escalating costs can be avoided
2) When its a local industry – assured availability of maintenance contracts,spare parts at a later date when the technology actually gets outdated
3)Probability of planting bugs exists in the imported armaments ->(Lots of software involved in drones/ fighter jets…).Reliability is more when locally manufactured under standardised monitoring framework
sir, when can we have write to win article series?, they were immensely helpful last year!
Wonderfully written sir..Thnaks a ton!
Can anyone help me in differentiating between ANMs and ASHAs…
Anm : Any nurse in govt/private hospital having a diploma. receiving all benefits including pension too. entered service through recruitment process. specialized . can handle majority day to day affair in hospitals (salute to them). there working arena remains inside hospitals or special camps along with doctors.
Asha : accredited social health activist, choosen by gram panchayat. look after family planning (her role is more socialistic not specialist ), help women in village, help child immunization. she remains in contact with nearest govt hospital. she recieves monthly 1000 (or 600 or 1400) rs . she help availing all immunization medicines to village delivered under NRHM . she is woman among the lady gang of the village . she also prepares record and submit it to authority whenever asked. (also salute to them coz, they connected vulnerable section to state ‘take care of people’ policy)
Thanku Caligua :)
Puj@ ji are you appearing for main?
If yes what is your optional
hilarious name… !:)
my optional is sociology..
anyone who knows when will the result of prelims come??
will it be bout by start of october???
I am not able to register for the Uttrakhand PCS. Whenever I finish the form, it says “Error! You used special characters that are not allowed in the form.”
Albeit I didn’t use any special characters, I keep on getting this message whenever I try to register.
Is anyone facing a similar issue?
MAY B OCTOBER
did you reply to my question?
Is it by october mid or start of the october or after anytime in october?
UPSC WEBSITE NOT WORKING FOR LAST 1hr.
Mrunal sir, please write about the “Make in India” camapaign that is to be launched on 25th september 2014.
Sir, how much possibilities to be selected only two post of cgl viz. ED & CBI.
100% possibility. As someone is surely going to be selected.
Could u please provide the list of important acts in different areas so that we could prepare it topic wise.
plz update with the recommendations of TS Subbu Panels Report