- UPSC vs RAS
- Analysis of RAS-2012 prelims
- Rajasthan’s history and culture
- Indian History n Culture
- Environment and Biodiversity (EnB)
- Economy of Rajasthan
- Science & Technology
- Current Affairs and PIN
- Reasoning & Mental Ability
- Appendix: Free study material, Download links
- Exam related Technical details:
- RAS Specific Study material
- NCERT and NIOS (Essential/Core)
- India yearbook
- NCERT and NIOS (Peripheral)
UPSC vs RAS
first let’s see how RAS is different from UPSC preliminary exam.
Total 4 hours and 200 questions.
|Only single paper that contains both General studies + Aptitude questions.
3 hours, 150 questions.
|Mains||Separate essay paper||No|
||Single paper that’ll contain 120 marks worth Hindi and 80 marks worth English =total 200 marks.|
|Four papers of General studies.
4 x 250=1000 marks.
|Three papers of general studies. 3 x 200=600 marks.|
|One optional subject (two papers)||No optional subjects.|
|No||GS(Mains) paper contains maths, reasoning and statistics in its syllabus.|
Analysis of RAS-2012 prelims
Entire question paper available in a separate article click me
Unlike the UPSC CSAT-2013 paper, the RAS-2012 prelims paper had following differences:
- Very few Economy questions and all of them based on current affairs, number based.
- Very few Qs on polity and all of them centered on current affairs / Rajasthan.
- Environment biodiversity matter mostly GK and Rajasthan based.
- Science forms a major part, and mostly based on direct theory from conventional books.
- Current affairs form a significant part- including person in news, awards, events etc.
Although, this time RAS has changed syllabus, included aptitude within GS Prelims paper. So, it remains to be seen whether they continue the old ways or not. Anyways, let’s see how to approach individual topics as per the syllabus
Rajasthan’s history and culture
Start with the Social science / history textbooks of Rajasthan State education board. You can freely download them from http://rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in/books/index.htm
If you look at the syllabus of history in Rajasthan University, Jaipur:
- BA History part 1=> paper 2 is about all History of Rajasthan (from Ancient to 1956).
- MA History paper 5: Main trends in History and Culture of Rajasthan
And as long as there are BA/MA history courses in Government colleges, there will be readymade guidebooks/digests for the individual papers, right?
So I suggest you visit the bookstores dealing with college books, and inquire for the guidebooks for above papers- that should serve as your ‘base’ material.
Since RAS got hundreds of vacancies this time, the unscrupulous elements will recycle the same content from such BA/MA books and sell it as ‘study-material’ for Rs.2000/5000/7000 rupees depending on your desperation. So apply your head, always stick to standard reference books- they’re cheaper and more reliable for competitive exams.
- Visit the sitemap of Rajasthan Government’s tourism website. All these topics are covered in detail. (http://www.rajasthantourism.gov.in/Home/SiteMap.aspx)
- You’ll also find scattered information in NIOS’s culture course, NCERTs, plus in Rajasthan state education board’s textbooks.
Here is the list of syllabus topics that you need to prepare:
- Salient features of Architecture – Forts and Monuments
- Arts, Paintings and Handicrafts.
- Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dances.
- Rajsathani Culture, Traditions and Heritage.
- Important Tourist Places.
- Major Landmarks in the History of Rajasthan, Major Dynasties, their Administrative and Revenue System. Socio-cultural Issues.
- Freedom Movement , Political Awakening and Integration
- Religious Movements, Saints& Lok devtas of Rajasthan.
- Leading Personalities of Rajasthan.
- Important Works of Rajasthani literature. Local Dilects
Indian History n Culture
This topic can be subdivided into
|Ancient||Harappa, Vedic age etc.|
|Medieval||Delhi Sultanate, Mughal dynasty etc.|
|Modern||British Raj, freedom struggle etc.|
|Culture||Jainism, buddism, culture, literature, panting, dance, music etc.|
- If you look at the old papers of RAS, the Indian history related MCQs are mostly “General knowledge” type.
- For example who defeated whom and when?
- So, in that regard NCERTs (under new syllabus) won’t be of much help. Because they don’t dwell much into such GK. (Although there is no harm in reading them, but on has to consider the time constrain).
- Besides, you’ve to Rajasthan state education board’s textbooks for social science /history for preparing Rajasthan’s history and culture anyways. And even in those Rajasthan state board textbook, India’s history will be covered. If you need additional reference, consult General studies manual, otherwise just leave it there.
- for Indian culture, use NIOS course material.
- For modern history, go for “A brief History of Modern India” by spectrum publication. It’ll also help for the mains as well. same book available in Hindi medium under title “Adhunik Bharat Ka Etihas, Spectrum”
- Bipin Chandra is also good, if you’ve the time and mood.
|As per upsc syllabus||As per RAS syllabus|
|Broad Physical features||NCERT Class 6: chapter 2 to 6
NCERT Class 11: 3 to 7
|Environmental and Ecological Issues.||Separate strategy given under the heading “Environment and Biodiversity”.|
|International Waterways||NCERT Class 11, Chapter 13 and 14.
Class 12 (Fundamentals of Human Geography) Chapter 8.
|Major Industrial Regions||Class 12 (Fundamentals of Human Geography) Chapter 6.|
||NCERT Class 6, Ch.7
NCERT Class 9, Ch.1, 2 and 4
NCERT Class 11, Ch.1, 2
||For this, you should refer following chapters from NCERT Geography and Science textbooks.
||NCERT Class 10 ch. 6 and 8|
||NCERT Class 10 Ch.7
NCERT Class 12 (India people & Economy) Ch.10
||NCERT Class 10 Ch.1|
||Separate strategy given under the heading “Environment and Biodiversity”.|
Geography of Rajasthan
- In the NCERTs chapters under “Indian geography”, you’ll find scattered information about Rajasthan. Note it down separately.
- India Yearbook: refer to chapter 30: State and union territories =>Rajasthan. You’ll find overview of Rajasthan’s geography, irrigation etc. But for MCQs, that information alone will not suffice.
- Therefore, Use Rajasthan State education board textbooks (preferably from Class 7 to 12) related to Social science and geography subjects and prepare the following topics.
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Natural Resource of Rajasthan-
- Climate, Natural Vegetation, Forests, Wildlife and Bio-diversity
- Major irrigation projects.
- Mines and Minerals.
- Major Industries and Potential for Industrial Development.
Additional preparation for Rajasthan geography:
||Chapter 15 Rajasthan State Five year plan.|
||Raj. Mineral department’s official website
On the left hand side, there is a menu title “mineral information”, read the articles posted under it.
Also prepare the overview/salient features of Rajasthan’s Mineral Development policy.
||Use google to dig out SEZs and towns of export excellence in Rajasthan.|
Environment and Biodiversity (EnB)
- Unlike UPSC, the RAS doesn’t contain separate topic of Environment and Biodiversity, but it is listed as a sub-topic, under World, Indian and Rajasthan’s geography.
- However, it should be separately prepared because
- Even in RAS-prelims-2012, there were quite a few questions from Rajasthan related environment related topics.
- it comes again in the mains syllabus and in past mains exams, they’ve asked direct questions such as Explain environmental benefits of organic farming, Explain Eutrophication and so on.
- The foundation material for Environment biodiversity is NIOS (National institute for open schooling.)
- Also refer to following chapters of NCERT textbooks.
|NCERT Geography textbooks||NCERT Other subject Textbooks|
Additionally prepare the objective/targets/salient features of following policies:
- Also visit Rajasthan Renewable Energy Corporation’s website (rrecl.com) and make the list of projects and schemes.
- for wildlife sanctuaries, national parks list, visit Rajasthan forest Department’s page: http://rajforest.nic.in/?q=national-parks-and-sanctuaries-in-rajasthan
- for information on wildlife in individual national parks: http://www.rajasthanwildlife.in/
For let me list the unconventional topics from the RAS syllabus (free downloads @bottom)
|e-Commerce||IGNOU MA Public Administration chapter on E-commerce.|
Now coming to the conventional topics of economy: For RAS prelims, Economy is subdivided into three parts
- Basic concepts
- Indian Economy
- Rajasthan’s Economy
For topic #1 and #2, the sources are
- NCERT Class 11, 12 (free download links @bottom).
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh (TMH Publication). Same Book in Hindi under title “Bhartiya Arthvyavastha, Ramesh Singh”
- newspaper, magazines.
|Subtopics as per official syllabus||How to prepare?|
Basic Concepts of Economics16
Indian Economic Development & Planning
||Contains scattered topics for example inflation, rupee depreciation, Foreign investment, IIP etc. so go through:
||NCERT Class 11 Indian Economic Development.|
Human Resource and Economic Development
||Covered under my summary of Economic Survey ch13. available on Mrunal.org/economy|
||Ramesh Singh chapter 22
Mrunal’s summary of Economic survey ch.13.
||Covered under Mrunal’s summary of Economic Survey ch13.|
You’ll have to again face these topics as GS Mains paper 1 under “Economic Concepts and Indian Economy”. Although in mains some new topics will also come for example Issue of NPA, Financial Inclusion, Tax Reforms in India, concept of Money supply. But pretty much all of them covered in the combination of: NCERT, Ramesh singh, Mrunal.org/economy
Economy of Rajasthan
For this, primary reference sources are
- Budget speech of CM
- Rajasthan’s Five year plan documents.
Additionally prepare the salient features of following:
- Rajasthan Industrial and Investment Policy
- Policy for the Registration and Protection of Geographical Indications of Goods in Rajasthan
- Rajasthan’s Mineral Development policy
While you read these topics, do make notes because same content is repeated in the syllabus of GS (Mains) paper 1 and 3.
|Prelim topics||How to prepare?|
|Macro overview of Economy.||Goto Rajasthan Government ‘s finance department website and Read following PDFs from Budget 2013-14:
Also Chapter 1 of Rajasthan state five year plan.
|Major Agricultural, Industrial and Service Sector Issues.||Chapter 10,11 and 15-18 of Rajasthan’s Five year plan.|
|Growth, Development and Planning.||Chapter 2,3 and 4 of Rajasthan state five year plan.|
|Infrastructure & Resources.||10, 16, 17, 18|
|Major Development Projects.||Chapter 7 and 8 of Rajasthan state five year plan.|
|Programmes and Schemes-||
As per the RAS prelims syllabus, polity can be further classified into
- Indian Constitution related conventional topics e.g. Government of India Acts: 1919 and 1935, Nature of Indian Constitution; Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State, Fundamental Duties, Federal Structure, Constitutional Amendments, etc.
- Indian Political System and Governance e.g. CVC, NHRC etc.
- Rajasthan state related polity e.g. CM, state assembly, HC etc.
For topic #1 and 2 listed above, read Indian polity by M.Laxmikanth. For Hindi medium, the same book is available under the title “Bharat ki Rajyavyavstha, M.Laxmikanth”.
How to efficiently read M.Laxmikanth?
- First you read the chapter on President, Vice President and immediately move to the chapter on governor. Then read on Emergency provisions.
- Read chapter on PM and cabinet, then move to CM and state council of Ministers.
- Chapter on “Parliamentary system” and then directly to parliament, but after budget topic is done pause this chapter and move to on CAG. Then come back and resume the chapter on parliament.
- Once parliament is finished, move to State legislative assembly.
- Supreme Court and then High court, tribunals.
- Attorney Gen =>Advocate General
- UPSC =>State PSC
- Finance Commission =>Planning Commission=>National Development council
- Now Centre State relation and Interstate relations.
- Election Commission=> chapter on election, Anti-defection
- All the National Commissions on Women, SC, ST,OBC, CVC, Lokpal and so on.
Once ^this is done. Move to
- Citizenship, Fundamental rights, DPSP, duties.
- Amendment of Constitution=> preamble
- Jammu Kashmir => Scheduled and Tribal Areas.
- UT, Panchayati Raj, municipalities
After ^this is done. Read whatever chapters are remaining. Ultimately
- Appendix for union-state-concurrent list, table of precedence etc.
- the mock MCQ questions given in Laxmikant.
Rajasthan state polity/administration
|District Administration||Prepare the basic concepts, prepare chapter 15 to 18 from IGNOU BA Public Administration course code: BPAE-102. Because the same concent will also re-appear under GS Mains paper 1, subtopic “Administrative System of Rajasthan”.
Also using internet find following:
After independence, many parts were merged in Rajasthan state during 48-56.
RAS-prelims-2012, also contained question about it. So, prepare that list from:
Rajasthan Public Policy
- For preliminary exam, public policy is a very vague topic for framing MCQs, unless they enter in GK type question for example: Rajasthan Forest policy was enacted in which year?
- or they might ask you MCQs from salient features of various policy but then there are so many polices, it starts becomes very time consuming to finish the syllabus.
- However, keeping the other topics from prelims and mains in mind, I would suggest you atleast prepare the salient features of policies given below.
- Rajasthan Industrial and Investment Policy
- Policy for the Registration and Protection of Geographical Indications of Goods in Rajasthan
- Mineral Development policy
- Rajasthan State Environment Policy 2010
- Rajasthan State Forest Policy 2010
- Policy for providing generation of Electricity from Biomass
Agriculture/ rural Development related:
- State Water Policy
- State Livestock Development Policy
- Policy for Promotion of Agro-Processing and Agri-Business, 2010
- Sector Policy for Rural Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Rajasthan’s Biotech Policy
- Rajasthan’s IT Policy
- you can download policy documents from www.rajasthan.gov.in/rajgovt/actnpolicies/actnpolicies.html
- You don’t have to read the entire policy documents, just concentrate on the overview/salient-features/objectives of said policy and prepare notes out of it, for quick revision during Mains preparation.
Let’s move to next subtopic under polity:
Rajasthan Citizen charter and Legal rights
For Legal Rights,
Prepare the salient features/overview/objectives of following:
- Rajasthan Guaranteed Delivery of Public Services Act, 2011
- The Rajasthan Right to Hearing Act, 2012
For Citizen Charter
basics explained here
And for Rajasthan so far 32 departments have already issued such charters. And Divisional Commissioner is empowered to transfer an employee, if he/she is found negligent in implementation of citizen charters. (Although it’d be waste of time to prepare 32 department’s citizen charters for prelims, so better just ignore or may be prepare a few big ones example state department for agriculture, social-justice, tourism etc. keeping the mains syllabus in mind.)
Science & Technology
- The science technology (including environment-biodiversity), forms a significant part of Prelims as well as mains.
- In the RAS mains exam syllabus, GS Paper II worth 200 marks revolves around just two topics 1) Aptitude 2) Science-Tech.
- anyways, for the moment let’s just concentrate on the topics to be prepared for prelims:
- NCERT Class 7 to 10 science textbooks
- relevant chapters in Rajasthan’s five year plan and policies.
- (optional) Spectrum’s book on Science and Technology. Also available in Hindi medium under the title Vigyan Evum Prodhyogiki, Spectrum Editorial board
|Official syllabus topic||How to prepare?|
|Basics of Everyday Science.||
|Electronics, Computers, Information and Communication Technology (ICT).||
|Space Technology including Satellites.||
|Human body, Food and Nutrition, Health care||
|Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering||
|Development of Science and Technology in Rajasthan.||
Also prepare salient-features/objectives of following policies
Current Affairs and PIN
Official syllabus mentions following:
- Major Current Events and Issues of State(Rajasthan), National and International
- Persons and Places in recent news
- Games and Sports related Activities
In 2012’s RAS prelims paper, we can see lot of current affairs questions were asked.
How to prepare national/international current affairs?
- Goto library, read whatever competitive magazine you get (CST, Pratiyoigta, Chronicle, Wizard) and note down important things in loose pages then file them under separate categories (person in news, books-authors, sports, international summit etc.).
- I’ve already published compilation for important persons in news, books-authors and sport from 2012 upto March 2013.
copy paste it in MS Word file and keep editing, updating as new developments take place.
Current Affairs Rajasthan
- for this, you should follow a local daily newspaper.
- but in such newspapers, usually they tend to focus on masala and gossip news, cricket,Bollywood,local politics etc. but from exam point of view such things are not very important.
- from the newspaper, keep a habit of noting down following things in a separate file:
Persons/places in news
Reasoning & Mental Ability
For reasoning, the book remains same as usual:
A modern Approach to Verbal and Non-verbal reasoning by Dr. RS Aggarwal (S.Chand Publication).
First finish the topics listed in the official syllabus:
Logical Reasoning (Deductive, Inductive, Abductive)
|Topics as per official syllabus.||Approach|
||RS Aggarwal’s book: Section II (Logical deduction), chapter No. 2 to 8.|
- If the time permits, also go through the first chapter (logic/syllogism)
- If you’ve already MK Pandey’s Book (analytical reasoning) as part of your SBI PO preparation, then first understand the theory from part I of his book and then use RS Aggarwal as practice work.
- For additional practice, you may also use previous years IBPS/Bank PO papers.
|Topics as per official syllabus.||Approach (RS Aggarwal’s book)|
||Chapter 5 and 6|
||Non-verbal reasoning section: chapter 4,7,14.|
- In above topics, there is hardly any theory or formulas. The only way to attain speed and accuracy is through practice. So do all the sums from those chapters of his book.
- Once this is done, also get an overview of other chapters of his book as well.
Reasoning For GS Mains!
- Curiously, RAS even has reasoning topic in its GS (Mains) Paper 2 syllabus.
- It contains all of the topics mentioned above + Venn Diagrams.
- For Venn Diagrams, do following Chapter #9 of RS Agarwal. But it only deals with Logical venn diagram and not maths based venn diagrams (e.g. in a society 30 people drink coffee and 40 drink tea then..) so for that type maths based Venn diagrams, either refer NCERT maths class 11 chapter 1 or go through your quantitative aptitude book.
- The syllabus mentions very basic level topics.
- Use whatever book you’ve for quantitative aptitude (RS Aggarwal, Tyra, Sarvesh Kumar anything is fine) and prepare topic listed in the official syllabus viz.
|Official syllabus||What to prepare?|
|Elementary knowledge of Mathematical analysis.||Practice BODMAS, surds-indices related questions|
|Statistical Analysis||Averages. + Basic formulas for mean, median and mode and definition based question. For this refer NCERT Class 11 Statistics, Chapter 1 to 4.|
|Number System||HCF, LCM, remainders.|
|Order of Magnitude||Comparison of fraction. NCERT Class 7 Chap 2, 9.|
|Ratio and Proportion||NCERT Class 8 Chap 13. then practice sums from your quantitative aptitude book.|
|Percentage, Simple and Compound Interest||All these can be easily solved once your basic concepts of % is clear. go through Mrunal.org/aptitude|
|Data Analysis (Tables, Bar diagram, Line graph, Pie-chart).||
- Do not just stop ^here. Because the RAS Mains GS paper II also has maths topics in its syllabus- Including Time and Work, Time, Speed and Distance, area-volume-perimeter! So while you’re in the momentum, try to finish them as well.
- Don’t just read the sums, solve them on your own. Otherwise in the exam, you’ll make silly mistakes while plugging the values in the equations and silly mistakes in calculations.
- do maintain a diary: whatever formulas, shortcut techniques, special type of questions you come across, note them here. Even note down whatever mistakes you make while solving sums- to prevent them from happening in future.
- Good or bad, whatever was your experience with UPSC CSAT 2013, leave it there and start preparation with a fresh mind.
- Don’t be in overconfidence that just because I’ve cracked xyz exam earlier so this is a pappu exam for me. Competition is merciless, reading-revision is necessary.
- If you’ve applied for this exam, then focus on your studies only. Don’t waste time in day-dreaming, facebook, orkut, random net surfing, chatting, TV, cricket, weddings of distant relatives etc. Time-pass activities will always be there, but once you cross the age-limit, there is no restart button. (This rule applies to all competitive exams.)
- When you get bored reading General studies, then solve maths / reasoning questions. when you get bored with maths / reasoning, then resume your General studies preparation.
- I can’t do maths or I can’t do science, yeh mujse nahi hoga, woh mujse nahi hoga= these are all losers’ excuses. I’m not from a good college/ I’m not from English medium =these are all inferiority complexes. Success in Government recruitment exams only depends on your score in written exam and interview. So, avoid losers’ excuses and inferiority complexes and commit yourself to the hardwork and leave rest in the hands of God.
Free study material, Download links
RAS Exam related Technical details:
courtesy: Mr.csl80 for these details.
2012’s prelim paper
|Mains papers of 2008 and 2010||https://files.secureserver.net/0sU4TvbvGiB72C|
|Cutoffs for 2012’s Prelims||Go to this link and download whatever PDFs you require:
|Notification for 2013’s Exam|
|Press Note regarding reforms in RAS exam|
RAS Specific Study material
1.Rajasthan’s Five year plan document
3.Accountancy and related material
NCERT and NIOS (Essential/Core)
Go to following link: https://mrunal.org/download
You’ll find the material organized in various folders. Click on individual folder and download zip files. Here is the description about the contents of individual folder:
- Earlier government used to upload free PDF files for India yearbook (e.g. India 2010, India 2011 etc.)
- But for the RAS prelims, you should prepare a few static topics for it, from MCQ point of view. so, just download the India 2011 edition click me
And read chapter following chapters
- 1.Land and the People
- 2.National Symbols
- 3.The Polity (for polity)
- 20 Justice and Law (for polity segment)
- 30. State and UT (for geography related questions, also give specification attention to Rajasthan topic under it.)
- Majority of these PDF files provides direct copying of text. => That means you can use Mrunal’s autonotemaker to quickly make notes and mindmaps out of it, just use mouse cursor to highlight a particular line /phrase and my software will copy its text in a separate file. for more instructions click me
- Foxit PDF reader. (necessary prerequisite for using Mrunal’s autonotemaker) click me
NCERT and NIOS (Peripheral)
all of them available in following link: read them as per your time and mood https://mrunal.org/download
RAS MAINS STRATEGY???
Please write a article on strategy for RAS 2017 . After 2013 no article has been written for RAS exam .
Please consider .
sir please share the strategy for RAS in the coming year.
Sir, words are not enough to thank you for these details and gear ups. These things would be as helpful as an excellent teacher.
Thanks a lot for this
Please Provide the Rajasthan PTET Syllabus 2018
Kindly share the ras strategy for recent pattern.waiting for response.
Sir., please update the post as the syllabus has been revised
Sir… Please update the post on the syllabus has been revised…..
And upload previous year question papers.
Sir can you update this post according to the new syllabus. It would be great helpful for the students
Please provide strategy for upcoming RAS exam
Please share a complete strategy for UPSC CSE 2023-24.