To apply for UPSC Civil Services (IAS/IPS) Examination, a candidate….
- Must be a graduate. No minimum %, grade or CGPA required in college. (But don’t prepare UPSC by neglecting college because in RBI/CAT-exams they consider college marks)
- There are Toppers with ATKT, failures in college/school exams. UPSC doesn’t care. They only need final graduation certi/marksheet.
- Undergraduate in last year, last semester can apply.
- American degrees valid but have to get equivalent cert. from AIU.
- Distance education degree valid- IF recognized by UGC/AICTE/any Law
- MBBS must have completed internship before UPSC Interview-stage comes.
Age / Attempt limit in UPSC IAS/IPS?
- Age is counted on the 1st August of the given year.
- Physical Disabled candidates’ age limits: PH-Gen: 42, PH-OBC (non-Creamy): 45 years; PH-SC/ST: 47 years. This is cumulative ST ex-serviceman who was disabled: 32 +5 (ST) +5 (Ex serviceman) + PH (10)=52 years. But such cumulative effect will apply till maximum upper age limit 56 years, as per this DoPT Notification.
- * PH (GEN | OBC) = 9 attempts while PH (SC | ST) = Unlimited Attempts, till upper age.
- Ex-serviceman: addl. +5 years| Attempt depend on category.
J&K domicile = addl. +5 yearremoved from 2020 exam-cycle.
Apply online: 7th Feb to 3rd March 2018
- You’ve to indicate optional subject in online Prelim-form. You can’t change it afterwards during Mains form.
- Marksheet, Caste Certi not required at this stage.
Stage1- Prelims / CSAT: 3rd June, 2018
- Multiple choice Question (MCQ) Test. Two papers 1) General Studies 2) Aptitude. No optional paper here.
- Question paper is set in English and Hindi.
- if you apply online but remain absent in prelims, then your attempt is not counted.
Stage2- Mains: 29th Sep. 2018 onwards (five days)
- When you clear prelims, You’ll have to fill up a new separate (online) form called “Detailed Application form” (DAF).
- In this online DAF-form, Your optional subject will be pre-selected from prelim form, hence you can’t change.
- Along with DAF-you’ll have to give proof of graduation, caste, PH.
- Mains contains Seven Descriptive Papers; including one optional subject paper.
Stage3- Interview, Dates undecided
Can be given in any language. But advisable to give in Hindi/English otherwise 1) Leaves Poor impression 2) Translator eats up time/ reduces impact of your answer.
- Coaching / Delhi-Stay is NOT essential to clear Prelims. Many toppers managed without coaching, by self study!
- First, Start with NCERT Textbooks Topicwise (Free Download)
- Observe Previous years Topicwise Papers; so unnecessarily Time is not wasted in wrong direction.
Paper-I: General Studies- Syllabus, Structure
- 100 MCQs x 2 marks = 200 Marks
- -0.66 Marks penalty for wrong answers
- Duration: 2 hours
- Marks Counted for Mains selection, but not in final selection
History & Culture
- New-NCERT, TN-Class:11/12, NIOS (Free)
- Nitin Singhania’s Book on Culture: Hindi/English
- Ms.Ishani Pandya (Rank-502) Lectures on Culture
- Pratik Nayak’s Lectures on Freedom Struggle
- Spectrum: Modern History (Hindi | English)
World History, Post-Independence:They’re in Mains. First finish pre-syllabus. don’t bite more than you can chew.
Current Affairs (समसामयिकी)
- Mrunal ‘s PIN (Persons In News series)
- Newspaper: TheHindu | Indianexpress
- Magazines: Yojana | Kurukshetra | DrishtiIAS
Paper-II: Aptitude- Syllabus, Structure
- 80 MCQs x 2.5 marks = 200 Marks
- -0.83 Marks penalty for wrong answers
- Duration: 2 hours
- Marks Not counted in Mains-Selection. Only 33% passing marks have to be scored.
Reasoning, Arrangement, Blood Relations
- High level reasoning: Analytical Reasoning by M.K.Pandey (BSC Publication)
- Routine Topics: R.S.Aggarwal OR Reasoning by B.S. Sijwalii (any one)
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K.Pandey
- Newspaper, Magazines, Old Papers
English Language, Verbal Ability
Not asking since the agitation by Hindi Madyaam candidates. But has to be prepared for Compulsory English Paper @Mains-stage anyways.
Difficult to explain all the nuances of UPSC Prelims-Cum Mains preparation, Notes making, Time management etc. in a single web-page! Please go through following Lecture for detailed strategy :)Mrunal