A Question asked by many readers:
“I’ve done graduation from foreign university. Is my degree valid for UPSC IAS/IPS exam or not?”

Yes, your degree is valid, but you need to get an equivalent certificate from  ASSOCIATION OF INDIAN UNIVERSITIES .

  1. Essentially, once you get your degree from the US or any foreign university, go to the High Commission of India in that country and get the photocopy of your US/foreign degree attested by them.
  2. Next, send this photocopy as well as your transcripts photocopies to the Foreign Degrees Evaluation Section at the AIU together with a demand draft of Rs. 5000 (that’s what they hold equivalent to USD 100).
  3. send photocopies of your matriculation as well as 10+2 certificates.
  4. Within a week you will receive an equivalence certificate from AIU.

    Alternatively, you may directly visit AIU in New Delhi. Present him the originals and a set of photocopies of degree and transcripts together with your matriculation and +2 certificates. Also, attach Rs. 5000 DD. You may be able to get your certificate within a couple of days in this case.

  5. The AIU has a big book which has a list of all the foreign universities recognised in India. If you are from a reputable US university, then undoubtedly it will be in that list. If the university is in the list, the procedure is fast. If not, then they will take more time to issue the certificate.
  6. Unfortunately, the AIU has not displayed the list of approved foreign universities online. It seems they bank on this information asymmetry to get the ridiculously high fee of Rs. 5000 for just an equivalence certificate. But all reputable US/UK/Foreign universities are there in the list.
  7. Also, problem of equivalence is more for degrees like Medicine and Law. If it’s engineering or other courses, it’s easy to get the equivalence certificate.
  8. It is difficult to say if UPSC accepts or rejects Mains forms in the absence of Equivalence Certificate. My suggestion is to just do one’s homework and follow the prescribed path to avoid panic and trouble if one is close to making it.
  9. Hope this information is helpful to all those studying overseas and hoping to appear for UPSC/Other competitive examinations in India.
  10. Also, there are no hard and fast rules. Different organisations make different provisions for admitting candidates. For instance, recently I appeared for RBI examination for Economist Position in their Department of Economic Affairs and Policy.
  11. They required a Masters degree in Economics for that. In my case, my Bachelor’s degree has an equivalence certificate. My masters degree arrived only recently from overseas.
  12. RBI was happy to just seek a photocopy of my degree and transcripts and happily established their own equivalence and issued me an admit card. So, organisations know that overseas candidates are coming back and applying for jobs as well. They are making room for allowing candidates to appear for these exams.

Ref: Self experience of member on indianofficer forum