- #1: National Air quality index (AQI): WHY?
- #2: SAFAR
- #3: Smog sucker Chinese Parafoil drone
- #4: Pthalates, Airfresheners and Pollution
- Mock Questions
National Air quality index (AQI): WHY?
- Mains Relevance: GS3: Environmental Pollution.
- Part of the Swatch Bharat Abhiyan, Modi wants to inform public about the pollution and its ill-effects.
- Presently, Government agencies publish air-quality data with technical-jargon like PM2.5, PM10. Common man cannot understand.
- The new Airquality index (AQI) will use color-coded table to show air-quality and its effect on health. Thus even common man can understand easily. Their USP being “One Number- One Colour-One Description.”
Features of new AQI
- Who? Environment and Central Pollution control board. (2014, October.)
- Will be monitor air quality in 46 cities having above 10 lakh population + all state capitals.
- After 5 years, entire India will be monitored.
- Earlier index only monitored three parameters. New AQI will monitor 8 type of pollutants
- For short-term 24 hours averaging period.
|PM10||Coarse Pollutants with a diameter of 10 microns or less. Mostly from dust and smoke. Create breathing difficulty particularly among asthma patients and elderly.|
Based on above 8 pollutant levels, the air quality of given city, will be classified into following 6 color-coded categories.
|2.satisfactory||51-100||Minor Breathing discomfort to sensitive people.|
|3.Moderately polluted||101-200||Breathing discomfort to asthma patents, elderly and children.|
|4.poor||201-300||Breathing discomfort to all|
|5.Very poor||301-400||Respiratory illness on prolonged exposure.|
|6.Severe||401-500||Health impact even on light physical work. Serious impact on people with heart/lung disease.|
Criticism of new Air Quality Index
- Since 90s, industrial units have to install instruments to measure air-quality and send data to state pollution control boards. If too much pollution =>unit will be shut down.
- But Industrial units deliberately using India-made (faulty) machines to measure PM2.5. So reported number is less than actual pollution.
- Such Instrument manufacturers only need to declare “self-certification” that their machine meets quality standards. Government not doing checks on such products, by itself. (counter-argument: it’ll lead to inspector raj and bribery).
- They’ve prepared one index to be used uniformly for Entire India. We need separate indexes for residential vs industrial areas; cities vs towns vs villages.
- For example: in village air, methane high due to open compost pits and animal husbandry. YET under this index, village air-quality will be “good”, because methane not monitored.
- Doesn’t monitor Benzene. Benzene is a carcinogen chemical from Petrol and diesel. USA monitors its level.
- Mere informing the citizens through a color-coded table = insufficient. Need to include conditional safety protocols in it.
- For example, In China- if air quality index reaches red level, they shut down primary schools. Counter argument: Under US embassy’s Air quality index, Delhi is in purple category=one step more dangerous than Red. So Delhi will have to permanently shut down schools=>coaching business expands. Bigger holes in parents’ pockets.
Mains Relevance: GS3: Achievement of Indians, Indigenization of technology.
What is SAFAR?
- SAFAR: System of Air Quality Forecasting and Research (SAFAR)
- Computerized system jointly developed by
- Indian institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune (under Ministry of Earth Science)
- India Meteorological Department (IMD).
Benefits of SAFAR?
- It can Quality of air can be forecasted 24-72 hours in advance.
- it provides data on
- Air Quality Index – health advisory
- UV Index – skin advisory
- Dynamic city pollution maps.
|2010||SAFAR installed in Delhi, during common wealth games. Later in Pune and other cities.|
|2014, May||WHO declares Delhi – the most polluted city on earth. Even bogus than Beijing.|
|2014, October||SAFAR scientists reported October 24 being worst air quality for Delhi and Pune.|
Reason: Diwali Firecrackers. They increased quantity of PM2.5 particles 10 times above WHO-safe level. Therefore, Ex-Health minister Harsh Vardhan wanted “Silent Diwali”- to control both air pollution and noise-pollution.
#3: Smog sucker Chinese Parafoil drone
Mains Relevance: GS3: Sci-tech applications in everyday life; Awareness in Robotics.
|What?||Drone. But basically Generator hanging from a parachute. It doesn’t have wings like a conventional drone.|
|Who?||Aviation industry corp.China|
|Why?||To clear out the smog, particularly near airports, so aeroplane can takeoff and land easily.|
- Parafoil Drone sprays a chemical.
- Chemical freezes the PM2.5 particles, they become heavy and fall down on earth. Thus smog is cleared.
- Single drone can carry ~700 kg of chemical, sufficient to cleanup a 5 square km area from smog. Main beneficiary: airports, tourist resorts etc.
Additional measures (from NCERT class11)
- Plantation of Pinus, Juniparus, Quercus, Pyrus and Vitis. They can metabolise nitrogen oxide and reduce formation of photochemical-smog.
Theory: what is Smog?
|Classical smog||Photochemical smog|
|Smoke + fog + SO2||Sunlight + hydrocarons+ NOX|
|Cool, humid climate||Warm, dry, sunny climate|
|Reducing smog because chemically its reducing mixture.||Oxidizing smog, because it has high concentration of|
Pthalates, Airfresheners and Pollution
- As such there is no dearth of pollutants but Topic appeared in November 2014 Hindu.
- Air-fresheners use Phthalates to suspend the perfume molecules in the air for longer period of time. (from 1920s)
- Phthalates suppress androgenic hormones, retard development in children.
- USA already banned Phthalates in Toys and cosmetics. (2008). But still some air-freshener companies in third world use this chemical.
|Terpenes||They react with ozone=> formaldehyde (Carcinogen)|
|Acetone||Toxic to blood|
|Tolune||Toxic to CNS (Central nervous system)|
Q1. Consider following statements
- (A) Air pollutants known as “PM2.5” increase the chances of heart diseases.
- (R) These microparticles can penetrate deep in lungs and enter in blood circulation.
- Both correct and R explains A
- Both correct but R doesn’t explain A
- A correct but R Wrong
- R correct but A wrong.
Q2. Find incorrect statements about Phthalates
- They’re used in air-fresheners for their fruity-fragrance.
- They enhance androgenic hormones. Hence used in drugs to cure Turner’s syndrome.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q3. find Correct statements about national air-quality index
- Monitors eight pollutants and classifies the air quality of given city into one of the eight categories.
- Will be implemented in all cities and towns of India from 2015 onwards.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q4. Which of the following pollutants, will not be monitored in the national air quality index
- Nitrous Oxide
- Sulfur Oxide
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 4
- Only 1
- Only 3 and 4
Q5. Which of the following are correctly matched?
- Ozone: Photochemical smog
- Sulfur Dioxide: Stiffness in flowerbuds
- Carbon Monoxide: Abortion
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- All of them
Q6. Which of the following can help reducing smog issue in Indian cities?
- Deploying drones to spray special chemicals to freeze PM2.5 particles in the air.
- Putting ban on Diwali crackers.
- Plantation of Pinus, Juniparus, Quercus, Pyrus and Vitis.
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- All of them[/columnize]
GS3: Mains Questions
Answer following in 200 words:
- What is smog? Discuss its types and suggest remedies to prevent formation of smog.
- What policy initiatives have been taken to reduce air pollution in major cities of India? (Similar question on river pollution in 1993).
- Discuss importance of following in 100 words each (1) SAFAR technology (2) Parafoil Drones.
- Write a note on the features, benefits and shortcoming of the national Air quality index (AQI).
Correct Answers for MCQs
- A: Both right and R explains A
- C:Both are wrong.
- D: neither correct.
- D: 3 and 4 will not be monitored.
- D: all of them correctly matched as per NCERT Chemistry class11, chapter 14.
- D: all of them can help.
appreciate ur sense of humour
sir,every bit of efforts that u have put in to make the conceptsclear are quite appreciable..ur painstaking moves are making the pathvisible for many aspirants..thank u very much
Some typo in the smoke + fog table. You have not memtioned which chemical has high percentage in the photochemical smog.
Smog sucker is good concept .. Thanks Mrunal ..
Mrunal sir,why CO2 is not considered as a pollutant in the list of 8 pollutants……!!!?
Co2 was under scanner as it mainly contributed to Global Warming.
Its a GHG. Co2 is essential for photosynthesis and it never affected life directly
Pollutants are harmful to Life.
thanks bro.. :)
Friends with ZOOLOGY as optional can mail me.
Thanks for ur smart work
which article to read from idsa.
i think tht mcq 4th ans may be only ozon (c)
plz gide me my belove frd ,i m preparing for 2015 upsc so when should i start to give test series and which test is valuable in commerical test series age.That test series must affordable and sweet
you can join in insight test series .it is better and cheap. it covers comprehensively the basic part of syllabus..
Join Vision Ias its best in the arena
Mrunal bhai plz write one article
as “before exactly 1 month of mains” -do’s & don’ts
Plz. enlighten us
CGL 2014 TIER I RE EXAM?
Hi, anybody have info about CGL 2014 TIER I RE EXAM?
I have just read an article but could not found discussion elsewhere.
Just visit. truthdive(DOT)com and search “CGL 2014 tier I re exam”. You will get the article.
Hope somebody can give more info.
I checked the link , have some commonsense as well … look at the date of these postings over website. too much mugging up effect , mrunal plz help!!
my parents both are West bengal govt employee group c and salary (both)exceed 6 lacs l belong to sadgope ( this cast belong to obc category in the central list) am I eligible for obc non creamy layer
please anyone help me to answer this question
Eligible for non creamy layer status !!! ab party do Rivu tum …just kidding !!!
Well, salary(and agri) component of the income is not added when arriving at the (final) income figure of your parents. This is the case if one or both of your parents are working for the govt. So I don’t see any problem, as far as you satisfy the rest of the clauses, in suggesting that you could belong to the non-creamy layer. You can see all the clauses at national commission for backwards classes (NCBC) website.
one help me to answer this question
Yes, if both of your parents are Group C employees then their salary income is not counted only income from other sources is considered i.e.this should not exceed 6 lakhs, plus there is some limit on wealth tax if paid (refer the OBC cleamy layer document).
Yes you are eligible for obc non creamy .kudos
Thanks for the guidance and all the help that you are providing us.
I am following your site for a long time and this is my first comment.
Please write an article on “MGNREGA”
Thanks in advance sir and keep up the good work
An IAS aspirant
what is NOX, SOX ??
nitrogen dioxide & sulphur dioxide
1. u hv’nt given composition of chemical used as spray in parafoil drone.
2. There seems typing error in smog section—–Sunlight + hydrocarons. It seems like hydrocarbons is appropriate. pls confirm.
Phthalates or phthalate esters, are esters of phthalic acid and are mainly used as plasticizers (substances added to plastics to increase their flexibility, transparency, durability, and longevity)….. source: internet
which is the safest substitute for phthalate so we can use air-freshner without any harm:
i am planning to file a litigation against phthalates … can any1 pls guide me abt the procedure
Kindly notify me of new post by mail..
Kindly notify me of new post via mail
Please help me regarding the answer for question 4 in MCQ. According to the PIB table all 4 given gases are monitored.
4) D: 3 and 4 will not be monitored.
Please help regarding the answer with explanation.