- Diplomacy & Globalization
- Democracy, Development & Society
- Science, Religion & Misc.
- Ethics/ Mains General Studies paper 4
Write an essay on following topics in 1200-1500 words each in 3 hours.
- “If the basics of a just world economic order are absent, a just world communication order is an illusion.” (Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer)
- To claim its rightful place in the world, India has to reinvent itself as a more competitive, confident and secure country first.
- A true sovereignty is an absolutely necessary condition of the existence any state. (Putin)
- Can robust foreign policy sustain without foundation of a strong domestic policy?
- The arc of failing, revanchist and scofflaw states around India.
- Is free trade always a fair trade? (Jaitley says not when companies use it for tax avoidance and tax evasion)
- In an increasingly globalized world, isolating domestic priorities from international standing, is difficult. (Context: WTO- India wants food security but can’t afford to be isolated on TFA either, same on climate change, free-trade, nuclear disarmament etc.)
- Information without communication is social suffocation (Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer)
- Importance of Social media as the free platform for collective expressions of a vibrant citizenry.
- At the heart of democracy is access to information.
- Only non-violent interactions between different ideologies and disciplines will strengthen democracy in any country. (P. K. Pokker)
- If development is made a people’s movement…..(Madhav Gadgil column.)
- Is harsh economic environment a necessary obstacle for Indians to overcome? (Putin says atleast it is essential for “Patriotic Russians”.)
- Is rightist tilt bad for Indian education and polity?
- Prospects and dangers of a fully developed artificial intelligence. (Stephen Hawking says it can wipe out human race just like in Terminator 3.)
- Essence of the Gita, Bible and Kuran lies in their substance and not in symbolism. (Context: Foreign minister’s demand to declare Gita as national scripture).
- Time and tide wait for no man. (Yes, even such clichéd proverbs are now “essay worthy” topics after Mains 2014 paper!)
- (Non-serious) “Is science a dwarf in front of astrology?” (BJP MP Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank says yes it is.)
Discuss/elaborate/examine following quotes/statements in 200 words each.
- If contemporary India is to survive, citizens must comprehend the values of mutual sharing.
- Examine the need to cultivate a stronger culture of self-reliance among Indian youth.
- A good administrator must be a raging egalitarian, an invisible socialist, and an economic democrat.
- A good administrator has nothing to hide and everything to discover without fear or favour.
- Success of the initiatives taken for Accountability and autonomy depends on depend on the caliber of men entrusted with the tasks of governance.
- The very concept of VIP culture is an anathema to a socialist democracy. (Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer)
- Discuss the importance of Democratic processes and shareholder participation for an effective governance.
- The timeless values in life- mutual understanding, attitudes of sharing, and tolerance for others.
- Technocratic top-down systems of management are largely ineffective in public service. Do you agree?
- If you can fill the unforgiving minute, with sixty seconds’ worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it.” (Rudyard Kipling)
- “If I can stop one heart from breaking I shall not live in vain, If I can ease one life the aching, I shall not live in vain.” (Emily Dickinson)
- Suggest remedies for elimination neglect, abuse and violence against old persons in India. (In Mains-2014, they asked similar question about women)
|Post comment below containing topic and keypoints of your essay.||draft essay in MS word, upload It on Google drive. (or write on paper, scan and upload as pdf on google drive) Then comment below this article with two things:
For earlier lists, visit Mrunal.org/essays.