- Polity: rights issues
- History: Lala Lajpat Rai- 150th Birth Anniversary
- History and Culture: Misc
- Diplomacy and international relations
Here are the notable news items from history, Polity and diplomatic front from 2016, January week2.
- During the Indo-Pak war of 1965 and 1971, some Indians migrated to Pakistan. So, Union Government took over their property.
- The Tashkent Declaration mandated that both sides will return such properties to each other but later Pak.Government disposed all such properties in their possession. So, we have no moral obligations to return property of those ‘enemies’.
- Now, President has issued ordinance to Enemy Property Act, 1968. to ensure that enemy property vested in the Custodian remain so and they do not revert back to the enemy
- In Kerala’s law, if a toddy shop owner is found with brew with >8.1% ethyl alcohol, then he can be jailed.
- Because welfare state has to ensure all customers get clean and healthy desi beverages. (DPSP?!!)
- Counter argument: not possible to scientifically monitor fermentation process, so such arbitrary quality norm will hurt toddy-shops and their sustainable livelihood.
|Temple Entry for Women||
|Right to dress||
|Right to name airports after Rajiv Gandhi/Din Dayal||
|Right to education||
|Protection of children||
|Right to anonymity after theft||
In recent mains, we see atleast one question coming from the “separation of Powers” topic under General Studies Mains paper2. So, let’s see what’s new controversy in this topic?
- Jallikattu is Tamil Nadu’s traditional bull-taming sport, ahead of the Pongal festival.
- As per A.L. Basham’s book, ‘The Wonder that is India’- “though Tamil literature gives no evidence of bullfight as a test of manhood, the bullfight had certainly some ritual significance.”
- 2011: Environment ministry’s notification banned bulltaming and bull racing, after SC judgement
- 2016: MoEF had lifted the ban on Jallikattu and bullock cart race to appease the rural voters in Tamilnadu and Maharashtra respectively but SC stayed MoEF’s notification.
- Although Government can issue ordinance to counter SC directive, but it’ll legislative usurpation of Judicial power.
- Besides, Under Art.32, any citizen can again approach SC against such law, because executive has no arbitrary right to promulgate ordinances.
- Constitution Article 276: State or local governments can impose taxes on professionals up to Rs.2,500 per person annually.
- Kolkata and many muni. Corporate collect it. Now South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) also thinking the same, to increase revenue resources.
- 14th Finance commission under Y.V.Reddy, has recommended increasing this ceiling so municipal bodies have more revenue resources.
Lala Lajpat Rai-150th Birth Anniversary completed in 2015 (he was born on 28/01/1865). Given UPSC’s recent trend of asking about topics one year past its expiry date- topic becomes important for CSE-2016.
|Birth and death||
|Thoughts||“There is no life without freedom and there is no Freedom without ‘Swarajya’ or self –government.
|Travel||To US, Japan and England|
|Nickname||Punjab Kesari- (Lion of Punjab), for protesting against Rowallat Act|
|Author & editor||Books/journals written by freedom fights are important for MCQs- we see re-emergence of this trend in UPSC with recently conducted APFC/EPFO exam 2016.
- Raagam: 24×7 radio satellite channel -airing Carnatic and Hindustani music, by Prasar Bharati. Can be watched on TV also. Will be launched from 26th January 2016.
- Culture ministry’s CCRT is doing ‘Cultural Mapping of India’ with help of NIC. The data will be used for providing grant-in-aid and pensions to artisans.
- 15th Jan is Army Day. This year, following martial dances /performance will be highlighted: ‘Lezim’ from Maharashtra and ‘Chang Dance’ from Rajasthan and Dhawa- Infantry Soldier’s bayonet training drill.
- On January 9, 1915 Gandhi returned from S.Africa hence we celebrate it as Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD).
- 2016: First limited edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas- organized by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) [because overseas affairs ministry is merged with it]/ Since 2015, Government decided to hold PBD conference on biennial basis.
- So next full fledged conference, in 2017.
- 2016: only limited scale celebration @Delhi. Notable dignitary- Priti Patel, MoS for Employment, United Kingdom. Notable proposal- giving Adhar Card to NRIs (and even OCIs)
- Ministry of Overseas Indian Afairs merged with MEA to avoid duplication of work and increase MEA’s efficiency.
- Pak Army attacked Indian consulate; Afghan police believes that attackers on Indian consulate @Marar-e-Sharif were Pakistani soldiers and officers, given the special tactics used by them.
- Pakistan detains Jaish-e-Mohd. founder Masood Azhar for questioning about Pathankot airbase terrorist attack. Circle of life/ terrorism complete. Earlier Pakis attacked Indian consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif, now ISIS attacks Pak consulate in Afghanistan.
- In 2015-December, ‘Heart of Asia’ conference @Islamabad for financial aid to Afghanistan. 2016-Jan; Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States began talks to revive the Afghan peace process. But Talibans not invited since their leader Mullah Mohammad Omar had been dead for more than two years, and no clear leadership has emerged. But to make their presence felt, Talibans increased attack frequency in recent weeks and took over Helmand province- nearly all of World’s heroin comes from the poppy cultivate here.
- Maroon Berets: These are the Parachute Regiment soldiers setup before independence and participated in the Second World War.
- Last year, they eliminated terrorist camps in Myanmar.
- Unlike regular Army soldiers, this Parachute Regiment soldiers are equipped with Israeli Tavor-M assault rifles, Galil sniper rifles, M4A1 carbines, and Beretta and Uzi pistols.
- They are known as “Maroon Berets” because of their characteristic maroon caps. Experts believe if they were used in Pathankot airbase operation, it’d have ended quickly with minimal casualties.
- Swaraksha caravan campaign for raising awareness on human trafficking in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- The undivided Andhra Pradesh contributes the second largest share in human trafficking network in India.
- This campaign is funded by United States Consulate.
- US Arms Export Control Act requires the president to notify US Congress before selling military equipment to another Government. Obama wants to sell F-16 jets to Pak, but Congress doesn’t seem happy.
- China to have 4 defense arms – army, navy, airforce and PLA Rocket Force (PRF)- to look after its conventional and nuclear missiles, which can employed on land, sea and air. While Russia and USA cutting down their nuke missiles under arms control agreements, they don’t apply to China.
- B61 Model 12: New US missile system that can deliver small sized nuclear warheads. Russia angry, because smaller yields and better targeting can make the arms more tempting to use. So, instead of ‘deterrent’, US may feel tempted to use them first.
Legacy of President Barack Obama
Obama’s 4 points for Future of USA
- Middle class should get opportunities
- Combating climate change combat
- protecting Americans on foreign soil without military intervention
- stopping anti-minority agenda in US politics;
Next part: Science tech and environment related developments from January week2, 2016.