- Polity & Appointment related
- International Summits/ Appointments
Polity & Appointment related
|Ashok Lahiri Committee||Ex-Chief economic advisor- will look into the demands of jewelers after government’s decision to impose 1% excise duty on non-silver jewelry in budget-2016|
|CJI T.S.Thakur||Cried on public stage after he became emotional about the issue of judicial vacancies.|
|Jammu & Kashmir||PDP’s Mehbooba Mufti become first woman CM of Jammu & Kashmir under PDP-BJP coalition. Earlier worked in Bombay Mercantile Bank and East West Airlines for one year each. Has no experience in holding any political office in government.|
|Right to contest panchayat Elections||
|Shushila Karki||First female chief justice of Nepal.|
New nominated Rajya Sabha members
- On advice of Government, President nominates 12 persons associated with literature, science, sports, films, media, art and social service to the Upper House. (Art.80/1)
- They need not declare assets under RPA act. (unlike the elected members, who have to declare within 90 days of taking oath).
- They can vote in Vice President election but not in President election.
- Within 6 months of taking oath, they can join any political party, if they wish. If they join a party, they’ve to follow its whip, and get more time to speak during debates.
- Usually, they don’t become ministers, but in ’68 Indira Gandhi had given minister of state post to one of the nominated member- Nurul Hasan.
- In 2016, there were a total of seven vacancies, but the government filled six of them. names disclosed by Home Ministry-
|Person||Why NDA Government chose him?|
|Subramanian Swamy||he had worked relentlessly in the National Herald case against Rahul and Sonia Gandhi.|
|Ex-Cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu||He had to vacate his Amritsar Lok Sabha seat for Jaitley (who did not win). To prevent him from switching over to AAP, he’s given Rajya sabha seat.|
|Boxing star MC Mary Kom||
|Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi (Nair)||In Kerala, BJP has sympathizers in Ezhava community, but not among Nair, So, this actor chosen to compete against Congi Shashi Tharoor (Nair)|
|Journalist Swapan Dasgupta||For defending BJP in print and television shows for a long time.|
|Narendra Jadhav||Dalit from Maharashtra. Ex-planning commission, Ex-NAC member.|
What if there is tie in municipal election?
- April-2016: Gandhinagar Municipal election in Gujarat. Tie between Cong. And BJP as both won 16 seats each.
- Now how to elect mayor? As per Gujarat state act- corporators will be invited for voting to choose Mayor- if tie again, then drawing of chits to select winner.
- Rotational quota system in Mayor seat- This time Gandhinagar Mayor seat belongs to General category male.
Polity Reform: Simultaneous Elections
Modi suggests that national, state and local elections should be held simultaneously, like Sweden and South Africa are doing- for national and provincial elections.
|Pro: we should do it?||Cons- why we shouldn’t do it?|
International Summits/ Appointments
India-US & LEMA Dev
- LEMA: logistics exchange memorandum of agreement- to provide fuel, supplies to each other’s armed forces from their bases. But American troops can’t be stationed in Indian soil.
- Earlier DTTI: Defense Trade and technology initiative- for co-development and co-production.
- Visa issue: US government increased the fees for H1B and L1 visas, hence India Upset. Additionally, USA doesn’t have localization agreement with India hence, Indian workers are charged social security tax in USA but if they return to India within short term, they get no benefit of it.
- Modi to address Joint US Congress in June 2016.
India-Saudi & Cheraman Juma Masjid
- Modi gifted him a gold plated replica of Cheraman Juma Masjid- the oldest mosque in India- located in Thissur district of Kerala, built in 629AD during the time of Chera King Cherman Perumal- who travelled to Arabia.
- Modi given highest civilian award “The Order of Abdullah” by King Salman.
- Pact for Indian Blue workers’ protection.
- Decline in the oil prices has affected Saudi Economy, therefore they are keen to increase the trade ties with India.
|Christine Lagarde||2nd term as IMF chief, will begin from July 2016 for next five years. Although India supported her candidacy, they’ve have asked next IMF chief should be from emerging economy country.|
|G20 leaders’ summit||To be held in China in September.|
|GCC||Gulf cooperation council’s ministerial meeting held at Manama, Bahrain.|
|Global Tiger forum||
|India EU Summit||Held at Brussels, Belgium|
|Judges 3-day retreat||
|Nuclear Security Summit||
|OIC||Organization of Islamic countries- in the latest summit they expressed concerns over human rights violation in Jammu & Kashmir; India maintains OIC has no local standi to say anything over this issue.|
Upcoming second Part: Books, Movies, Sports and Science-innovation in news