- Selection process of UN Secretary General
- Latest selection: Antonio Guterres
- Informal rotation system
- UN Secretary General: significance and limitations
Selection process of UN Secretary General
Q. Discuss in brief, the selection procedure for the post of United Nations Secretary General.
संयुक्त राष्ट्र महासचिव पद की चयन प्रक्रिया की संक्षिप्त में चर्चा करें।
- Nations send applications of candidates to UN Security Council (UNSC) [15 members]
- UNSC takes a series of “Straw Polls” to decide the most favored candidate.
- In this straw-poll, the UNSC members have three options:
- encourage a candidate
- discourage a candidate
- If permanent member gives ‘discourage‘ vote to a candidate, then it’s same as exercise of veto power. e.g. In 2006 selection, USA vetoed Shashi Tharoor, because President Bush wanted winner from his stronger ally (South Korea’s Ban Ki Moon).
- To become the UNSC Topper, a candidate must win minimum 10 out of 15 votes (=2/3rd Majority) and no veto from a permanent member.
- After clearing UPSC UNSC, Topper’s is forwarded to DoPT UN General assembly (193 members) for final confirmation.
- So far in history, UNGA has never rejected any name forwarded by UNSC.
- Term: five years. Technically, there is no age, attempt or term limit. But no Secretary general has served for more than two terms i.e. 5 x 2 = 10 years. Ban ki Moon’s second term ended on 31/12/2016.
Latest Topper: Antonio Guterres – the 9th Secretary General of UN
- Antonio Guterres will replace Ban Ki Moon (S.Korea) as ninth UN secretary general from 1/1/2017.
- Earlier, Antonio has served as Portugal’s PM and UN high commissioner for refugees.
- So far no woman secretary-general.
- This time, UNESCO chief Irina Bokova and few other women had thrown their hats in the ring but no success in the UNSC voting.
Informal rotation system
- Traditionally, candidates from the Permanent Five members of the Security Council (China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States), are not considered for the position of Secretary-General to avoid further concentration of power within the UN.
- As per informal arrangement, UN Secretary General job rotates among Four Regions:
UN Secretary General: function, significance and limitations
Q. “UN Secretary General is neither ‘Secretary’ nor ‘General’ of united nations.” Examine critically.
“संयुक्त राष्ट्र महासचिव न तो संयुक्त राष्ट्र के ‘सचिव’ है न तो ‘सेनापति”. समालोचनात्मक परिक्षण करे.
|Significance of Secretary General||Limitations of his office|
|He’s the chief administrative officer of United nations. [UN Charter #97]||
|He is answerable to every nation on earth — and no nation at all.||
|In this Left hand column, we learned what he can do via moral authority and personal initiative.||In this Right hand column, we saw how his efforts can be frustrated by P5, 1st world, and bureaucratic redtapes.|
- Red tapes of UN bureaucracy, money power of first world and Veto power of P5 create obstacles for the Secretary General.
- Therefore, effectiveness of UN Secretary General depends more on the moral authority of the office-bearer than the formal authority of office itself. (similar to Aag Paani aur Rajanbhai).
Visit Mrunal.org/diplomacy for more study material on international relation and diplomacy for UPSC prelims and Mains General Studies Paper-2.
I have a quick question about qualifying for prelims 2017..I will be turning 35 on Oct 14 2017 and belong to OBC non creamy layer . I would like to know if I will be eligible to apply for 2017 prelims, mains and interview process..Please help
yes you will be eligible for 2017 as age will be reckoned as on 1.8.2017 (less than 35 for OBC).
Thanks KSS. Much Appreciated
Can you please upload Ancient And Medieval history lecture.And Thanks to Pratik Sir they did great job!
hello sir i m preparing for upsc 2017 and economy videos are of yr 2015 so plz guide me which of the videos are relevant for 2017 exam or all are important
Sonakshi On 26, exam of EPFO AO/EO is scheduled to be held…APFC exam is yet to be notified
Sir, can we infer that the biggest multilateral organization, UN, has a head who is merely a pawn in the hands of western powers ?
Superrrr article !
mrunal sir , this article and including previously all the relevant one should go in the mains and prelims section .. so that one does not require to find here and there in Mrunal .Org .. because sometimes we dont find some articles and have to search in back pages .. its time consuming and still we dont even get that … so please sir though your ppts and downloads section are perfectly and properly arranged .. please sir maai- baap just to remind you that it will be very helpful for us … the aspirants … thank you sir .. \,,/
mrunal sir , this article and including previously all the relevant one should go in the mains and prelims section .. so that one does not require to find here and there in Mrunal Org .. because sometimes we dont find some articles and have to search in back pages .. its time consuming and still we dont even get that … so please sir though your ppts and downloads section are perfectly and properly arranged .. please sir maai- baap just to remind you that it will be very helpful for us … the aspirants … thank you sir .. \,,/
kya point marte ho boss!
Thank you a lot sir for ur kind efforts..
Plz provide ur lecture series for economics, art and culture (in more detail), environment this year.
Thanx a lot sir…..
Your all video lectures are very nice…..
I cleared all my basic concepts…..
And also your website is providing very good current affairs…….
Excellent job sir…….
thank you sir ???
Sir some contents are better conveyed in web format (as this one ) in place of video lectors…so please provide more and more materials in this web format pls..
Sir some contents are better conveyed in web format (as this one ) in place of video lectures…so please provide more and more materials in this web format pls..
Good Avery time friends
That’s you are correct information to Accept liability and Learn the both Common guidance correct syllabus and then you Mock Test Avery weekly And learn monthly Current affairs in prelims exam
Hi friends, I have one doubt regarding ‘protected forests’. What is a protected forest? And what are the activities allowed in that? Like grazing,taking headloads of wood,collecting forest produce for their own use etc ?? Please clarify me thanking you.
Outstanding and very precise information sir…
Thankyou very much.
@Mrunal Sir Please upload polity’s lecture too..
thank you very much ..sir
Your every article is so precise and exactly in the purview of exams, sir. Even people who don’t have to appear in any exam can collect opinions from this…..
Hello sir, I’m a second year student continueing my graduation(PHYSICS).Now it’s my semester-break and my age is 19 years.So as an aspirant for Civil Services ,what should be my 1st step as you think ?
Please suggest me proper steps to follow to achieve my Galaxy !
you should start covering ncert first then only you think about other books
Pls review vision ias mains foundation course. Is it worth joining ?
Thank you sir.
I am graduate with geography, and I want to become an IAS.Now I am 23 years old. I have finally selected in ssc CHSLE.what steps should I follow? Please suggest me.
Sir i want material in Hindi.
Sir when is soft asset commissioner notifications likely to be issued.
I require the updates to the posts.